PDA

View Full Version : Bored...

~LoKe
November 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM
I'm currently in my trade training for my military career and we have two weeks devoted to intro to UNIX. However, I already know how to do what they're going to teach us (I looked through the course book).

What can I do with a UNIX box that's not connected to the internet (but networked with everyone else's) that will keep me occupied/entertained?

eternalnewbee
November 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
SameGnome...

Saint Angeles
November 1st, 2008, 06:47 AM
gweled

OutOfReach
November 1st, 2008, 06:50 AM
A nice game of Tetris?

handy
November 1st, 2008, 07:08 AM
run a game server... ;-)

DirtDawg
November 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Nethack.

Lostincyberspace
November 1st, 2008, 07:22 AM
Not connected, If you could download Americas Army and play that.

Here is the link.
http://americasarmy.filefront.com/file/AASF_Direct_Action_v25_Linux_Full_Install;49654

It is about the size of a cd a little bigger, so a GB thumb drive would work great.

~LoKe
November 1st, 2008, 11:03 PM
It is about the size of a cd a little bigger, so a GB thumb drive would work great.

Can't bring any electronics into the school I'm in. Security's a bit tight. No cell's, PDA's, thumbdrives, disc's, etc.

chucky chuckaluck
November 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM
use espeak to tell jokes to everyone.

jimi_hendrix
November 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM
make your own game during class?

koenn
November 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
What can I do with a UNIX box that's not connected to the internet (but networked with everyone else's) that will keep me occupied/entertained?
check if it has talk installed and chat with other users on other boxes (man talk)
or send messages to all users (man wall)

classic : send something like "format c:\ [YN]?" or pretend you're a virus.

use standard network tools (ping, traceroute, ...) and see if you can map out the network from behind your keyboard.
See if you can log in on any of the other machines remotely and look around a bit.

take up ASCII art

write a board game in shell script and see if you can win it.

If it's a good game, figure out if you can transfer it to other computers on the network. Maybe figure out how to play the game over the network.

If you happen to stumple upon a computer that seems to enjoy playing games, log out immediately and inform your commanding officer that you may have triggered WW III.