PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't focus on a window properly

botulismo
November 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM
I really had no idea how to title this. I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 and for some reason or other I cannot simply click on another window for it to get focus. It is raised to the top, but the window itself is not focused.

This is how it happens: I have two visible windows open, and I click the other so that I can use it. It appears to be on top now, but the color of the title bar doesn't change and I can't interact with the program.

In order for me to get focus, I have to click on the window switcher on the bottom each time. This is really distracting and annoying. Why would this be?

In addition, if anyone knows, why doesn't Pidgin blink when I get a message anymore?

botulismo
November 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
P.S. I suspect, though I'm not quite sure, that this involves a setting in Compiz. I'm currently on my Windows side (dual boot) but will report back. If so, what setting in Compiz could it be? :-/

Pidgin didn't appear to blink in the LiveCD either. What's up with that? I'm sure these seem like small things but if they are at all common it's sure to frustrate Ubuntu users.

ykssky
November 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM
hi, I found it was the same issue as fedora 9. Also this version can not input proper ASII " and ' marks, which makes writing code annoying...

botulismo
November 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
Well, it seems that the inability of Ubuntu to focus to the appropriate window properly has something to do with Compiz. I tried disabling each plugin but none of this had any effect. This must be a problem within Compiz.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would downgrading to an earlier version of Compiz help?

I can't go back to an earlier version of Ubuntu because my hardware simply won't work on earlier versions. I would do that in heartbeat if it were possible.

Pidgin was unaffected. I was looking into installing an earlier version but there were no deb packages available that would install (the repositories had earlier ones but the packages wouldn't install for some reason.)

moktor
November 5th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Unfortunately I had the same exact problem. The only way I was able to resolve it was to disable compiz, which really is quite disappointing.