PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the friend's feature?

kevdog
November 1st, 2008, 03:59 AM
I don't have many "ubuntu" friends -- and with the one's I have -- I never use the friend's features. I think this option is totally overrated! Particularly for new members, whom I never spoken to or helped, that invite me to become friends. That's kind of creepy if you ask me!

cardinals_fan
November 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM
I accept when asked, but I don't send any out. It's pointless.

t0p
November 1st, 2008, 04:06 AM
I have no friends on these forums.

Uncanny how closely this reflects real life!! :(

handy
November 1st, 2008, 04:15 AM

I do the same.

I've never really understood what the purpose of this feature is?

If anyone does know, could you please explain?

Polygon
November 1st, 2008, 05:21 AM
its just a part of the forum software (vbullitin) . on some forums its useful, to keep track of people you like to keep in close contact with.

eternalnewbee
November 1st, 2008, 05:32 AM
I asked to befriend someone who had helped me out several times, just to express my gratitude.

zmjjmz
November 1st, 2008, 05:46 AM
What I don't get is that this isn't facebook, no matter how much it's turning into it.
Social Groups, Friends, Walls, PM's, Polls, Photo Albums, etc.

steveydoteu
November 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
As stated above, its vBulletin adding features to newer releases, and of course the administrators from a security point of view are going to keep uptodate, so we have to have the new features like them or not. Its no big deal really, just ignore them?

Felixworks
November 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Just watch all (both actually, yes I'm a snoop :)) his friends come see this now. Internet awkwardness! But yes, I agree.

barbedsaber
November 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have a friend that I met here.

ciscosurfer
November 1st, 2008, 09:26 AM
...particularly for new members, whom I never spoken to or helped, that invite me to become friends. That's kind of creepy if you ask me!I will befriend a forum member when I've found their advice or assistance valuable in some way. Maybe they share similar interests with me. I'll usually add them as a contact so I can have quick access to their posts, etc. You may have never spoken to them directly, but that doesn't mean you haven't contributed to their overall experience in a positive way. My ultimate thoughts on it all: the friend feature is simply another way for people to connect.

billgoldberg
November 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM

Ditto.