PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 upgrade not seen

mikemosher
November 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM
Hey all,

Using the Update-Manager, I chose the 'upgrade to 8.10' option this morning. It downloaded the upgrade tool, updated the sources, and asked me to proceed. Seeing that the download would take 5 hours, I decided to hold off until tonight, and choose cancel.

I had an issue after that with the sources list. There was a NO_PUBKEY issue, so I updated the sources.list and keys, and it's working now.

The issue is that I update the repository, and it doesn't see the 8.10 update anymore.

What do I have to do to see the update??!!

Thanks in advance.

Anxiety35
November 1st, 2008, 03:36 AM
I had a problem where I got disconnected partway through the downloads, and was getting an error when trying to update later.

What seems to work perfectly, even if you're stuck in the middle, is to upgrade using the alternate CD.

Instructions:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD/DVD

mikemosher
November 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the link. I didn't see a download link for the alt CD. I don't really want to download the full 8.10 OS. Is the alternative CD the full OS? Also, is there a way that I can just download the upgrade tool? without waiting for update-manager to recognize the update?

Again, thanks for the help.

Anxiety35
November 1st, 2008, 03:51 AM
The alternative cd is 570mb, about 120mb smaller than the live cd.

So yes, unfortunately you do have to download the entire thing. I don't know of any way to just download an upgrade tool.

Here's the iso if you're going to use it though:
http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso

mikemosher
November 1st, 2008, 03:54 AM
Hey man, Thanks.

I appreciate the help in this.

atari_eric
November 14th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Why is it impossible to upgrade using the Live CD iso? It doesn't seem to make any sense - how much is necessary to make the Live iso an upgrade source?