PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few questions before upgrading to 8.10

nerd0795
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
I'm just about to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 :)

But I have a few questions:

1) I have a dual boot with Windows Vista. This is my family's computer. I'm the only one who uses Ubuntu so I don't want to screw up the dual boot. Will this affect the dual boot (I guess not, but just to be on the safe side)

2) Is my hardware compatable with it?
Ati Radeon Express 1250
Realtek High Definition Audio

My computer is an Acer Aspire t671

3) Is the update safe?

I have a few more but stupid vista is pulling a I updated without permission and u have to restart in 2 min or else I shut the computer down automatically.

Finally got back on my computer after the restart here are more:

4) I was messing around with Ubuntu and stuff (installing, customizing it) and some things i don't like about it. Such as the using usplash (now after that I get this GNOME is loading splash screen after logging in. There is also a few other things? Will the upgrade fix those problems?

em4r1z
November 1st, 2008, 12:39 AM
1. No.

2. Try the hardware compatibility list, search this board and the net. This will give you more/faster answers.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/

3. Yes.
Keep in mind that you don't need to upgrade. You'll get new features that you may or may not use and critical issues are patched for every supported version.

4. Most likely, no, for an upgrade uses the former settings.
Solving issues caused by customization isn't the purpouse of an upgrade.

liveB
November 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
I love Ubuntu... BUT

I wish I had had the foresight to send in this question before I went to 8.10
I wish someone had pointed me to the internet and config. problems you MIGHT run into (I now have a pitifully slow connection, despite paying for cable-modem and My Dvorak keyboard resets on boot to US "standard", which I haven't used in 15 years).
I wish you luck, but if I were you I'd let 8.10 stabilize a little more unless you're a power user.

Ed
None of the above is sent with malice towards the developers, just a little wish list I compiled. Keep up the good work, I just wish I could revert to 8.04 FOR NOW.

nerd0795
November 1st, 2008, 12:46 AM
Thank you!