PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 64 processor

susanpenter
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
I have realized that I have the normal version of Ubuntu installed on my computer (totally not shared with XP) and yet I've just realized that I have the AMD 64 sticker on my PC box. Am I missing anything by not installing a 64 version as everything seems to run quite quickly?

Cheers

zvacet
November 1st, 2008, 12:51 AM
Am I missing anything by not installing a 64 version as everything seems to run quite quickly?

No,you are not.Which version you will install depends on ram not procesor.For example,if you have >4GB of ram you can install 64 bit version(thay are other ways to use all ram with 32 bit but that is another story).In short,if you donīt have > 4GB of ram you can use 32 bit version with no problems.

cariboo
November 1st, 2008, 01:01 AM
Depending on your system, it could possibly run faster with a 6bit distribution. I've been running a 64bit version since 6.04 and I am happy with the performance. I have 2Gb ram and a dual core AMD processor.

Jim

aeiah
November 1st, 2008, 01:09 AM
the performance increase isnt that great. if you're reading with heavy duty video or audio encoding/decoding you may find the 64bit version a bit quicker, because certain programs have been optimised to take advantage of 64bit numbercrunching stuff, but the difference wont be massive. it used to be the case that the 64bit version was less stable than the 32bit, with some problems arising from flash etc but i think this has been pretty much solved. in short, perhaps try out the 64bit version next time, but there's no point wasting time reinstalling because the difference is minimal.

th89
November 1st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Check out:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=368607

They go into detail about what the advantages and disadvantages are of using a 64bit distro. I personally use a 32bit distro even though I have a 64bit processor.

susanpenter
November 1st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for that everyone, I will stay with this installation then.

Cheers

lisati
November 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM
I have realized that I have the normal version of Ubuntu installed on my computer (totally not shared with XP) and yet I've just realized that I have the AMD 64 sticker on my PC box. Am I missing anything by not installing a 64 version as everything seems to run quite quickly?

Cheers

<off topic>The sticker on my new laptop says Windows Home Basic, but when I powered it up for the first time, the logo said Windows Hoe premium. And yes, it has a 64-bit capable processor</off topic>