PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Get old shutdown menu back

onlythetim
October 31st, 2008, 07:45 PM
I just upgraded to ibex, and I am displeased with the new shutdown menu. First of all, it doesn't look as good as the old one, but most annoyingly there are now two different windows for shutdown and logout. I used to have it set up where I would get all these options when I pressed the power button on my laptop.

Is it possible to get the old shutdown menu (where the screen fades, and I can shutdown, restart, sleep, hibernate, logout, or switch users) back?

Thanks.

Kobus Retief
October 31st, 2008, 08:00 PM
I suspect you'll find yourself disappointed. There's a big thread on the subject here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=955176, but it seems like it's yet another "let's-change-things-without-consulting-anybody-else" situation. I feel roughly the same about the new Gimp interface -- I much preferred the 2.4 setup, but the developers have spoken, and they will not be jilted. Sigh.

My solution: run my laptop without any shutdown/logout/user_switch applets, and depend on the power manager to suspend when I close the screen, and shut down when I press the power button. That's the kind of interface that makes sense to me. But I'm sure it'll be "deprecated" in the next release...

Seriously, guys, sometimes change purely for the sake of change is just a little overrated.

unmole
May 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Argh! I cant stand the new user switcher thing........is there any way to get back the old shutdown menu? I dont mind compiling.

DLG102282
May 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
No