PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu 8.10 vs Kubuntu 8.10. Which is faster?

syms
October 31st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hi,
Does Kubuntu 8.10 with kde4 maked it? Does kubuntu's performance is better than ubuntu's? ive also heard that kubuntu 8.10 kde session should startup in few seconds, is this true? thanks

B3Nji
November 1st, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hi,
Does Kubuntu 8.10 with kde4 maked it? Does kubuntu's performance is better than ubuntu's? ive also heard that kubuntu 8.10 kde session should startup in few seconds, is this true? thanks

Having used Ubuntu from Breezy Badger through to Ibex, I can confirm the Ubuntu has become slower over time. I am now running kubuntu 8.10 with kde4.1 . Its lighting fast compared to Ubuntu.

I don't know why I have been using Ubuntu all this time, KDE seems to be so much better. More professional and has a great polished look and feel to it.

I have tried to use KDE in the past, I hated KDE3, the first versions of KDE4 sucked. I hoped that one day it would mature and just work.

Yesterday was that day.
Try it out, you will see the difference.
People have always said the KDE is much faster to use than GNOME.

After all Linus Torvalds is an avid KDE promoter, he has been known to slate GNOME.

If the creator of Linux uses it, it must be good!

Have fun :)

syms
November 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM
Having used Ubuntu from Breezy Badger through to Ibex, I can confirm the Ubuntu has become slower over time. I am now running kubuntu 8.10 with kde4.1 . Its lighting fast compared to Ubuntu.

I don't know why I have been using Ubuntu all this time, KDE seems to be so much better. More professional and has a great polished look and feel to it.

I have tried to use KDE in the past, I hated KDE3, the first versions of KDE4 sucked. I hoped that one day it would mature and just work.

Yesterday was that day.
Try it out, you will see the difference.
People have always said the KDE is much faster to use than GNOME.

After all Linus Torvalds is an avid KDE promoter, he has been known to slate GNOME.

If the creator of Linux uses it, it must be good!

Have fun :)

You impressed me about the performance, thanks!

shae
November 1st, 2008, 10:43 PM
In perceived speed I would give Kubuntu a slight edge.

But, I found Kubuntu 8.10 to not be satisfactorily stable. At random some programs would segfault, fail to load, etc. I do not think KDE 4 is a finished desktop product yet.

STrRedWolf
November 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM
In perceived speed I would give Kubuntu a slight edge.

But, I found Kubuntu 8.10 to not be satisfactorily stable. At random some programs would segfault, fail to load, etc. I do not think KDE 4 is a finished desktop product yet.

I'm with you. I'm seeing various small issues that shouldn't of even need a bugfix before being released:

Mouse theme doesn't stick, constantly resets to Oxygen (Can I get rid of this?).
Dolphin is a horrible replacement for power users in place of file management mode Konqueror.
Quartz window theme breaks on draw.
Internal themes need a surgeon to remove fat around the UI (spacing and padding) and tighten everything up.

I'm *VERY* tempted to drop back to KUbuntu 8.04 or switch Xubuntu 8.10 for a 9" netbook. I think the latter may be better off.

perlluver
November 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Using Ubuntu, and from what I have seen Gnome is much faster than Kubuntu 8.10. Took me about 2 minutes to get it started up after I clicked login. Also some of the bugs are still present in it. Just can't seem to get KDE to run right.

Murrquan
November 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
I think it's pretty fast. It has some annoying quirks, though, like not being able to turn off the spell-check. I'm trying to get used to it.

LucasHenderson
November 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Perhaps on newer hardware it works differently, but on my P3 laptop, Kubuntu 8.10 is much slower than Ubuntu 8.10 w/ gnome. I'm sure it could be tweaked and slimmed down, but with the default settings, kubuntu is too slow for me to use effectively.

mbezik
November 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
ive tried kubuntu 8.10 and i did think the kde enviroment was much sharper and faster than gnome but i also suffered random crashes and system hangs which i have never experienced using ubuntu 8.10 - my machine is a pretty new system with dual core chip and gtx260 gfx card.

I just noticed that there was a studio version of ubuntu for music but looks like my motu 2408 is never gonna be supported by linux - maybe its time for me to jump to a different card...

ChiaGod
November 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm running a triple head display (two monitors joined with twinview, third added through xinerama).

It was very fast with KDE 3.5 (Kubuntu 8.04), with KDE 4.1 (8.10) it felt very sluggish.
Compounding the issue of speed were several things:
1) Wallpapers and most effects (widgets) could only be added to the left two displays (the twinview display)
2) No desktop icons (tried the folderview widget, didn't cut it).
3) Can't auto-hide panel!?! Seriously?
4) Icons in panel were too wide (clock took about 1/3rd of panel)
5) Not very intuitive in setting up, moving, resizing widgets.

After years of using KDE in my main desktop I decided to switch to gnome. My experience so far:
1. It was significantly faster,
2. No noticeable slowdown in 3d rendering when the window was between the 2nd and 3rd monitor (KDE 4.1 i noted a 20% slowdown).
3. Auto-hiding panel (though not all the way like in KDE 3.5).
4. I can use KWin to regain my ability to hide window borders (useful when running a 3d game in a faux-full screen mode). ( kwin --replace )
5. It's different, but growing on me.

I can appreciate the work that's gone into KDE 4.1, it did look nice (save for the huge panel widget issue and 2/3 desktop coverage issue), but it's too much of a pain to work with from this user's perspective.

Oh the auto-hiding issue in gnome I've temporarily resolved by reducing the auto-hide size to 1 pixel, set it to transparent, and enabled the hiding buttons. I've I"m gonna play a game I can just use the buttons which allow me to again utilize the full desktop resolution to display windows.

(~4 year diehard KDE user)

syms
November 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
thanks, any more opinions?

syms
November 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
come on people, make uncle bill happy :), i know you have opinions so share them

tedragan
November 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
i have installed ubuntu 8.10,from xp pro, reason, need to be able back up my blue ray moies, i have tryed for 2 days but cant install any software like,nero-anydvd-321 dvdxcopy-photoshop, or any of your software to souport back up dvds,, can i pay some to
set this up for me,,, thank you,,,mb asus rampage extreme-4 gb ocz ddr3 1800 meg-nvida 8800gt- intl cpu @ 4500 fsb- lg blue ray gww20lk bunner

manishsk
November 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I think kubuntu 8.10 is better than Kubuntu 8.04. Though I agree with users here who are having problems with various program getting crashed etc. But I think even 8.04 had such issues but in very less quantity.

8.10 on the other hand gives huge felxibitly to the user with nice looking graphics and useful for easier work.

what say?

Thanks,
Manish

mitchroberts
November 28th, 2008, 08:24 AM
myself i like ubuntu and gnome desktop the only kde i have used was with
knoppix std but i thank the gnome desktop gives it a cleaner look but
that's me and if you like kde then you need to use it.

automaton26
November 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I'm an ex-Windows user/developer, just recently, from 11/08. I had some Unix knowledge from a decade or so ago, and decided to try dual-booting into Kubuntu 8.10, based on what I'd read about the distros beforehand.

Many people seem to recommend using GNOME if you're coming over from Mac, or KDE if you're coming over from Windows.

Apart from a few issues, most of which were eventually solved or worked around, I'm very happy with how it's turned out and the performance of the OS, without being slowed down by virus-checkers and drive defragging.

Freedom and security, on my machine.

8-)

syms
December 2nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Great, the only thing i wanna more is please post your pc specifications, this will make a better conclusion, because i think that in brand new pcs kde 4.1 is working faster than gnome, but in older machines gnome is working faster than kde 4.1

kernelhaxor
December 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
KDE 4.2 is coming out end of Jan 09 .. They have fixed a lot of bugs and optimized many things .. and it is much faster than the current KDE 4.1

GuiGuy
December 2nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
I was trawling hoping to find some practical solutions or even admissions to KDE 4.x performance issues, when I came across this thread.

From most of the replies here it would seem KDE4.x (Kubuntu 8.10) is a fine, fine desktop. So I have to conclude that there is something seriously wrong with the hardware in my house (all late model AMD AM2/ 2G/ late model Nvidia gfx cards) and a late model, medium spec ACER notebook (Intel core duo).

I found Kubuntu 8.10 impossible. It loads OK, but progressively slows down during a session. After a couple of hours it is painful. A reboot seems the only way out.

It's a shame, because there was a lot to like about KDE. It was especially useful when weaning folks off windows.

Anyway, I gave up. My wife uses Gnome now and I use LXDE (http://lxde.org). BTW, the home entertainment system runs MythBuntu. My daughter is so frustrated by KDE (she doesn't like GNOME or any of the other desktops), that she's now hassling me to buy here a macbook.

For me there are other non performance related issues as well. Features that I really liked in KDE 3.x have gone, which is a real PITA. And what is that stupid Dolphin thing all about?

All in all, IMO KDE 4.x is to KDE3 what Vista is to WinXP.

They got it wrong!

PS: I am a long time KDE user, so the decision to leave it behind has been a sad one.

Cheers