PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation through Windows XP on Compaq Presario

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hey all. Basically, going to give it a go installing Ubuntu on my laptop.

I've done a succesfull install on my home built desktop (which was running Windows Vista - it now dual boots)

I booted Ubuntu from the cd, and tested everything out on the laptop. Sound seems to work, ethernet seems to work, I even managed to get my intel 3945 wireless working, by using (NDSWrapper??) Can tell I'm a n00b :)

Anyways, I noticed when I put the Ubuntu CD in the laptop, there is an option to install through Windows - is this the best way to go about things?

Installation on my other computer was a doddle, I used the Vista Partition Manager to allocate me some free space (which I then used to install Ubuntu) I can't do this on my laptop because Windows XP doesn't offer a simular tool or programme for partitioning space.

Anyways, hope someone can help..

Dan

mdmarmer
October 31st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Wubi is a good way to try out Linux, especially if it is your first Linux installation. It has 2 advantages over a traditional install

1) It's much easier and more foolproof
2) On a laptop, if you like to use the buttons you probably have that play a CD or DVD without booting up, these buttons will probably continue to work. A traditional install almost always disables these buttons.

It has one disadvantage -- disk access is somewhat slower -- Ubuntu is running from a file in the Windows partition rather than on its own partition

Mike

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hey Mike. Thanks for the help.
I assume Wubi is the installation through Windows.

I have quick launch buttons for Volume, Mute and Wireless.

Sorry slightly dimwitted question. If I use Wubi, will I have to boot Windows XP, then open Ubuntu, or will it change the MBR so I have the option of either OS at startup?

Cheers, Dan

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 07:36 PM
Sorry forget that, just read this..

http://wubi-installer.org/

Answers my question perfectly :)

Dan

mdmarmer
October 31st, 2008, 07:41 PM
OK Dan, I'm sure you'll enjoy Linux on your laptop -- just read your other post -- 17 GB is plenty for Linux

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks

All the best, Dan