PDA

View Full Version : well done on ubuntu!!!

tiiim
December 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM
hi guys!

I have ubuntu on PPC now for a few weeks and its great! I been swinging from OSes for years never happy with windows and then a year ago i brought a brand new iBook. OS X is great and manages to bring UNIX to the "common user" however i never felt 100% with it, i felt it so restricting and even though its meant to have the power of UNIX some how apple have played with it and hid most of it away from us and you had to open a terminal (which was stashed away) to get to it.

I been playing with linux on and off for few years but never fully went over due to hardware etc. However i went to to YDL and it was great brought back memories. Yet YDL had problems with sound support and things. However I heard of Ubuntu and decided to try it. And oh my.... its wow! Hardware detection was amazing... while i had to hack around on YDL to get my display Ubuntu just worked and it was amazing to hear sound flowing on a linux system on a iBook. I have ditched OS X for good, some may think its extreme but comparing it to linux im hooked on here!

As for GNOME, i used to be a KDE-lover and couldnt click with GNOME. But i had not realise that the new GNOME desktop is superb! IMHO i find it very excellent compared to KDE. Even though KDE is custmoziable within everything... GNOME is userfriendly and original!

So this is my blurb i have never had such a great distro with little problems. Built on the powerhouse of Debian this is a great distro bringing the long forgotten Debian to the mass-market and shows that an OS can work and fly. Well done for winning me over from OS X. I think in a couple years I shall by a PC with Linux on now but in the mean time the PPC hardware is great on Linux!

Well done i never seem a distro that just works so flawlesses... i never had to run through a whole lot of conf files to make it hardware friendly.... ubuntu just worked like it was meant to and will manage to track many new linux people accross while having the Debian core for the power users.

Oh one last note please please please dont stop support for the PPC platform your support does out perform other PPC distros and you find the PPC side just becomes the "extra unsupported bit" for other distros. But your PPC support is very strong and rivals most others (even if they're PPC tailored only).

well done 1000 out of 10!

Tim :)

CowPie
January 28th, 2005, 11:59 PM
hi guys!

I have ubuntu on PPC now for a few weeks and its great! I been swinging from OSes for years never happy with windows and then a year ago i brought a brand new iBook. OS X is great and manages to bring UNIX to the "common user" however i never felt 100% with it, i felt it so restricting and even though its meant to have the power of UNIX some how apple have played with it and hid most of it away from us and you had to open a terminal (which was stashed away) to get to it.

I been playing with linux on and off for few years but never fully went over due to hardware etc. However i went to to YDL and it was great brought back memories. Yet YDL had problems with sound support and things. However I heard of Ubuntu and decided to try it. And oh my.... its wow! Hardware detection was amazing... while i had to hack around on YDL to get my display Ubuntu just worked and it was amazing to hear sound flowing on a linux system on a iBook. I have ditched OS X for good, some may think its extreme but comparing it to linux im hooked on here!

As for GNOME, i used to be a KDE-lover and couldnt click with GNOME. But i had not realise that the new GNOME desktop is superb! IMHO i find it very excellent compared to KDE. Even though KDE is custmoziable within everything... GNOME is userfriendly and original!

So this is my blurb i have never had such a great distro with little problems. Built on the powerhouse of Debian this is a great distro bringing the long forgotten Debian to the mass-market and shows that an OS can work and fly. Well done for winning me over from OS X. I think in a couple years I shall by a PC with Linux on now but in the mean time the PPC hardware is great on Linux!

Well done i never seem a distro that just works so flawlesses... i never had to run through a whole lot of conf files to make it hardware friendly.... ubuntu just worked like it was meant to and will manage to track many new linux people accross while having the Debian core for the power users.

Oh one last note please please please dont stop support for the PPC platform your support does out perform other PPC distros and you find the PPC side just becomes the "extra unsupported bit" for other distros. But your PPC support is very strong and rivals most others (even if they're PPC tailored only).

well done 1000 out of 10!

Tim :)

I too dislike OSX compared to Ubuntu, your feedback is well-appreciated by devs I'm sure!

Adrenal
January 29th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Yeh, actually looking forward to when one of my mates buys a mac mini so i can Ubuntu run on it
...whoa, i am a geek...