PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple Monitors and Desktop Effects

jus71n742
October 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I just installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron x64 on my tower and I can not for the life of me get the desktops going like I have them on my Laptop!...I installed ccsm and tried to go to extra desktop effects and it will not allow it.... unable to switch to normal/extra effects..what could cause this?
Second ...any ideas on getting my second and soon to be 3rd monitor going with Ubuntu?

overdrank
October 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
I just installed Ubuntu Hardy Heron x64 on my tower and I can not for the life of me get the desktops going like I have them on my Laptop!...I installed ccsm and tried to go to extra desktop effects and it will not allow it.... unable to switch to normal/extra effects..what could cause this?
Second ...any ideas on getting my second and soon to be 3rd monitor going with Ubuntu?

Hi and what is the model of the graphics card and have you installed the drivers for it? You may also look at the link in my signature on the FAQ's as compiz-check may help.

jus71n742
October 31st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Nvidia 9800 GTX+
How would I actually get the drivers installed?

overdrank
October 31st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Nvidia 9800 GTX+
How would I actually get the drivers installed?

Hi and I believe with that model, I have seen the best is to manually install the driver from the nvidia site.

jus71n742
November 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Ok new problem...everything is up and running buuut one small major detail. I can not install anything from the command line...second, Updates show up but they won't install I get the following error

E: dpkg was interrupted you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a to correct this problem.
NVM dur I just figured it out..wow having a slow day or two.

I would like to know how to actually get the drivers for Nvidia to install. tried a number of ways but to no avail. some suggestions there would be awesome

jus71n742
November 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
OK drivers and everything are up and running....How could I get the additional monitors recognized and used by the video card like they are in Windows

jus71n742
November 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Got it going...just a restart of the X server