PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 complete I think????

glenngds2007
October 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM
The problem is that the desktop background picture did not change and when I start Firefox it still says 8.04. As far as I can tell no upgrade has happened. How can I be sure? I have just downloaded an iso of Ubuntu 8.10 just in case I need to install from an iso. Really need an answer quick, so I can decide what to do.:confused:

glenngds2007
October 31st, 2008, 06:48 PM
I got a little tired of waiting for an answer to my problem. So I popped the Ubuntu 8.10 CD into my drive and rebooted. All went well for a little while. When I chose to test the CD for errors--I could tell that the kernel loaded--the kernel started scanning for the CD and never found it and so a whole screen full of errors popped up. All the errors were about ata0:1. The only problem is that there is nothing at ata0:1 since I have only one ata dvd-rw in the machines. The problem is that I have three nearly identical computers. All three have a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H MOBO--one has an AMD Athlon X2 4800+; one has an AMD Athlon X2 5000+; and one has an AMD Athlon X2 5800+--all three have Seagate SATA hard-drives and all three have an AOPEN DVD-RW drive. All three had no problem installing Ubuntu 8.04 from a CD. So basically I am stuck with three computers doing the same thing--no way to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10. Any ideas would be helpful at this point.:mad:

glenngds2007
October 31st, 2008, 07:32 PM
If CD draw is empty it ejects no problem. If there is any kind of CD in the draw--it does eject but immediately pulls it back in on all three of my computers. In fact I had the Ubuntu 8.10 CD in one computer and went to eject the CD and I did not grab it securely and it fell on the drive half way out and now the CD has a major scratch on it. I am very angry at this turn of events, what am I supposed take a chance of messing up any CD I need to put into a drive on any of my computers. It has just started to do this since the failed upgrade.

cubeist
October 31st, 2008, 07:42 PM
I have the same MOBO with different proc and disk drive and installed last night without a hitch.

If I am understanding you, you cannot boot the live cd to a desktop without errors?

First, did you md5sum the download?
Second, did you burn at the slowest speed possible?

Third, are you selecting to just install, or the "try ubuntu" option?

roger_1960
October 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi

The CD drawer problem is a known bug published in the 8.10 installation notes. It sounds like you are runing 8.10

If you type

uname -a

in terminal it will return the kernel version (and cpu) so you should be able to tell for sure.

maybeway36
October 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM
The problem is that the desktop background picture did not change and when I start Firefox it still says 8.04. As far as I can tell no upgrade has happened. How can I be sure? I have just downloaded an iso of Ubuntu 8.10 just in case I need to install from an iso. Really need an answer quick, so I can decide what to do.:confused:

Try

cat /etc/issue
It should say Ubuntu 8.10. If it does, just change your desktop background, then change your home page to http://start.ubuntu.com/8.10/.

glenngds2007
October 31st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks guys for all the help. As far as the cat command it says 8.10. As far as changing the homepage of Firefox I have yet to find the real home page of Ubuntu 8.10 and it is not http://start.ubuntu.com/8.10/. As far as the CD not being recognized is a little of a shock when I tried to boot the Ubuntu 8.10 CD. It is a well known fact that with the Fedora since 7.0 it has had a problem recognizing certain hard drive CD combinations usually SATA HD with an IDE DVD-RW and there solution was to tell people to try a different CD/DVD drive in there computer. My solution was to borrow a friends external DVD drive and then Fedora 7 installed no problem. What happened was I returned my friends external DVD drive before I realized that even after it was installed Fedora 7 still did not recognize that AOpen DVD-RW drive. So nix Fedora and I came over to Ubuntu around I believe 7.04. Did someone borrow some code for the kernel from Fedora?:lolflag: Yes the AOpen DVD-RW drives are about 2 years old--all three of them and all three are the same model number.