PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can anyone tell me what to do now after "failed" upgrade?

mactece
October 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM
I upgraded to 8.10 using the update manager. I got several error messages as it went through and these all were reported by the system at the end. I finally got a message saying the upgrade had failed, that the computer might be unstable and it would run a restore process. But then it just jumped out like it had finished properly!

I tried running update manager and it seems to believe I now have Intrepid installed. Everything seems to be working but I am reluctant to reboot incase I can't get it restarted.

Are there any checks I can do? I can let you know the error messages if you think that will help.

Many thanks

David

mactece
October 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
well, could anyone tell me how to check the version number, just for starters?....

Martje_001
October 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM
See your system-monitor. After a failed upgrade the safest option is to reïnstall Ubuntu again. But, on the other side, if everything is working fine, there's no need to reïnstall.

roger_1960
October 31st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi

You can also get your version (and processor) by typing:

uname -a

in terminal

mactece
October 31st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Well, it all looked fine so I restarted (you've got to do it sometime!) and couldn't get past the login screen to start with. It simply won't run xclient script. However Gnome is running fine as a session option and to help things along I have disabled all the desktop effects. And I guess no-one would know it isn't working properly.

However, it is definitely not on song. I suspect the nvidia driver is partly to blame (in theory it shouldn't affect my 6200 card but it is) and the install didn't go well. I'm going to start some new threads to deal with the specifics.