PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ALSA Sound Problems

jso2897
October 31st, 2008, 03:44 PM
I just upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid on my HP Pavillion a1520n. It has an AMD CPU and the nVidia chipset. At first, I had no sound, and attempts to make it work failed. Then i just went into the sound settings and changed everything to the OSS sound shceme. Now, video& audio files play with sound, but Flash still doesn't. Has anybody who has one of the H/P proprietary sound chips found the real solution to this?:confused:

MikaelHolber
November 2nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Same here, I have a HP Pavillion 2115ea. Intel chip with core duo. Only OSS works for both my built in card and my usb-sound card.

Drew_[SCED]
November 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Same here, Toshiba Satellite M115.

Perhaps Flash 10 is the default in Ibex?

tuxxy
November 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Try the sound troubleshooting guide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

Drew_[SCED]
November 3rd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Try the sound troubleshooting guide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

That's not helpful, because we're getting sound fine, just not in Flash applications.

jso2897
November 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah. Alsa is broken in some way - the system sees my soundcard fine - in fact, I have sound (at least in the movie player). I just changed the sound scheme from alsa to OSS in Sound Preferences. But ALSA hangs on the shutdown for two minutes, and flash sound doesn't work, and I want ALSA to work properly. I've tried a couple of edits to alsa-utils, but no love.
A lot of people are having this problem. What the heck did they do, and what's the fix for it?:confused:

forest.r
November 5th, 2008, 01:24 AM
I am having the same problem. Whenever I try and use flash objects in FireFox, it freezes, usually along with the whole computer. My computer hangs on ASLA durring shutdown as well.

jso2897
November 5th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Well, I've made some progress - I set all the sound channels to the OSS sound preference, and now I get sound in everything, including Wine Games. But the quality is crappy. Lots of noise, no real presence with music. I wish I could get ALSA working.:(

Drew_[SCED]
November 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Seems to me that this is enough of a bug to have some sort of attention...

I guess I'll change to OSS and check to see if there's a bugfix later on.

UPDATE: That didn't work... I can't get sound in flash no matter what I do.

Drew_[SCED]
November 6th, 2008, 01:55 AM
;6109719']Seems to me that this is enough of a bug to have some sort of attention...

I guess I'll change to OSS and check to see if there's a bugfix later on.

UPDATE: That didn't work... I can't get sound in flash no matter what I do.

Update! I installed the .deb of Adobe's latest Flash version and now sound works fine in Flash.

I guess the built-in Ibex Flash is broken or out of date or something.

woolyninja
November 6th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Try installing libflashsupport:

sudo apt-get install libflashsupport

forest.r
November 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Remember, although this may fix the flash problem, this thread is about the ALSA problem, please dont label as fixed if this temporarily solves the problem.