PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intrepid upgrade - Weird Bug

georgefrankly
October 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM
This morning I upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid, after letting the packages download overnight.

Everything seemed to go smoothly throughout, and my laptop rebooted just fine after the install. Everything looks good except for 2 things:

1) When I try to open the file browser from the "Places" menu, instead of opening the browser, it opens the folder in Amarok. Sounds strange, but I swear that's what's happening. For instance I hit "Places-->Home", and Amarok starts up, and the files in my home folder attempt to play in Amarok. Maybe the file browser is misconfigured?? How can I fix this?

2) This one is less critical, but it seems all pop-up bubble messages and mouse-over text on the desktop comes up as a black box. For instance the "connected to wireless network" bubble that usually pops up is there, but is nothing but a black field.

What is the deal here? Otherwise, it seems everything is functioning just fine.

Thanks for your help!

oldmanpete
October 31st, 2008, 05:03 PM
1) When I try to open the file browser from the "Places" menu, instead of opening the browser, it opens the folder in Amarok. Sounds strange, but I swear that's what's happening. For instance I hit "Places-->Home", and Amarok starts up, and the files in my home folder attempt to play in Amarok. Maybe the file browser is misconfigured?? How can I fix this?

This is happening for me too except that it's opening in firefox and displaying my files in an FTP format as webpages. Very odd. Idea's on a postcard please!

ljoslin
October 31st, 2008, 05:24 PM

This is happening for me too except that it's opening in firefox and displaying my files in an FTP format as webpages. Very odd. Idea's on a postcard please!

same for me, except it's totem for me!

-=Larry=-

ezekiel000
October 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Mine just asks me for root password for the Home and Bookmark entries in the places menu, is there a fix yet? It's not too much of a problem as I can get to my home dir by opening nautilus from the Computer entry on the places menu.

ljoslin
October 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
problem solved

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/260492

the only thing is I had to follow the directions 6 or so posts down...open nautilus however, I did it from a terminal, then goto the "home" folder and change the properties to open with file browser, that fixed it for me!

-=Larry=-

ezekiel000
October 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ah ok fixed, all you have to do is set the default program to open folders to nautilus instead of gksu.

Just right click on a folder and select properties, go to the Open With tab and click on the radio button next to Open Folder rather than gksu.

OwnName
October 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Thx to ljoslin & ezekiel000.
Like georgefrankly I upgraded overnight, and I got the same stupid home -> amarok behaviour, and was going crazy with Amarok scanning my all harddisks on and on and on endlessly.
Another nice behaviour so far, is Opera lost completely the sound (on Youtube's, for example), while Firefox still have it.
Any idea, tip or tricks?
Thx in advance ^___^

enque
November 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
I would just like to mention that this exact weird bug happened with me too, when I upgraded to Intrepid an hour ago.
Right click folder and selecting the correct "open with" setting corrects the bug, but it's still annoying (and strange!) that this thing made it through to the final release.
Whatever caused it, I have no clue.

jlpino
November 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
The ljoslin's link doesn't work. This is the correct link:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/260492

kaivalagi
November 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM
In summary, the best fix is to edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list removing the offending ?.desktop entries against the inode/directory entry.

e.g. from:

inode/directory=userapp-baobab-OO53FU.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;nautilus.desktop;userapp-nautilus-XXZ2JU.desktop;

to:

inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;

There is no need to go through all the places bookmarked changing the "open with" options

jlpino
November 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
kaivalagi, I only do it with a folder (my home) and all places works fine.
Anyway, thanks for your solution.

georgefrankly
November 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your help so far,
but I tried the 'Open with app' --> nautilus, and it is still not working. If I run nautilus from ALT-F2, I can click on folders and they work fine, but everything in the Places menu still tries to open in Amarok.

according to that link, the problem is with nautilus itself. can I try to update nautilus to fix the problem?

Also, does anyone have any insight on the mystery of the missing hover-text? I still just get black boxes on the desktop.

oldmanpete
November 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks everyone for your help so far,
but I tried the 'Open with app' --> nautilus, and it is still not working. If I run nautilus from ALT-F2, I can click on folders and they work fine, but everything in the Places menu still tries to open in Amarok.

according to that link, the problem is with nautilus itself. can I try to update nautilus to fix the problem?

run nautilus through alt f2. Browse to your home icon, right click > properties > open with > select open with folder. It should then open normally.

georgefrankly
November 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
yay thanks! I are moron.

georgefrankly
November 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Does anyone have any insight on my mouse-over text problem?

It still hasn't been resolved and it's sort of inconsistent.
No mouseover text on the desktop works, but it works in many applications like firefox.

What is the deal?