PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ibex installation boots to command prompt

sonu 1807
October 31st, 2008, 12:30 PM
I am using HP dv6000 with nvidia GE force 7500M card. When i try to install ibex from a CD it starts normally ( like hardy) asking for options. But after that it freezes.It starts running when I hold down a key. It then boots to command prompt. How I can start graphical installation from here ? What command I am supposed to give ? Thanks in advance.

Pumalite
October 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Better try the Alternate CD

sonu 1807
October 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Sorry but i am a noob... would i face the same probllem with tat too... should i go for upgrade...

Pumalite
October 31st, 2008, 12:57 PM
You have to prepare your self for an upgrade:
1.-Have your OS fully updated
2.-Remove all third parties from /etc/apt/sources.list (including the Medibuntu folder if you have one.)
3. Backup your XP and all your data, so if you have a problem; it will be a p'iece of cake to start again.
4.-I'd TruImage XP and pack it in an external drive.
And lastly; you might have the same problems if there is an incompatibility.
I personally prefer a clean install.

reuben
October 31st, 2008, 01:21 PM
d

sonu 1807
October 31st, 2008, 02:32 PM
I didn't face the same problem in upgrade. It is working fine. But still while booting I have to hold a key otherwise the boot process does not proceed. Not a problem though.... holding a key is no big deal. But there was no such problem with hardy. May be it would be solved in future. I think it has got something to do with the nvidia card.

sonu 1807
October 31st, 2008, 02:37 PM
By the way... I don't use windows XP. i have triple boot (ubuntu, fedora, dreamlinux). I have vista CD but that is lying idle... no way I am going back to that.... I lost a week's work becasue of a virus attack