PDA

View Full Version : Made the switch!

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hey all. Recently started using Ubuntu and I'm glad I did. I built a computer and was using Vista Home Premium. Decided I'd give Ubuntu a try, so followed a fantastic guide on apcmag.com

All my drivers just worked, including sound, ethernet and GFX.

Still in early days yet, I've always been a Windows user, so I'm still getting used to using Ubuntu.

I did try it on my laptop from the Live CD - just to see if my wireless was working (Intel 3945) I installed some software from the add/remove programmes and used the .ini from my Windows drivers, and it worked. So will shortly be using it on my laptop too.

Been looking around the forums, and you guys seem to have a great community going here!

Thanks for reading, but now, I'm turning off Vista and going back into Ubuntu :)

Take care, Dan

Idefix82
October 31st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Congrats and welcome! You have got some great time ahead of you! For me, the pace at which I'm discovering new goodies hasn't slowed down yet.

sillyxone
October 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
The next step would be learning to value your freedom.

Make freedom the reason that made you switch. The biggest advantage of GNU/Linux is not its stability or features, but freedom. And people who don't value their freedom tend to lose it.

A good starting point is the book "Free software, free societies" by Richard Stallman (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/fsfs/rms-essays.pdf). As always, judge and think about what you read, don't believe blindly. RMS is right in his idea, but he's still a man and still makes mistake (but he learned over time too).

Welcome to the free world!

FYI: I was a Microsoft user until I learned about software freedom two years ago (DOS 6.0, Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 2K, XP). At the time, Edgy wasn't very good but the value of freedom kept me from turning back.

mkarnicki
October 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
For me, the pace at which I'm discovering new goodies hasn't slowed down yet.

Same here! And I've been using ubuntu for 2-3 years already. Good you're yere, there's no better place for ubuntu support than these forums! Good luck!

bobbocanfly
October 31st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hey all. Recently started using Ubuntu and I'm glad I did. I built a computer and was using Vista Home Premium. Decided I'd give Ubuntu a try, so followed a fantastic guide on apcmag.com

Congrats and welcome to the community!

billgoldberg
October 31st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Welcome.

If you have any questions don't be shy and ask them in the forums or on irc (irc.freenode.net #ubuntu).

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Cheers for the welcomes and kind words everyone.

Going to be installing Ubuntu on my Compaq Presario over the weekend.
Slightly short for HDD space. 80GB, divided into two partitions at the moment.
Partition D - 8GB's (Restore partition)
Partition C - Windows, with only 17.55 GB's free space.

Will post in different section, a couple of questions I have.

Cheers, Dan

Valok
October 31st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the world of Ubuntu and Linux!! Hope you continue to enjoy your stay!

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Best wishes, Dan

Sealbhach
October 31st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Welcome.

I made the switch a few months ago and it has completely changed the way I think about my computer. For the first time, it feels like it's mine and I can do anything I want with it.

Before, using MS software, I always felt like I was only being given permission to use my computer - that I only had a license to use it dependent upon the powers that be in Redmond. Now, I feel independent, that my system is fully mine and with all the free software available I feel free to make my system into anything I want it to be. It's also great not to have to worry all the time about viruses and spyware.

You've made a good move and I hope you enjoy your journey with GNU/Linux as much as I have.:)

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)

I agree with what you say about Microsoft Software.
I must admit, I'm amazed at the amount of software avaliable for Ubuntu.
It's also so simple to install and use, and being open source doesn't cost you a penny either.

Cheers, Dan

DanM718
October 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)

I agree with what you say about Microsoft Software.
I must admit, I'm amazed at the amount of software avaliable for Ubuntu.
It's also so simple to install and use, and being open source doesn't cost you a penny either.

Cheers, Dan

Sorry, posted twice..Internet is on a go slow tonight