PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] How to install radeonhd driver

luziva
October 31st, 2008, 06:41 AM
I am not able to install Kubuntu 8.10. See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964076) or here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/274234)

The radeonhd driver seems not to be on the install CD, but it is in the repositoy (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd) for Intrepid.

How do I get the driver installed. I'm not able to download it directly to my laptop. For a Internet Connection I need to set up my wlan and the login over a web page.

Is there some way to put the driver on a pen-drive and install it from there?

Peter09
October 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
On the page you have given there is a link to the .deb package. If you download this you can install it (just click on it and the dialogue should come up). You may find that you need other packages as dependencies as well.

luziva
October 31st, 2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks....but

_IF_ i had a working driver I would be able to get to a desktop.

But as described in the posts the xserver does not start, due to not available or not working drivers!

Peter09
October 31st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Can you download the driver to another machine and transfer it? Then you can use dpkg to install it.

Also will your graphics card work with the default (2d) driver such as MESA?

Peter09
October 31st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Just realized that you should be able to install using apt-get on the command line as long as you have an internet link.

apt-get install radeonhd

I am assuming radeonhd is the name of the package that you want.

On first reading your post I assumed that you did not have an internet connection, if you can get a wired connection you can do this.

luziva
October 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Can you download the driver to another machine and transfer it? Then you can use dpkg to install it.

How do i do this? And am i not messing with my system by not using apt-get?

Also will your graphics card work with the default (2d) driver such as MESA?
I think you mean vesa, but no, the card does not work in veasa or safe-graphics mode.

Peter09
October 31st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Yep - should have been vesa. apt-get is the command line front end to synaptic. If you cannot get a GUI then its the best way to install stuff. You are not messing with your system in doing this.

If you look through the forums you will see that apt-get is normally used as it is easier to describe that going through the GUI in synaptic.

If you have an internet connection use the apt-get method.

luziva
October 31st, 2008, 09:49 AM
I think you do not get my point. I have

no internet connection
no desktop

and I want to install a single .deb from a e.g. pen-drive.

Is this possible and how?

Peter09
October 31st, 2008, 09:49 AM
I would also do at the command line

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
this will ensure that all necessary packages are updated and downloaded. Do this before you download the driver if possible.

luziva
October 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM
????:???:
Please read my previous post again

Partyboi2
October 31st, 2008, 09:57 AM
Are you able to get to a terminal (ctrl+Alt+F2) If you can then change directory to where your pen-drive is.

cd /media/disk then use the list command to check the contents

lsthen if you are in the correct directory and can see the download deb file install it by typing

sudo dpkg -i packagename change packagename to the whole file name of the deb package.

luziva
October 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Ok, thnks to partyboi2 I got my system running. The complete setup:

download the .deb and put it to pen-drive
find out the dev name by using dmseg
create a directory fo the pen drive e.g. mkdir /media/disk
mount the pen-drive with mount -f vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/disk
install the package with sudo dpkg -i /media/disk/"packgename"

s1moe2
November 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
hi all

i'm having the same problem and I couldn't fix it for now.
My laptop is a toshiba a200-1c3 which has an ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400.. When installing Intrepid the prompt "ubuntu@ubuntu$:" appears and no desktop in sight. I tried to install the deb file from pen drive but it didnt work :S

in this case I do have an internet connection but I tried apt-get install radeonhd and it didnt work out either.. please help =)

tks a lot

Peter09
November 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
s1moe - you should really start a new thread as this one is marked solved.

What Ubuntu are you installing - have you installed the Desktop or the Server version?

blackSP
November 4th, 2008, 11:57 PM
This is a major problem, basically a big f-up!
I had to rebuild x-server after which the whole system died on me. Reinstalling from the freshly downloaded 8.10 iso didn't resolve it. I thought it was a corrupt disk/device problem so I installed Vista after which I tried 8.10 again. I then found out that my Radeon HD2400 drivers were missing in the iso so I'm now installing 8.04 and will then do another upgrade to 8.10. As for some reason I could not access my hard drive I lost all docs and pics and stuff since my last backup (-1month). Damn, I'm angry!

edit: I don't think this is solved, not until Radeon cards are recognized during a fresh install.