PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GNOME won't load after update

brotherajnin
October 31st, 2008, 04:45 AM
Today I updated from 8.04 and after I provide my login and password, the (brown) screen stays blank (i.e. the panels, desktop, etc. never load). I can move around my mouse, but that's it.

I can login fine using KDE... any idea on how I go about isolating the Gnome problem?

Thanks a lot.

martrn
October 31st, 2008, 05:36 AM
You can load KDE perfectly ?

Try logging in to a terminal (or booting up in rescue mode) and type:

sudo apt-get remove compiz
sudo apt-get remove compiz-core

See if there is anything starting up that will cause a problem

sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf
sudo sysv-rc-conf
and remove any unecessary services.

If you think you might have some problems with X11 try:

dpkg-reconfigure x-server x-org

Check you /etc/rc2.d directory for run-level scripts. I don't know but try deleteing gnome directory in your /home/yourname folder.

brotherajnin
October 31st, 2008, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried uninstalling compiz, to no avail. As far as the last two options, I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Thanks for your patience.

martrn
October 31st, 2008, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried uninstalling compiz, to no avail. As far as the last two options, I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Thanks for your patience.

If you look here it will give you more info regarding the things loaded using the runlevel sysv scripts : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491

See if there is anything starting up that will cause a problem

sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf
sudo sysv-rc-conf

Try to switch off things bluetoothy/power-on-off-sleep/HALinitialisation (failure)problems/etc. If you can load KDE something here might cause a problem.

Check you have deleted all your .gnome directories from your /home/yourname folder.

If you wish to reinstall gnome try :-

sudo apt-get remove --purge gnome
sudo apt-get install gnome