PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 upgrade on AMD64 hangs on starting powernowd

Chupacabramon
October 31st, 2008, 04:23 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 on a Dell Studio 1536 laptop (AMD Turion 64bit processor) using the upgrade manager. It seems to have installed most of the upgrades, but with progress bar showing 3 minutes remaining, it's hanging. The last command shown in the terminal is

* Starting powernowd...

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? The install has been hanging for more than an hour now. Nothing else has crashed though - I can still use the mouse, the menus and keyboard etc. Should I just kill the process and reboot?

Thanks!

Chupacabramon
October 31st, 2008, 05:13 AM
Well, I guess I should have been a bit more patient. I rebooted and now I have '[ 0.716179] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(0,0)'

I've got everything backed up, but I'm guessing I'll need a clean install?

Why do always do this on days when I have deadlines - I really shouldn't tempt fate :(

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

hagar_am
October 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
It looks like bug related to AMD CPUs. Go to https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=powernowd&search=Search+Bug+Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=
and add yourself to corresponding bugs reports.

UnYx
January 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I met the same problem when installing Ubuntu 8.10 on an HP TX2670; I "solved" it by activating the acpi=off option (by pressing F6 @ install first screen).