PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Resolution Settings

jla
October 31st, 2008, 03:00 AM
If I change the resolution settings with Monitor and Display System Settings.After I reboot they revert to their former settings.I'm using Kubuntu alternate cd 8.04.HP computer with Nvidia GeForce 6150 Se nforce 430 graphics built into motherboard.
How do I prevent them from reverting back after each reboot.I'm using vesa driver.

martrn
October 31st, 2008, 04:05 AM
Firstly make sure you have a valid /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Your /etc/X11/ xorg.conf should contain the correct setting to know valid X11 format for XORG. One setup by failsafeX doesn't always work. You can type

sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to edit or make changes to your xorg.conf file. Make sure there are no scrabled parts and its not empty.

Secondly make sure you use the Nvidia drivers or nv drivers not the vessa ones. Use
http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html to install the nvidia binary drivers or just use the nv ones.

I presume you you have a invalid /etc/X11/xorg.conf file or one created by failsafeX. It will not work until you have a valid one.

If you are using GDM as your display manager you could

sudo apt-get install KDM
sudo apt-get remove --purge GDM
to install the KDE desktop manager. This will not give you a valid /etc/X11/xorg.conf and on a reboot will not reset your display with low resoulution screen but instead will chuck you at the command line prompt.

You really need a valid /etc/X11/xorg.conf so just copy one from someone who has the same monitor / graphics card you have.

jla
October 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
See reply below.

jla
October 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Finally figured out how to fix this. Go to system setting>Monitor & Display>Administrator mode. Click the button to configure the video card and change it from plug n play to my actual card.(GeForce 6150 series). Then do the same for the monitor. Change it from generic to your actual one. (Delta 770 DC series). Then apply the changes, with the button and it regenerates a new xorg.conf with all the right new correct settings.