PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] stuck between hardy and intrepid

veganbikepunk
October 31st, 2008, 02:38 AM
so, i tried upgrading to Intrepid from Hardy through update-manager. The first part was fast, but the 'clean up' part was taking forever, so I thought it had frozen, so I rebooted. Now it says I'm in Hardy in 'about ubuntu'. I can't go to 'software sources'. Update-manager has 616 distribution updates but it won't update them. It says 'not all updates can be installed.' Then it has the option to do a partial upgrade, but when I choose that, it says it can't upgrade from Intrepid to Hardy. How do I get to a full intrepid?

wbrucem
October 31st, 2008, 04:17 AM
I'm in the same situation.

I've managed to work past some issues with Nvidia display, but cannot get 3D acceleration working (which I really, really need). Xserver is one of the many packages which are listed as having updates available but are "held back".

Is there a way to reapply the upgrade, or something?

wbrucem
October 31st, 2008, 06:50 AM
OK, I may be solving this one...

Not sure whether this was necessary, but I did

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then followed the steps posted in another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964091).

The packages are still downloading, but it appears to be doing the missed updates. I'll report back when I have results.

Venie
October 31st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hello, I have similar problem. During the configuration phase of the upgrade there was a power shortage. I can access CLI and I tried to continue configuration:

OK, I may be solving this one...

sudo dpkg --configure -a

but it stops for dependency problems. I've traced it down to dbus not being properly installed. "dpkg --configure dbus" gives"/var/run/dbus doesn't exists" (or similar)

What can I do? Is there a way to repair all or reinstall without losing my files?

wbrucem
October 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM
I was eventually able to get everything straightened out by using Synaptic instead of Update-Manager. Use the "Broken" filter to identify and correct dependency problems, then "Mark All Upgrades" and apply the changes.

I hope this works for you as well.

Venie
October 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
I managed to launch Synaptic over SSH on other computer, but it complained about same errors on dbus-package. So I forced uninstall of dbus and installed it again "dpkg --remove --force-all dbus && apt-get install dbus", and the upgrade resumed although in CLI. I'm still having some problems with kernel not having all drivers, but I think it might have nothing to do with the interrupted upgrade. I'll just try building new kernel and see if it helps.
Thanks for help :)

ssam
October 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
at boot choose the recovery option from grub. this has an option to fix partial upgrades. it might do the job.

jhertz
October 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I think I'm in the same boat. My toddler powered off my computer while it was applying the dist-upgrade. Now when I boot I end u;p with a bunch of errors to the effect that /var/run and several other var folders are read only. I didn't partition the drive with separate partitions so I'm assuming it's part of the upgrade process. I was able to Ctrl + alt + f2 and get a login prompt, however when I try to run

sudo dpkg --configure -a
I can't connect to the network (working wirelessly, I assume that the module isn't getting loaded).
I'll try the recovery mode as well. Thanks for the thread!

Venie
November 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM
I can't connect to the network (working wirelessly, I assume that the module isn't getting loaded).

Try booting with the previous kernel (press esc for grub prompt when booting). It should have required module. Check http://www.stoltenow.com/archives/2006/12/ubuntu_configur.html to configure your wireless from console.