PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disappointed with Ubuntu 8.10

BlackIrish
October 31st, 2008, 12:50 AM
Just wanted to say that, I just tried installing the new ubuntu, and for the first time ever (I'm using ubuntu since version 7.04) it can't even install itself properly!

It just changes my monitor resolution to something strange, so I only get a "Video Mode Not Supported" screen, and that's all from the 8.10.

Now, I did try viewing it in Safe Mode, and it does work, so I think I know what the error is. It probably has something to do with the resolution settings saying I have a 0Hz refresh rate monitor, so it's some kind of a graphic card driver problem right?

I have a Radeon 4850, which is a relatively new card, but common, it's been a couple of months since it's release and ubuntu should have supported it...

So if anyone has any idea how can I even install ubuntu, it would be cool... otherwise the overall impression till now is pretty bad :(

Zohso
October 31st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Yes, I too have experienced this and thought it weird; however, by "activating" the appropriate drivers did it display correctly.

go to...
system -> administration -> Hardware Drivers
Select the one that's Recomended.

trekrem
October 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM
Did you use the Live CD? If so try the Alternate CD, I always use the alternate and have never had any issue installing with it (when I did have issues installing with the Live CD).

trekrem
October 31st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Yes, I too have experienced this and thought it weird; however, by "activating" the appropriate drivers did it display correctly.

go to...
system -> administration -> Hardware Drivers
Select the one that's Recomended.

The OP hasn't gotten past the installation yet.

alwez_loner
October 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM
So would you advice me not to Upgrade now? As i don't have Internet support at home i have to carry my PC all the way to Town.

I'm running Hardy heron with no problems....

trekrem
October 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
So would you advice me not to Upgrade now? As i don't have Internet support at home i have to carry my PC all the way to Town.

I'm running Hardy heron with no problems....

Please don't hijack his/her thread, start a new one for yourself, you will get a much better response. (Also make sure you put a few more details).

Another Monkey
October 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have noticed some weird video issues too (just gone from 8.04 to 8.10 on a Dell desktop and Vorbis lappy).

Both: Windows initially display corrupted, worst with pictures. This resolves itself pretty quickly when the screen refreshes, but looks odd and initially made me think the system was about to crash.

Dell: Video output failed, requiring a hard reset (reboot - is Linux the new Windows?) when I was trying to test screen resolutions. My monitor displayed a "This resolution cannot be displayed properly" warning, and when I tried to re-set the resolution it was as if the card became displayed (monitor reported no video).

So there do seem to be some issues with 8.10 and video display, only sorry I cannot be of more help. I am sure there used to be a list somewhere of supported cards (and any configuration that may be required), but I cannot seem to find it just now.

alwez_loner
October 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM
Please don't hijack his/her thread, start a new one for yourself, you will get a much better response. (Also make sure you put a few more details).

Thank you very much for your advice...