PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] NIS server in Intrepid

bean72
October 31st, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking to get my server started from scratch using the new Intrepid desktop release. This time I was interested in getting all my desktops setup using NIS with shared home folders.

I'm following this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNISHowTo

When I install the NIS package, when it attempts to start, it fails to bind with YP Server. I assume that this is normal because yp.conf is not configure properly yet.
But when I get to the point where you have to build the db for the first time, this is what I get:

root@jeff-server:~# /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -m

At this point, we have to construct a list of the hosts which will run NIS
servers. jeff-server is in the list of NIS server hosts. Please continue to add
the names for the other hosts, one per line. When you are done with the
list, type a <control D>.
next host to add: jeff-server
next host to add:
The current list of NIS servers looks like this:

jeff-server

Is this correct? [y/n: y] y
We need a few minutes to build the databases...
Building /var/yp/jeff-server/ypservers...
Running /var/yp/Makefile...
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/jeff-server'
Updating passwd.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating passwd.byuid...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating group.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating group.bygid...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating hosts.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating hosts.byaddr...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating rpc.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating rpc.bynumber...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating services.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating services.byservicename...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating netid.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating protocols.bynumber...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating protocols.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating netgroup...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating netgroup.byhost...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating netgroup.byuser...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredUpdating shadow.byname...
failed to send 'clear' to local ypserv: RPC: Program not registeredmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/jeff-server'

jeff-server has been set up as a NIS master server.

And after doing that, when I try to start nis again, it still fails to bind. I tried searching everywhere for a solution, but all solutions I find are out of date, and they don't work.
Also, is there anything wrong with setting the domain name to my servers hostname?
I have attempted to follow the guide several times but I am still getting nothing.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

bean72
October 31st, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi again...
I seem to have gotten further into the installation, turns out my portmapper was not configured correctly. I emptied my hosts.allow file and now I am able to partially build the database. The only problem now is when I build the db I get this error:

Running /var/yp/Makefile...
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/yp/jeff-server'
Updating passwd.byname...
Updating passwd.byuid...
Updating group.byname...
Updating group.bygid...
Updating hosts.byname...
Updating hosts.byaddr...
Updating rpc.byname...
Updating rpc.bynumber...
Updating services.byname...
Updating services.byservicename...
Updating netid.byname...
Updating protocols.bynumber...
Updating protocols.byname...
Updating netgroup...
Updating netgroup.byhost...
Updating netgroup.byuser...
Updating shadow.byname...
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/etc/passwd.adjunct', needed by `passwd.adjunct.byname'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/yp/jeff-server'
make: *** [target] Error 2
Error running Makefile.
Please try it by hand.

At least I am getting further in this issue :D

If I get any further I'll post the results, but as of right now, I'm stumped.

bean72
October 31st, 2008, 02:27 PM
bump, also I don't know if I posted in the right category. If necessary please move my post, thanks.