PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 8.10: "Upgrade failed" maybe... How to check

Mr_JMM
October 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hi,

Sorry, this is going to be an incredibly vague thread but I hope someone can make sense of it.

I have just upgraded (??) from Hardy to Intrepid. I did this using the update manager (as per this thread (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)). Right at the end I got an error message saying that the upgrade could not be completed. Sorry but I didn't get a chance to note the exact message but I'm sure it said that the upgrade will not happen. However, when I check using lsb_release -a I get:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.10
Release: 8.10
Codename: intrepid

I appreciate that that should be that but after the error message is there any way to double check everything or better still, some way of running a "repair" install from a CD?

Additionally, I also got a window asking for Nullmailer which I have no idea about. I just hit forward. I also got an error message about the ufw failing to install.

Many thanks as always

James

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Open a terminal and try

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM
deleted

Mr_JMM
October 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hi,

Ok, here is the results:

xxxxx@yyyy-ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for xxxxx:
xxxxx@yyyy-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
xxxxx@yyyy-ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
xxxxx@yyyy-ubuntu:~$

Does this confirm all is ok? Is this the only check? What about the "repair" option?

Many thanks again

kostkon
October 30th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hi,

Sorry, this is going to be an incredibly vague thread but I hope someone can make sense of it.

I have just upgraded (??) from Hardy to Intrepid. I did this using the update manager (as per this thread (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)). Right at the end I got an error message saying that the upgrade could not be completed. Sorry but I didn't get a chance to note the exact message but I'm sure it said that the upgrade will not happen. However, when I check using lsb_release -a I get:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 8.10
Release: 8.10
Codename: intrepid

I appreciate that that should be that but after the error message is there any way to double check everything or better still, some way of running a "repair" install from a CD?

Additionally, I also got a window asking for Nullmailer which I have no idea about. I just hit forward. I also got an error message about the ufw failing to install.

Many thanks as always

James
Everything looks OK.

Don't worry about the

it is not an error message that should worry you. We all get it when we give the above command.

Now about ufw, give in a terminal

apt-cache policy ufw
and see if it says that is installed and it is the latest version. But since sudo dpkg --configure -a does not give you any errors then you should be fine.

No clue about NullMailer... :(

Mr_JMM
October 31st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Hi,

Results of apt-cache policy ufw:

ufw:
Installed: 0.23.2
Candidate: 0.23.2
Version table:
*** 0.23.2 0
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Many thanks

Mr_JMM
October 31st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Could someone just confirm if it is possible or not to do a "repair" installation (as you can with *******)?

Cheers