PDA

View Full Version : what i am looking for

super
November 29th, 2005, 02:27 AM
is a very small and light distro that i can put on an ancient computer.

the computer is a 300mhz pentium that i probably should have left on the curb with the shag carpeting and brown wallpaper. but for some reason, i tend to hold on to old computers. :razz:

so any ideas what i can put on it? i would prefer a debian based distro if possible.

muchos gracias!

tabinin
November 29th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Try Damn Small Linux - http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Its nice.

az
November 29th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Ubuntu or debian.

Just install ubuntu with the server option and then install icewm, menu and gdm.

sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core gdm icewm menu

When you first boot into gdm, pick the icewm session and you are good to go.

How much ram do you have?

super
November 29th, 2005, 03:00 AM
How much ram do you have?
:( i know. it's sad!

super
November 29th, 2005, 03:02 AM
@azz
thanks for a great idea! i never thought of that.

tabinin
November 29th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Looks like the folks in Canada like this thread...

az
November 29th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Depending on how much disk space you have, you can install the default desktop for all the gui configuration stuff and run icewm as your desktop. that way, you get all the tools.

You can also try xfce4

128 megs of ram and a 300 mHz pentium (they have a big cache so they run pretty well) will run the default desktop, too, if you don't mind things being a little slow.

super
November 29th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Looks like the folks in Canada like this thread...
eh? ;)

@tabinin
i just checked out dsl on distrowatch. i hadn't realized it was .deb based also. i am gonna try out both the strpped down ubu and dsl and see which i like better.

i have a lot of free time to do this now that winter is finally here. :razz:

Adrian
November 29th, 2005, 03:20 AM
It's not Debian based, but Puppy Linux (http://www.goosee.com/puppy/) has gained a lot of popularity lately. Might be worth a try if everything else fails.

Btw, I've ran Debian with a light KDE desktop on a 128MB machine without any problems.

Dr. Nick
November 29th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Im on a 366 mobile p2 with my laptop and 128mb of ram. I either run enlightenment e17 or Gnome with openbox replacing metacity. Its not the fastest but good enough to preform one or two task at a time, sorta boggs down with alot running which is to be expected.

My best advice would be to make sure you use the 686 kernel as it seems a bit faster than the 386. May just be my imaginatin though :)