PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What am I doing wrong?

stateeofmind
October 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I recently downloaded Ubuntu and was pretty eager to install it. I am currently on Windows XP home edition on a laptop. I download the iso for ubuntu and began to mount the iso and install it to my pc.

It went on the c-d with no problems, then I ran the c-d. After I get to the menu on which to install I slect the regular way and I just get a "Please wait... Loading" text with a command prompt.

Any word on what I am doing wrong? The software from the loading stays blank and I can't do anything.

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Have you checked the iso you downloaded that the md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) matches and checked the cd for defects after you burnt it at x4 or less? To check the cd for defects it is one of the options at the main menu.

stateeofmind
October 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I am checking now....

The command prompt starts with "initramfs".

Partyboi2
October 31st, 2008, 12:17 AM
If the md5sum passes then try using some boot options. At the main menu press F6 and at the end of the line add

all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll then press enter and see how you go.

stateeofmind
October 31st, 2008, 12:21 AM
CD came back good. I just did that and I got

"all_generic_ide : not found"

I just installed Ubuntu with the same disk on my sisters laptop and it worked perfect. I wonder why it's not on mine.

Sef
October 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM
I just installed Ubuntu with the same disk on my sisters laptop and it worked perfect. I wonder why it's not on mine.

Likely hardware problem then. Please list your hardware.