PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid 8:10 Impressions

smirnoff76
October 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I am wondering what everyones impression of 8:10 is?

My ATI card seems to work better but I have a slow login process.

My WEP wireless network also seems to be slower is anyone else finding this? I have also found that the network bars that reside in the system tray also decide to hide on occasion and cant be found again or is that just me?

I am undecided if moving to 8:10 has hampered performance I want to say it hasn't but I actually think it has?

I did an upgrade from 8.04 and am just wondering if it is worth doing a clean install rather than taking the upgrade path??

I am interested to hear what others opinions of the software is so far?

le singe
October 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I second your curiosity.

I downloaded the iso, but I have yet to upgrade or do a clean install as I wanted to first read through some of the issues people are having. In the Installation and Upgrades section of the forum it seems that people are only posting problems. What positive impressions are people having? Has the upgrade or reinstall process gone smoothly for a lot of people? I read a lot of positive things about the betas and the release candidate, so surely the official release today must have its benefits. Maybe those who haven't had any problems upgrading are busy using ubuntu and doing their thing. :-s

sleepingdragon
October 31st, 2008, 12:24 AM
OK. I went for the upgrade option with Kubuntu to KDE4.1 - and I have a KDE/Gnome combo (I switch between multiple apps). The upgrde went fine for me, I've been VERY lucky in that respect in that I've never had a failure since 6.06 *ducks for cover*. Login time is slow for me too, but smooth.

Once I'm on the desktop performance is actually better than KDE3. KDE4 does fire up all the desktop extras such as Compiz, but it's not too hard to switch them off.

My biggest complaint (and KDE devs should be severely beaten for this) is that you cannot directly create a launcher on the taskbar. To get around this, find the app on the Kickoff Menu, right-click it and select "Add to Panel". From there, it's possible to customise the icon as normal. That was nearly a KDE killer for me, I only found that out by chance. The other problem I have is that the extra multimedia keys on my keyboard no longer work, but I'm working on that one. All my other hardware/software functions have been normal, including the upgrade to the newest driver for my nVidia.

Overall though, the upgrade has been good, I'm looking forward to the new features in Intrepid, but that KDE4 still needs a lot of work. Perhaps it's just me finding KDE4 TOO different from KDE3, but the learning curve to some very basic desktop functions has been unpleasently steep. I would be concerned that this new desktop approach is too far gone for the "old school" way of doing things and it's going to deter a lot of new users to Ubuntu. For the beginner, stick to Gnome or XFCE.

tuxxy
October 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
My thoughts are here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=962542

ALso just completed a boot up speed test vs Vista 64-bit :)

celticbhoy
October 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM
Again with a slowed down login, but on the whole runs smoother once in.

HanZo
November 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
This release solved a lot of problems I had with hardy. My cds now mount properly on the desktop and compiz seems to work better (most of the time, but more on that matter later on). Some things stopped working, like I can't get the built in mic to work, and neither does the webcam work. Since I have an XPS dell (one of those that come with ubuntu preinstalled) I guess I only have to wait for the dell repos to be updated to intrepid.

Now, the compiz thing. I have an nvida card, a GeForceTM Go 8400M GS if my memory does not fail me. Compiz never really worked fine with this card, it always was kind of slow, when maximizing a window from the taskbar (especially with mozilla apps) you would get lots of tearing and overall slow response.
Now with 8.10 compiz seems to be fine, expect some times when it will fall back to the old habits... but I don't understand why... there seems to be no visibile pattern in how it behaves.