PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ibex Alternate ISO

meatlegs
October 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hello all,
I've downloaded the Intrepid Alternate CD ISO and I'm planning on mounting this on my hard drive and upgrading from Hardy.
Has anyone else tried this with success?

Cheers

tajgenie
October 31st, 2008, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to do the same thing right now. When it asks if I want to download additional packages, I say no, but then later it tries to download them anyway instead of using just the packages on the cd. If I'm not connected to the internet, the upgrade fails and won't continue. If I am connected it downloads ok, but my connection is too slow for this to be acceptable.

Anyone know why this is happening?

cbstryker
October 31st, 2008, 08:55 PM
I'm getting the EXACT same problem/symptom. The servers seem to be flooded with people getting the update that I'm getting an average 15kbps which says it'll take more than 2 days. My solution was to download the alternate install iso via torrent and update. When it asks if I want to get the latest packages from the internet I say no but it downloads anyways. I started the upgrade over with my internet connect disabled and then it gives me an error saying "could not fetch" etc etc and will abort. MAJOR flaw if you ask me!

I LOOOVE Ubuntu and this is a bit disappointing. I expect this from MS, not Ubuntu.

tajgenie
October 31st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Now that I think about it, I tried to update via internet before I tried the alternate cd. Maybe because I started the download and then cancelled, ubuntu is confused?

I checked my /etc/apt/sources.list and there are a bunch of intrepid sources in there. I replaced it with an older version (with only hardy sources), and am now trying the cdromupdate again. I think this might just work - I will report back when I know if it does or not.

tajgenie
October 31st, 2008, 09:15 PM
The cdrom updater appears to have added intrepid sources to my sources.list, but now when it says "getting packages" the number is reduced to 1060 total packages (about half what it said before). It's now Installing the packages, and I should be in Intrepid soon!

So try what I did cbstryker, and you may just be in Intrepid soon too!

me121
October 31st, 2008, 09:56 PM
i started downloading the updates, but it was running to slow and took longer than all night, and since i can't seem to schedule it to start during off-peak times, i will get the alternate-cd.

but are you saying that if i've started the download the updates via the web, but now want to do the rest by cd, i will need to change the sources? this sounds like it will break the upgrade, are you sure it works? thanks!

quonsar
October 31st, 2008, 10:06 PM
same deal here - i d/l the iso torrent and then the upgrade took forever downloading packages anyway when i thought i would be avoiding the crush on the servers. but aside from that it went well - i just feel like i wasted the time it took to d/l the alternate iso!

Dumdideldum
October 31st, 2008, 10:12 PM
I have used the alternate iso (downloaded via torrent) to upgrade and had other problems - a kernel panic (posted in this forum) - but there is afair (was already after midnight ;) ) an option to select, if the updater just should use the packages on the CD or fetch those packages, which are newer than on the CD and/or aren't on the CD, from the internet.

But it took even though very long and in my case, didn't finish at all.

meganox
October 31st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Worked fine for me, I started with a completely clean and up to date Hardy install (don't ask why) and it didn't download anything, but that's because I haven't any packages installed that aren't on the CD. The packages it downloaded for you guys are updates to the extras you've installed from repos, so it wasn't wasting your time at all :)

tajgenie
October 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
i started downloading the updates, but it was running to slow and took longer than all night, and since i can't seem to schedule it to start during off-peak times, i will get the alternate-cd.

but are you saying that if i've started the download the updates via the web, but now want to do the rest by cd, i will need to change the sources? this sounds like it will break the upgrade, are you sure it works? thanks!

I just booted into Intrepid and it's working :)

I have used the alternate iso (downloaded via torrent) to upgrade and had other problems - a kernel panic (posted in this forum) - but there is afair (was already after midnight ;) ) an option to select, if the updater just should use the packages on the CD or fetch those packages, which are newer than on the CD and/or aren't on the CD, from the internet.

Right, but our problem was that the option ignored our choice - it was downloading the web packages even if I said "no, only use the cdrom". Resetting my sources did the trick, and got that option working again.

cbstryker
October 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
The cdrom updater appears to have added intrepid sources to my sources.list, but now when it says "getting packages" the number is reduced to 1060 total packages (about half what it said before). It's now Installing the packages, and I should be in Intrepid soon!

So try what I did cbstryker, and you may just be in Intrepid soon too!

Well my sources.list had only hardy entries. What I did do though, was change the server on the software sources box to "main" instead of "canada". For whatever reason, after I did that, the update no longer tried to download anything. I still think there's a significant bug that needs to be filtered out still with the update manager, but otherwise it has gone well so far. Thank for the sugestion tajgenie.

tajgenie
November 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Well my sources.list had only hardy entries. What I did do though, was change the server on the software sources box to "main" instead of "canada". For whatever reason, after I did that, the update no longer tried to download anything. I still think there's a significant bug that needs to be filtered out still with the update manager, but otherwise it has gone well so far. Thank for the sugestion tajgenie.

Interesting.... Well at least you got it working, albeit for an even stranger reason!