PDA

View Full Version : Staying on Hardy probably...

markinf
October 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Hi,

I'm using Hardy and after a lot of work, that includes manually compiling the kernel adding patches and modules plus compiling a lot of softwares that aren't on repo and fixing dependecys, I'm now with a 100% linux working notebook. That's right I got Bluetooth, Finger Print Reader, Webcam, Microfone, Multimedia Keys of the Notebook, etc, ... all working. That is I have now a 100% complete system up to date.

So I fear that when I update I'll break this 'perfection' and I'll probably wait about 2-3 months so I can get a really bug-free update :D. Any one out there in the same situation??

Another question is, I don't want to update now, however will I receive the updated packages from Intrepid? Such as the new nautilus and all? If no, can I get manually the .deb from Intrepid repo and install??

I really want that tab's...

steeleyuk
October 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
You won't get the Intrepid updates but you'll probably get a notification that Intrepid is released through Update Manager.

If you want tabs in Nautilus then you'll have to compile, but that often means compiling a bunch of other things that it depends on. Unless you can find a PPA with all the packages, compiling is the only option. All in all, it'll be more hassle than its worth.

You'd be best just trying the Live CD and seeing what works and breaks.

BGFG
October 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM
i suppose you could just change your repos to intrepid, get nautilus and it's dependancies then change them back...
Or maybe the new Gnome desktop will hit the hardy repos soon. I can't say i have a lot of experience in how the repositories are maintained.
i just went to intrepid from scratch. So SMOOTH it was almost anticlimatic :)Install took all of 15-20 mins. just trying to remember what i had installed now :)

Your setup sounds nice... and if it aint broke....

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
This is where Ubuntu falls short, to get the latest gnome or whatever you have to update to the next version.
I wish it worked more like debian testing, updating what you want without all the extra junk