PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After 8.10 upgrade Places menu screwed

xhero0
October 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I just upgraded my 8.04 to 8.10 thios morning,but now when I use the places menu everything from Home folder to videos brings up totem player....

FRIGGIN' Weird....any clues? Cos I dont have any

Thanx!

Joe M

kneewax
October 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have the same problem! Except it is VLC that runs on my laptop when I try to use the Places Menu...

mikewhatever
October 30th, 2008, 10:31 PM
In my case, it was Archive Manager :confused:, and here's how I solved it.
Call out Nautilus with alt+f2 --> naulilus, which should open your home folder. Now, right click on any of the folders (Video, Pictures, whatever) and get to the 'Open with' tab. Check the button next to 'Open Folder', that should be it. In my case, the default application was the Archive Manager, so that it would always come up.

kneewax
October 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM
seriously what's with that!!! :confused Thanks Mike!

mikewhatever
October 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
seriously what's with that!!! :confused Thanks Mike!

Welcome. I was so freaked out, you wouldn't believe.:confused:

verhage
October 30th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I had the exact same thing. Not VLC, Totem or Archive manager though, but Rhythmbox...

babuu
October 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
I had the exact same thing. Not VLC, Totem or Archive manager though, but Rhythmbox...

And for me it was F-spot... :guitar:

ricardisimo
October 31st, 2008, 08:54 PM
F-Spot as well, and "Open Folder" was already selected, so who knows what was up? It's working now, though. Thanks.

kaivalagi
November 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM
There is a launchpad bug for this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/260492

In summary, the best fix is to edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list removing the offending ?.desktop entries against the inode/directory entry.

e.g. from:

inode/directory=userapp-baobab-OO53FU.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;nautilus.desktop;userapp-nautilus-XXZ2JU.desktop;

to:

inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;

There is no need to go through all the places bookmarked changing the "open with" options

Misat
November 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but it didn't work for me.

Misat
November 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
I did the whole alt + f2 thing, but I don't understand the directions past that. What is Nautilus?

mikewhatever
November 1st, 2008, 11:46 PM
I did the whole alt + f2 thing, but I don't understand the directions past that. What is Nautilus?

Hi Misat, Nautilus is a file browser program that allows you to graphically access files and folders. If you press alt+f2 and type 'nautilus', the program will open your home folder in a window. Hope that's a bit clearer now.

Quisling
November 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
And then once Nautilus is open, you want to right-click --> Properties --> Open With Tab --> select "Open Folder" action.

Also, thanks a bunch Mike, I was lost as well (Archive Manager). Definitely tons of fun relearning all this operating-system specifc stuff :-D

majoda
August 28th, 2010, 04:38 AM
no computer expert, just cut & paste
copy below into terminal

gksudo gedit cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

below list came...

Added Associations]
message/rfc822=gedit.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;thunderbird.desktop;
application/octet-stream=eog.desktop;
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint=openoffice.org-impress.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;
application/x-ole-storage=openoffice.org-draw.desktop;
inode/socket=f-spot-view.desktop;
application/x-extension-part=vlc.desktop;
inode/directory=vlc.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;transmission.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;
application/x-executable=gedit.desktop;
application/x-extension-drive=nautilus-browser.desktop;
application/x-extension-link=nautilus-browser.desktop;
image/png=eog.desktop;f-spot-view.desktop;gimp.desktop;firefox.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;
text/x-ldif=gedit.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;thunderbird.desktop;

after ..
inode/directory=
delete ( vlc.desktop)
should read..
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;transmission.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;
worked for me!!!!

majoda
March 6th, 2011, 04:37 AM
after a upgrade and also having home under separate partition
/home/USERNAME/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
I had to change file

see below

[Added Associations]
message/rfc822=gedit.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;thunderbird.desktop;
application/octet-stream=eog.desktop;
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint=openoffice.org-impress.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;
inode/socket=f-spot-view.desktop;
application/x-extension-part=vlc.desktop;
application/x-executable=gedit.desktop;
application/x-extension-drive=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;mount-archive.desktop;file-roller.desktop;vlc.desktop;
application/x-extension-link=nautilus-browser.desktop;
image/png=eog.desktop;f-spot-view.desktop;gimp.desktop;firefox.desktop;nautilus-browser.desktop;
text/x-ldif=gedit.desktop;openoffice.org-writer.desktop;thunderbird.desktop;
x-content/image-dcf=f-spot-import.desktop;eog.desktop;
application/x-ole-storage=openoffice.org-writer.desktop;openoffice.org-impress.desktop;evince.desktop;gimp.desktop;
application/x-ms-dos-executable=shotwell-viewer.desktop;f-spot-view.desktop;file-roller.desktop;nautilus-autorun-software.desktop;eog.desktop;
application/rdf+xml=userapp-qcad-1KGZPV.desktop;
image/vnd.dwg=bricscadv11.desktop;qcad.desktop;userapp-qcad-1KGZPV.desktop;
video/mpeg=totem.desktop;
inode/directory=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;

Krytarik
March 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM
It seems to be a good idea to remove the file altogether from time to time! ;-) Because there are quite a lot inappropriate assignments in yours.