PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ubuntu 8.10 - lost wireless network

billio
October 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Just upgraded to 8.10. Everything appears to be OK but no longer automatically connects to wireless network and can't find a way to do it manually. Are there new things to do ?.

Fortunately I can connect with ethernet cable and hence ask this question..

Bill

Lenovo 3000 N100

inxygnuu
October 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
do you know if your driver is supported? i would try to find the driver software. Do you have a disk? if so, i can help:).

Regards,
Evan;)

zuheyr
October 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thank you Bill for writing my question for me.

Things have changed in the wireless connection description since 8.4.

I was and still am using (WITH 7.10 and 8.4) a wireless connection with "Hex" protection and 26 character "paraphrase". What protection does it correspond to now? Luckily, like Bill, the wired connection works and I can live with it as it is desktop, but I would not like to have it with my laptop.

As a side remark, I also noticed that I got no sound from Totem.

Anyway, **great many thanks** to the people who created the miracle in time and gave us the 8.10.

Regards, Zuheyr

billio
October 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
This problem appeared to resolve itself, somehow.

At first the network icon did not appear on the toolbar, but after a reboot it did appear. Re-starting and re-setting the wireless router allowed me to re-enter the network details and the connection now works fine.

Now move on to the other problems ...

zuheyr
October 31st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Bill.

Do you mean you had to reboot your router? I was using I think 64 bit Hex security pass phrase. What does that correspond to now do you have any idea?

Thanks and I hope problem free weekend! Regards, Zuheyr

northicert
October 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Just to stay on the safe side. Check your free space on your hard drive. Click on Places and then on Desktop and it should tell you on the bottom of page.