PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 upgrade fails PC hangs on reboot

p.n
October 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I have upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 through a network upgrade. Everything seems to work OK but on reboot it fails with the last line reading

Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

As it happes I did the upgrade before I have to finish my year financials thats all on this machine, so help would be appreciated.

Thanks
p.n

lemming465
October 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
If the boot got as far as /etc/rc.local before failing, it probably dropped you into a root shell text console? If not, hit [Escape] at the grub countdown, type "e" to edit the main entry, arrow down one to the kernel line, hit "e" again to edit it, and append "-i 1" to request a boot in single-user mode. Press [Enter] to exit the edit mode, and "b" to continue the boot.

Once at a root console (the shell prompt will be # rather than $), see if you can figure out what's up. The first thing is to look in /etc/rc.local, e.g. "less /etc/rc.local". "df -m" or "cat /proc/mounts" to see what filesystems are available would be good too. Examining /var/log/messages might be revealing too.

If there is nothing important in /etc/rc.local, try "mv /etc/rc.local /etc/rc.local-bad" and then "shutdown -r now" to reboot.

Without more diagnostic information, we won't be able to offer you more specific advice. Other than never upgrade when something important is going on, and it's OK to wait a week or two for the dust to settle before upgrading. Though I admit I upgraded early to the release candidate, but I started by upgrading a spare install on a laptop which I could live without before doing my main desktop.

jonc101
October 30th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm also getting this error after performing an automatic upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. It just hangs at:
*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]

I do have access to a prompt so I checked /etc/ and there is no ../rc.local/ directory. It's missing. Mount points and filesystems look good. How can I get that directory back?

p.n
October 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yip, I know. It was stupid to run this upgrade now, but then I am an upgrade junkie so there is no way that I would not have done it. Have upgraded so many times before without any problems. After all, I have been waiting for 8.10 for 6 months now...

So, from /var/log/messages I get something warning me that I need to fix my cupsd application to use native api avahi. But I reckon this can't be the problem since I am nowhere ready to be printing anything.

There is nothing in rc.local apart from exit 0 so this is also not the problem.

Nothing strange in /proc/mounts as far as I can see.

I do think however that it might just be something with the NVIDIA drivers or related.

Could this indeed be a video driver issue and if so, how would I check for this?

p.n

p.n
October 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Yip, I know. It was stupid to run this upgrade now, but then I am an upgrade junkie so there is no way that I would not have done it. Have upgraded so many times before without any problems. After all, I have been waiting for 8.10 for 6 months now...

So, from /var/log/messages I get something warning me that I need to fix my cupsd application to use native api avahi. But I reckon this can't be the problem since I am nowhere ready to be printing anything.

There is nothing in rc.local apart from exit 0 so this is also not the problem.

Nothing strange in /proc/mounts as far as I can see.

I do think however that it might just be something with the NVIDIA drivers or related.

Could this indeed be a video driver issue and if so, how would I check for this?

p.n

lemming465
October 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
/etc/rc.local is a file; there is no directory (other than /etc/init.d and /etc/rc[12346].d).

Evidently the problem is farther in the boot process; the suggestion of X woes seems likely. Check /var/log/X.0.log for problems. If you have an nvidia video card, you could trying putting Driver "nv" into the device paragraph of/etc/X11/xorg.conf. Or you could try Driver "vesa", which might work with other kinds of cards as well. On one of my systems this looks like:

Section "device" #
Identifier "device1"
Boardname "nv"
Busid "PCI:1:5:0"
Driver "nv"
Screen 1
EndSection

Another possible thing to try is booting an older 8.04 kernel; it will be a 2.6.24-something, not one of the ibex 2.6.27-somethings.

p.n
October 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well, mine says:

Section "device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 6200"
Boardname "nv"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "nv"
Option "AddRGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddRGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Does this help? Probably not.

p.n
October 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well, mine says:

Section "device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 6200"
Driver "nv"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "nv"
Option "AddRGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddRGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Does this help? Probably not.

ihitf13anddied
October 31st, 2008, 03:16 AM
im having the same issue.

jf1991999
October 31st, 2008, 03:53 AM
I am having the same problem. I made a Live CD and thought that would be a good way to go but when I get to the partitioning of the drive I am scared I will screw everything up. I currently run a dual boot with vista. Is this a potential path to a fix? Ubuntu has only recently become my primary OS, Vista finally pushed me to a complete switch to Ubuntu :)

EricFC
October 31st, 2008, 04:07 AM
Also hanging at "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]
On a mini-itx system with Via chipset.
I haven't found anything irregular (yet).

Eric

p.n
October 31st, 2008, 06:01 AM
I am more and more convinced that this is a video driver issue. When I boot in recovery mode and I start gdm from the command line the monitor flashes a couple of times and ends up in the state described above.

Does GDM have a log that I can view to find out what the problem could be? I do not really wnat to install from scratch. There must be a way to fix this.

ajacx
October 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM
I'm having the same problem, but maybe a few differences. I don't have the new kernels in my grub menu, in fact when I go to /boot I don't even have the new kernels installed. I updated via network using the update manager. Everything seemed to be going smooth and it deleted all the old packages and asked me to reboot, after which I get stuck at rc.local , after its checked my batteries. rc.local is empty, just has exit 0 and so the problem seems to be beyond this. My /var/log/Xorg.log shows vesa failed to load as well as the mouse, and there is a fatal error: no screens found.

So now I can't boot even from the 8.04 kernels (2.6.21-x I think) though I can get to recovery mode. This is most likely a corrupt installation, do you recommend a fresh install from a live cd?

I have some data in my home directory I'd like to transfer (I have two hard disks one with windows and the other with Ubuntu). I'm really new at this, could someone please tell me how I can copy the contents of my home directory to my windows disk from the shell. After that I'll probably do a fresh installation, unless of course there are any recommendations on how to continue from here without a fresh install. Once again I'm very new at all of this, and I would be really grateful for any help anyone could lend. Thanks

mngm
October 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have the exact same problem... I just ran update-manager to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 and now I can't boot anymore. It hangs on "running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)".

Hopefully someone comes with a solution, because I don't want to do a fresh install because I will loose alot of installed appz then...

leofishman
October 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Same problem here.
Acer Aspire s100 AMD Turion64

It looks like a video problem but there are a lot of computers with the same issue.
Can we expect a solution from ubuntu?

banzairx7
October 31st, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm in the same boat here. Is it possible to downgrade back to 8.04? I use this machine everyday to work from home and need it back up asap.

This is an older Gateway Laptop Model 450ROG. I'd say it's circa 2002.

I'm able to type when it hangs. All though I can't get any response or actions.

themusicwave
October 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM
I am having the same issue on an Dell Inspiron E1505. I get to running local scripts, at which point it freezes. I left it there for an hour and it made no progress.

I then treid to reconfigure xorg with dpkg-recnfigure xserver-xorg I tried answering both yes and no to the first question about kernel frame buffering.

When I enter the command sudo startx, I get output stating that 3 modules failed to load it says:

(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)

It then says:

Fatal server error:
No Screens found
giving up.
xinit: Connection reset by eer(errno 104): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errono 3): Server error.

Based on all of this it looks like something is very wrong with Xserver. It can't be started and is missing the generic vesa driver, my mouse and my touchpad driver.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the issue.

banzairx7
October 31st, 2008, 02:13 PM
I started in recovery mode. I get the same exact errors as musicwave.

gdecon
October 31st, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'm unable to boot the new kernel but an older kernal appears on the boot list (2.6.24) and I have no problem booting that. Perhaps that will get you back to work until this is resolved

glis
October 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
I am having the same issue on an Dell Inspiron E1505. I get to running local scripts, at which point it freezes. I left it there for an hour and it made no progress.

I then treid to reconfigure xorg with dpkg-recnfigure xserver-xorg I tried answering both yes and no to the first question about kernel frame buffering.

When I enter the command sudo startx, I get output stating that 3 modules failed to load it says:

(EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "synaptics" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module does not exist, 0)

It then says:

Fatal server error:
No Screens found
giving up.
xinit: Connection reset by eer(errno 104): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errono 3): Server error.

Based on all of this it looks like something is very wrong with Xserver. It can't be started and is missing the generic vesa driver, my mouse and my touchpad driver.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the issue.

Same exact errors too... No solution...

meganox
October 31st, 2008, 04:47 PM
There is no problem with /etc/rc.local, it's just that this was the last thing to be printed on screen. It's no doubt and Xorg issue. There are lots of posts about this, many people's video hardware is not working after this upgrade ATI cards in particular.

hunteramor
October 31st, 2008, 04:54 PM
Does everyone having this problem have an nvidia card?

I have the same issue. Dropping into terminal and attempting apt-get upgrade, I find that it's running into problems with package nvidia-glx, which I've then tried to remove/update/reinstall every way I know to no avail.

p.n
October 31st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately I opted to remove all previous kernels so there is nothing there boot into... I am still stumped. Tried to run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, but this does nothing to my video drivers.

It is as if there is no screen or video card at all at all!

banzairx7
October 31st, 2008, 05:07 PM
I have an old kernel listed but when I try to boot from it it says it can't find it. I'm running an nvidia card.

I'm running right now off the 8.10 live cd. Everything works AOK from this.
Luckily most of what I need to access is web based.

themusicwave
October 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM
Based on what I previously posted, I do believe this is a Xorg issue.

For more information I have an Nvida card, specifically a NVidia Geoforce Go 7300.

I do remember seeing something about glx-new and an error pass by when I was watching it install packages this morning as part of the update.

Also, it looks like Gnome is trying to work. When I do a sudo halt now, I see a message indicating Gnome Display Manager is being stopped.

I haven't tried a previous kernel, I'll give that a shot.

KrystianJ
October 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
I'm getting the same thing, computer hangs on reboot, also running an nvidia video card.

:(

Sevy
October 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM
Same here.Hangs on Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)
Also the new kernel doesnt appear in grub menu

jikuty
October 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm also having the same problem, and I believe it's a video-card related issue. When booting, the screen flickers about 3-4 times before hanging at the spot mentioned. If I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, it shows that it's halting the Gnome Display Manager, as well as a whole lot of other programs that would normally start up if it booted properly. If I go into Terminal mode and try to run 'gdm', it says that it's already running!

I'm using a Thinkpad T61 with an Nvidia NVS140M card.

p.n
October 31st, 2008, 07:13 PM
OK, I gave up. I did a re-install from scratch from the CD. Fortunately I hade my /home on a different partition and it picked up my settigns very nicely.

I am up and running again and will leave the figuring out of this problem to you guys...

jikuty
October 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
I might also do a fresh install if nothing is figured out in a little while. I have my /home in a different partition as well, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Dumdideldum
October 31st, 2008, 07:24 PM
That is most likely an Xorg (configuration) error, and has nothing to do with rc.local. Thats just the last thing you see on the screen, because X doesn't get loaded.

Like mentioned above, try a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, uncomment the modules listed as failed to load in the xorg.conf or, install the nvidia binary driver manually
(dont't forget to install build-essential).

themusicwave
October 31st, 2008, 07:39 PM
I'm backing up all my files an preparing for a fresh install.

On the bright side doing all this file copying from the command line is improving my CLI skills.

Hopefully someone finds a fix.

Also, for those of you who gave up and did a fresh install, did it work or did the problem come up again?

Thanks.

barracudamagoo
October 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi, same issue for me. I upgraded to 8.10 and on reboot it gets to "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)" and then the screen flashes three times and it can't proceed. I tried booting older kernels and recovery mode with no success. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Intregrated GM965/GL960. The Xorg.0.log says:

failed to load module "intel"
failed to load module "mouse"
failed to load module "synaptics"
No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

------

This is my telecommuting computer and I'm in a bit of a tough spot. As a rule, should I wait a 2-3 months to upgrade to the newest version? I owe a Mountain Dew to somebody who can help me and the other people with this one :) Thank you in advance.

p.n
October 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm backing up all my files an preparing for a fresh install.

On the bright side doing all this file copying from the command line is improving my CLI skills.

Hopefully someone finds a fix.

Also, for those of you who gave up and did a fresh install, did it work or did the problem come up again?

Thanks.

Problem disappeared. Running fine now.

banzairx7
October 31st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Whats the deal with a fresh install? If I make a new partition so I don't lose my files can I repartition later to make one partition? Im not very Linux savvy, but know enough to get myself in trouble.

jf1991999
October 31st, 2008, 09:13 PM
This appears to be a wide spread problem. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS video card. However I am not sure that this is the issue. When I boot in my dual boot config, I don't have 8.10 listed.

schmeet
October 31st, 2008, 10:25 PM
I am also suffering from this problem, however I am not using an Nvidia card. I'm using an ATi Radeon 9200SE, exact same symptoms from the original post.

KrystianJ
October 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
Has anyone found a resolution to this yet? Does a fresh install work?

Just a bit curious! :)

ihitf13anddied
November 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
see next post

ihitf13anddied
November 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
p.n. HAS stated that fresh install fixes it. I also have an nvidia card, my ubuntu box is still sitting on the step JUST before it actually parts the drive...any solutions greatly appreciated!!

jikuty
November 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
If I reinstall ubuntu keeping my home folder as it is (it's on its own partition), will I recover all my settings _and_ installed applications? I have a bunch of stuff I don't want to lose, like my Virtualbox setup, etc.

themusicwave
November 1st, 2008, 01:23 AM
I just did a clean install from an 8.10 disc I burned. I now have everything working!

For some reason the update must screw X up, everything is fine on my Dell Inspiron E1505 with a clean install.

captainskyhawk
November 1st, 2008, 02:11 AM
Just had the same problem on an Inspiron 1100. Upgraded from 8.04 from an Alternate Install Disc from within Ubuntu, rebooted and nothing, just a black screen.

Rebooted into the latest kernel's recovery mode and did the "xfix" thing to try and fix the xserver, and it looked like it worked, so far...

matt5ash
November 1st, 2008, 02:21 AM
So, I have two computers, a system76 and an older systemax. The system76 (64 bit) and the systemax (32 bit) both show this error (what ever it is !!) ... just to add to the list !!

so ... looks like I'll be downloading the image burn a CD and starting a fresh install !!?? :(

any other thoughts would be of great interest !!

on the other hand, my office Dell ungraded just fine ...

--matt

JEStone
November 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM
same problem here....I'm new to linux, and have no idea how to fix this.

jikuty
November 1st, 2008, 02:28 AM
I checked my /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found that the following modules failed to load: vesa, synaptics, mouse. Also, at the very end of the file, it says "Fatal server error: no screens found".

Finally, I'm not sure if this changes anything, but in my GRUB list, the only Ubuntu version showing says that it is kernel 2.6.24.

morrisonpeter
November 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM
No joy with my upgrade. I have a Dell precision 220 that worked fine, but never booted properly after the upgrade. Same issues as above, plus the keyboard stops working if I load my grub menu, so can't try booting any other settings to backup my files before I do a clean install. I can get to a shell with CTRL-ALT-F1, but don't know enough to burn a backup cd... guess I won't miss my data too much. I know my computer is a relic, but gutsy worked great on it. I will keep checking to see if anyone has a fix, but in the mean time, downloading the iso for a clean install, as everyone seems to fix the problem with that.

morrisonpeter
November 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM
I meant hardy I think, in any case I had the latest version running perfectly before the upgrade to 8.10. I have an nvidia TNT2 card that was running on the restricted drivers I believe. Damn I hate having to run a fresh install, probably have to find windows drivers and ndiswrapper my wireless card, fix screen res, etc, etc, all over again. I also get a blue screen of death (lol) that says "Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem? <yes> <no>" When I hit yes, it says "Warning: Failsafe mode was already attempted within 30 seconds. Warning: Falling back to gdm to report the issue. <OK>", then it says "The X server is now disabled. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly. <OK>", then my screen hangs after "* Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]"... at this point I can hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a terminal, but that's as far as I can get, any ideas?

Muflon
November 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
I also have this problem.

After the upgrade reboot, displays the splash screen and bar gets almost to the end then several messages are displayed. The last message says 'Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)'. The screen flashes several times and then it just halts.

I can log in in recovery mode. The /boot folder only has the 2.6.24 Hardy kernel and not the 2.6.27 Intrepid version. The /var/log/gdm/:0.log reports 'Fatal server error: no screens found'.

Muflon

rogkmyers
November 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
WOW - I have exactly the same issue. Upgrade went well - took a while.

I was using GRUB for dual boot between 8.04 and Windows XP. When I restarted at the end of the install My system hangs at exactly the same place as yours. When I ctrl alt del I get the following message:

Stopping GNOME display manager

Eventually it shuts the system down (even gives a quick flash of the ubuntu load up splash screen.

I was using ubuntu 8.04 on
AMD 5600+ 64 bit machine with 4Gb RAM and an 8800 gts 320Mb vid card

Also my GRUB loader only has the load up options for the old (8.04) kernel. (there is no entry for the new one i just upgraded to.)

Can someone please help us....

Regards

roger

jlx
November 1st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Same problem here.
I tried to use my old hardy version og xorg.cong but it didn't start xserver. Can't load nvidia, synaptic and mouse modules.
I have a nVidia XFX Geforce 6800XT.
Keep searching for a solution.

Muflon
November 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Can someone please help us....

Regards

roger

To be honest I think we are screwed :(

I am in the process of tar-ing up my home directory and copying it to a USB device before going for a fresh install.

Muflon

jlx
November 1st, 2008, 11:11 AM
I did from command line (recovery mode) an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and I have a lot of packages that are not going to be update. Among them I have all x11 and xorg packages. Could that be the problem? How can I force that packages to be installed?

groovelator
November 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Same problem here, no screens, startx doesn't work, etc.

I think that the problem might be with the 'delete obsolete packages' section of the upgrade. It took an age to populate, and I noticed that it had selected a large number of packages to uninstall (400+). I was watching it as it worked before finally rebooting, and it deleted firefox, Ooo, Evolution... everything I think :shock:

Silly me - I should have elected to keep the old stuff, but I just assumed that the upgrade knew what it was doing...

Muflon
November 1st, 2008, 11:22 AM
I did from command line (recovery mode) an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and I have a lot of packages that are not going to be update. Among them I have all x11 and xorg packages. Could that be the problem? How can I force that packages to be installed?

From memory when you run 'apt-get upgrade' it lists the packages to be upgraded and asks if you wish to continue. If you opt to continue it will upgrade all the packages listed. When it is finished and you reboot you could be on to a winner :). Unfortunatly I didn't have a network connection so I couldn't test the apt-get fix.

Muflon

kkhue
November 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
exact same problem...

PerePipirimosca
November 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
SOLVED!!!!!

I got it working doing:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

:guitar:

Still need a solution for computers on which network is not working :(

HappyLellow
November 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
PerePipirimosca, can you be more specific please? I've tried to do exactly what you are telling after the line "Running local boot scripts..." and nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

jlx
November 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
No luck here. I'm backing up and doing a fresh install.

PerePipirimosca
November 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Sorry, was so happy about getting it to work that I sent a short message.

Here is the long explanation. It looks that something goes wrong when upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10 from update manager so many packages are not upgraded. So the system has not all packages upgraded which leads to a problem with xOrg.

So when you reach at the point of getting stucked at:

"Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"

Press Ctrl Alt F1 to get to the console, login, and then write:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

After that restart your computer to get into gnome :).

Beside this I noticed that some programs where not installed so I had to Add again firefox, thunderbird, Ooo ... I agree with groovelator, the option "delete obsolete packages" on the upgrading could be part of the problem, so if you are still in time, I think it is a good idea not to delete them...

I am just wondering how to upgrade if network connection got not to workk on the process :confused:

Good luck upgrading!!

.;_'-._
{; \,__.-'/} Pere Vidal i Domènech.
`'--._.-'
`- \( '-. \ web page: http://adela.mundoalternativo.org
\;---,/ http://www.pipirimosca.com
/ .-' )\ "No hay caminos para la paz,

rogkmyers
November 1st, 2008, 12:51 PM
So when you reach at the point of getting stucked at:

"Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"

Press Ctrl Alt F1 to get to the console, login, and then write:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I tried that - now i get a whole bunch of "failed to fetch errors" when i try to "apt-get update"

any ideas?..

my mirror is optus.net (in Australia)

edit --> OK i jsut ran ifconfig - I am not connected to my network - this could be a problem :). anyone tell me how to get my DHCP working so i can get an address on the network?

Roger

kkhue
November 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I tried that - now i get a whole bunch of "failed to fetch errors" when i try to "apt-get update"

any ideas?..

my mirror is optus.net (in Australia)

edit --> OK i jsut ran ifconfig - I am not connected to my network - this could be a problem :). anyone tell me how to get my DHCP working so i can get an address on the network?

Roger

same thing happens to me, don't have network at that point

rogkmyers
November 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
ok im half way there!

firstly to get an ip

sudo dhclient eth1

or eth0 maybe if you are that way inclined :)

then run the

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

mine is still going as i type

then i guess run the

roger

will report back soon

PerePipirimosca
November 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Even same to me on a second computer I am upgrading ](*,)

no network at all #-o

HappyLellow
November 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
PerePipirimosca, thank you so much for you complete answer. Now I'm in the same point of rogkmyers, I can't do the apt-get update without network.

I must keep trying, I guess :lolflag:

rogkmyers
November 1st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Even same to me on a second computer I am upgrading ](*,)

no network at all #-o

did you try the:

sudo dhclient eth1

?

rogkmyers
November 1st, 2008, 01:19 PM
You have to laugh, or you'll cry.... I got through the apt-get dist-upgrade bit, now i have a log in screen, but my keyboard and mouse arent working....

qq for me

PerePipirimosca
November 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks roger, network works! =D>

About mouse and keyboard, give a try to "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

Cod
November 1st, 2008, 01:22 PM
I have the same problem as everybody else on this thread. My older, less important, laptop updated just fine. So I tried updating my work one and got the error.

I am now following the advice of PerePipirimosca (to use apt-get) and rogkmyers (on how to get a network connection). Thanks to the pair of you.

I ran apt-get update and found that over 400 packages needed to be installed. This makes sense as when I updated my older machine it downloaded hundreds of packages before clearing out old ones. When I updated the newer machine it downloaded only about 3 and spent hours clearing out old ones.

I'm still in the process of downloading the 400 packages but I will post again to let people know if it solves the problem (if anyone cares).

rogkmyers
November 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks roger, network works! =D>

About mouse and keyboard, give a try to "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

PerePipirimosca - I rebooted! that fixed the problem.

So I can currently log in --- but I am still on an old kernel - I'm further along than I was, but I'm still behind where I was before I upgraded....

so just to recap for those of you who came straight to this end of the thread.

1. ctrl alt F1 - to get to a login
2. sudo dhclient eth1 ---> to get an IP address
3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

lost keyboard and mouse on login screen, rebooted, got back k/board and mouse, logged in to a system full of error reports!!!!

hope someone out there is having more luck than me.

Thanks for all the help so far guys - go team!!!

Roger

Temis
November 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Same problem here. My PC hangs on "starting bluetooth".
Tried sudo update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. Problem persists.

HappyLellow
November 1st, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi guys, finally it's works for me too :-).

I have other two problems until now:
- Firefox, OO, Amarok, k3b, etc. had disappears and I've must reinstall everything.
- I must get an IP by hand in every start.

banzairx7
November 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM
Im back up. Networking is hosed. I have to go into the terminal and start it using the dhclient command. I can't see anywhere to setup my wireless networking.

newbie1955
November 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM
I tried sudo dhclient eth1 as previously suggested.

It asked for my password, which I've entered.

I now have:

SIOCSFADDER: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device

I wish I'd not tried the upgrade - I have a laptop that is completely useless to me and it's only 4 weeks old. Feel like trashing it :mad:

Declanthedork
November 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
How can I get into this directory? I'm kinda a newbie with Ubuntu Linux

CrazyMonkey77
November 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
I tried sudo dhclient eth1 as previously suggested.

It asked for my password, which I've entered.

I now have:

SIOCSFADDER: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device

I wish I'd not tried the upgrade - I have a laptop that is completely useless to me and it's only 4 weeks old. Feel like trashing it :mad:

have you tried just "sudo dhclient"? (without specifying an interface)

newbie1955
November 1st, 2008, 04:24 PM
have you tried just "sudo dhclient"? (without specifying an interface)

Wow, thank you - something is happening at last! :)

newbie1955
November 1st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone - I've managed to get as far as my desktop now.

Have lost firefox and on trying to add it back get a dialogue box E:dpkg was interrupted. you must manually run 'dpkg--configure-a' to correct the problem. E:_cache->open()failed. please report.

How do I run that command? Total novice!!!

CrazyMonkey77
November 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone - I've managed to get as far as my desktop now.

Have lost firefox and on trying to add it back get a dialogue box E:dpkg was interrupted. you must manually run 'dpkg--configure-a' to correct the problem. E:_cache->open()failed. please report.

How do I run that command? Total novice!!!

Go to applications>accessories>terminal and type "sudo dpkg --configure -a"

I'm still trying to salvage my install at the moment :(. Once you're able to install stuff from "Add/remove applications" install "Network Manager" which should fix your network once and for all...

ajacx
November 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have a dsl connection and I'm used to connecting to the internet using pon dsl-provider. I've tried using pppoeconf to set this up but it says that that command is not found. I typed dhclient and it setup eth0 but I still can't connect to my DSL connection. I'm an absolute beginner, can someone please tell me how to do this?

CrazyMonkey77
November 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have a dsl connection and I'm used to connecting to the internet using pon dsl-provider. I've tried using pppoeconf to set this up but it says that that command is not found. I typed dhclient and it setup eth0 but I still can't connect to my DSL connection. I'm an absolute beginner, can someone please tell me how to do this?

Hmmm.. this thread is getting a bit fragmented now:( I'm not sure what you'd need to do to fix this. I'd guess what you'd probably need to do is install pppoeconf, by doing the following

Go to applications>accessories>terminal and type "sudo apt-get install pppoeconf" of course you'd need a working internet connection to do this. If you haven't got one then maybe you could find the relevant packages on an ubuntu CD.

Temis
November 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 but the restart stalled. Restarted in safe mode and reboot stalled at the line "starting bluetooth".
Any hint appreciated. If this a wrong thread I will start a new one. Thank you.

Cod
November 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM
Following up a post I mind a couple of pages ago.

I have now managed to apt-get update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade and can at last get into Gnome desktop.

However, as noted by HappyLellow, I have no Firefox, Rhythmbox etc. Not even Network Manager. I'm also having to manually set a network connection each time I log in with dhclient. I can of course install all of this software (weirdly, Firefox still has my bookmarks) but I don't really understand why I have to do this. Isn't there some way I can compare what is on my system, and what should come with Ubunutu by default, and then install the differences?

Also, and most annoyingly, I have no sound.

At least I have a system that I can able to use, so I have made progress. But I find it frustrating that this time yesterday I had a fully functioning set up and now I do not.

ADDITION:
I don't even have Latex installed. I seem to have only a bare bones installation. Rather than install everything by hand I might just move my home folder onto a separate partition and do a complete reinstall.

Temis
November 1st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 but the restart stalled. Restarted in safe mode and reboot stalled at the line "starting bluetooth".

Checking Google it seems that the "starting bluetooth" is a bug.
So have to wait till it's fixed. Strange thing though I do not have bluetooth on my PC.

happytechie
November 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm in the same boat here and having to use my wife's laptop (vista ugh). I'm using a wireless connection (or not using as the case seems to be) that has a passcode and the sudo dhclient command results in:

NO DHPOFFER RECIEVED

I'm guessing that it's not finding or connecting to my network? Any advice or would this be better in another thread?

cheers, Paul

CrazyMonkey77
November 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
I'm in the same boat here and having to use my wife's laptop (vista ugh). I'm using a wireless connection (or not using as the case seems to be) that has a passcode and the sudo dhclient command results in:

NO DHPOFFER RECIEVED

I'm guessing that it's not finding or connecting to my network? Any advice or would this be better in another thread?

cheers, Paul

I doubt that the wireless drivers are installed so it's looking at your onboard NIC (which probably isn't connected). I'd try it plugged directly into your router via an ethernet cable and try again.

It's been a real chore upgrading this, though I've managed to fix everything bar the sound so far.

happytechie
November 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks CrazyMonkey I'll try that now...

CrazyMonkey77
November 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks CrazyMonkey I'll try that now...

No worries, I thought I'd better add that if that works. you should go to "Add/remove applications" and install network manager. This should fix your dhcp problem once and for all. Plus you should be able to configure your wireless connection through here provided the drivers are installed ok.

seoras
November 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM
I have upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 through a network upgrade. Everything seems to work OK but on reboot it fails with the last line reading

As it happes I did the upgrade before I have to finish my year financials thats all on this machine, so help would be appreciated.

Thanks
p.n

I had this problem and finally managed to get back to the Gnome Desktop by using:
Ctrl Alt F1 to get to a logon terminal screen
sudo dhclient eth0 (to get network access)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist upgrade

Unfortunately it would appear that the network upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 has removed most of my default packages including Open Office, Firefox, Thunderbird, Network Manager, etc. etc. I also lost all CompizFusion eye candy. I proceeded to reinstall all my missing packages and finally tried to get my CompizFusion cube back. I have an ATI Radeon X600 video card so I installed the xorg-driver-fglrx and rebooted. DAMN !! could not get the Gnome desktop again and was left hanging at a blank terminal screen. Removed xorg-driver-fglrx and rebooted. At least I'm back to the desktop now.

This has been the most catastrophic upgrade I have ever encountered and I have been using Ubuntu since 5.04. I am going to do a clean install of 8.04 and will not go near 8.10 again as it appears to have a VERY serious flaw look at the poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963853) Admittedly, many who have had a trouble free upgrade will not come to the forum to vote but a lot of people are having trouble with this upgrade.

eggert
November 1st, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have an ATI Radeon X600 video card so I installed the xorg-driver-fglrx and rebooted. DAMN !! could not get the Gnome desktop again and was left hanging at a blank terminal screen. Removed xorg-driver-fglrx and rebooted. At least I'm back to the desktop now.

As noted in the release notes http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810 ATI Radeon X600 cards are not supported by 8.10 because the driver is incompatible with X server. So you probably should steer clear of it, at least for now.

newbie1955
November 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
It has taken me all day, but FINALLY, I have got desktop and have reinstalled firefox, pidgin, network manager, and evolution. Wireless is also working. It remains to be seen what else is missing.

My first experience of an Ubuntu upgrade is NOT a happy one but at least I'm up & running again.

Thank you to all the contributors of this thread who helped.

seoras
November 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM
As noted in the release notes http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810 ATI Radeon X600 cards are not supported by 8.10 because the driver is incompatible with X server. So you probably should steer clear of it, at least for now.

Cheers, thanks for the info.
I generally regard upgrades as a move forward and when everything works so well in one version (8.04.1) you naturally expect things to be at least the same if not better in an upgraded version, not worse:mad:. I have decided to keep clear of 8.10 altogether as the video problem is just one of many. The main gripe I have is that the upgrade removed over 900 packages including most of the ones normally installed by Ubuntu having told me they were marked as obsolete? I do not think the ATI card bug could have caused this sort of mayhem and believe there is a serious flaw in the network upgrade procedure.

Seoras

happytechie
November 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
I gave up and did a fresh install anyway, I needed to get rid of the rubbish that xen had added when I failed to get it working. Thanks for the advice all. wireless network manager seems better with intrepid than it was with hardy

rogkmyers
November 2nd, 2008, 12:22 AM
I gave up and did a fresh install anyway, I needed to get rid of the rubbish that xen had added when I failed to get it working. Thanks for the advice all. wireless network manager seems better with intrepid than it was with hardy

Glad something works better :)

I'm just about to run a fresh install too, after having wasted 1200MB of downloads getting the update files and it all failing im rather disappointed.

Roger

SycloneMedia
November 2nd, 2008, 01:41 AM
Same problem here, no screens, startx doesn't work, etc.

I think that the problem might be with the 'delete obsolete packages' section of the upgrade. It took an age to populate, and I noticed that it had selected a large number of packages to uninstall (400+). I was watching it as it worked before finally rebooting, and it deleted firefox, Ooo, Evolution... everything I think :shock:

Silly me - I should have elected to keep the old stuff, but I just assumed that the upgrade knew what it was doing...

Yup... I think that was the problem. It might have deleted lots of other important packages thinking that every damn thing was obsolete. I thought twice too, and I also figured that it knew what it was doing; that maybe it would get brand new packages of the ones it was deleting. Very, VERY dissapointing that the upgrade would mess up something like that. :( A million thumbs down... BOOOOO.....

rogkmyers
November 2nd, 2008, 02:30 AM
It just gets worse - I did a full install of Intrepid and managed to recover my data. BUT when I installed the latest NVIDIA Driver it all wen to s*it. I wish I hadn't suffered from update fever and left my 8.04 system running. It was so perfect.

HappyLellow
November 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Finally I've decided upon do a back up and reinstall 8.04 cause in addition of all yesterday I discovered that I have no sound...

CrazyMonkey77
November 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Finally I've decided upon do a back up and reinstall 8.04 cause in addition of all yesterday I discovered that I have no sound...

Yes, this happened to me also.. it took me ages to try and figure out what was wrong. Incredibly, after installing the gui alsa mixer, I noticed that although the master volume was set to full volume, the main speaker was muted by default!! I adjusted this and all was well..

I'm all done now.. and glad I wont have to perform another upgrade for a while :)

Temis
November 2nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
As mentioned before my PC was stalling on boot up at line "starting bluetooth". Found solution:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/262927

Have just to wait till bug is fixed so I can reconnect wintv-pvr USB2,
which did not work on Ubuntu 8.04 anyway.

Hope this info helpful.

wavesailor
November 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM

I don't have an ATI card. It's an IBM T@@ laptop (S3 Video card) and I have exactly the same problem - stops at running local boot scripts.

Anyone from the Ubuntu crowd figured out what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks,

jj

banzairx7
November 4th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I don't have an ATI card. It's an IBM T@@ laptop (S3 Video card) and I have exactly the same problem - stops at running local boot scripts.

Anyone from the Ubuntu crowd figured out what the problem is and how to fix it?

Thanks,

jj

Stolen from a few pages back-

Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a logon terminal screen
sudo dhclient eth0 (to get network access, try eth1 if eth0 doesn't work)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You will need to go into the package manager and reinstall firefox, open office etc. Wireless won't work until you've restarted a few times, why I have no idea. For some reason the first time you shutdown it will take 5 minutes +. Let this finish or the wireless will not work. Flash and Java need to be reinstalled also.

AFAIK the whole reason for this is the upgrade removing unused files at the end of the upgrade. If you had left the files upgrade goes fine.

PLIACHAS PASCHALIS
November 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I had the same problem and eventually i believe the best help is the forums

Moonshiner
November 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Oh, thank you all guys who helped with the solution. You saved me a lot of time and nerves! Looks like almost everything works, finally, with exception for audio which locks my PC; this pulseaudio **** happened again, obviously...

BTW, I have Matrox video card, so the cards are definitely not the issue.

anyusername
November 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I had exactly the same problem:

and no Gnome login screen

Tried:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

which did get me back into Gnome but there were that many things missing that it was pretty much unusable. Some of the obvious things missing, like Firefox, Evolution etc etc could be reinsalled but the upgrade deleted so many things it would be nearly impossible for me to identify them all.

I resorted to doing a clean install of 8.10 from a live CD. Fortunately the system had a 'spare' hard drive so I installed onto that, allowing me to later access my Home folder of the broken upgrade.

I have re-installed all the applications that I use and after many hours I now have a usuable system again but to be honest this was a very bad experience for me. I'm new to Linux and wasn't expecting what I believed to be an automated upgrade to cause so much of a problem. This experience has certainly put me off upgrading again in the future!!

irish66
November 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
apologies for doing this here, but can someone tell me how to start a new thread.
M

irish66
November 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
thanks to another user, i got it solved
M

gganitis
November 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

You will need to go into the package manager and reinstall firefox, open office etc. Wireless won't work until you've restarted a few times, why I have no idea. For some reason the first time you shutdown it will take 5 minutes +. Let this finish or the wireless will not work. Flash and Java need to be reinstalled also.

AFAIK the whole reason for this is the upgrade removing unused files at the end of the upgrade. If you had left the files upgrade goes fine.

Everything was fine until running the "sudo apt-get upgrade", but when I run "sudo apt-get dist upgrade" I take back:
"E: Invalid operation dist"

What does "dist" mean? I tried to reboot and to log on again, but stuck again in the "rc.local"...

Can anyone help me?

Thank you all
Giannis

wavesailor
November 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
There is a typo. You need to type "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Everything was fine until running the "sudo apt-get upgrade", but when I run "sudo apt-get dist upgrade" I take back:
"E: Invalid operation dist"

What does "dist" mean? I tried to reboot and to log on again, but stuck again in the "rc.local"...

Can anyone help me?

Thank you all
Giannis

wavesailor
November 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I'm so frustrated as upset that I decide to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. 8.04 was working just fine. I ended up having a whole lot more problems. I did as you mentioned but ran into other problems. The package "hotkey-setup" failed. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a IBM T22 laptop that was running 8.04 fine.
I found a link that said I should update to the Linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic. That turned out to be problematic as one of the "files/packages" that were "unused" and removed was grub. So I did an apt-get install grub.
Now my problem is that I cannot get Gnome(X) to come up. I looked in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and everything seems ok.

Any ideas?

NOTE for Ubuntu Install Dev's: The update process from 8.04 to 8.10 is full of bugs and problems.

lemming465
November 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
"dist upgrade" was a typo; the original poster meant to suggest "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" with a hyphen. It tones down sanity checks the regular "upgrade" does to allow more complex scenarios. However, the preferred Ubuntu mechanism for distribution upgrades is actually "sudo update-manager -d".