PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kde 3 in 8.10?

mikerobinson
October 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I want to upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10, but I"m a bit worried about whether kde 3 is still going to work. As far as I'm concerned, kde 4 is still beta and I absolutely loathe it. One thing I like about kde is being able to customize everything and kde 4 is less customizable than Windows 95. Has anyone upgraded their Kubuntu yet to let me know whether or not kde 3 still works?

Kevbert
October 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM
KDE3.5/4.0 was in the old versions of Intrepid. I think you'll find it's now KDE4.1 which is much better.

mikerobinson
October 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I already had KDE 4.1.2 installed and I did not like it at all. If the KDE 4.1.2 that is in Kubuntu 8.10 is any better, I'll switch over, but I really have my doubts it is going to be ready for full-time use until about version KDE 4.3. I'm doing the upgrade and I hope it doesn't delete my KDE 3 on me...

dentaku65
October 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I did it :-)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=963695

AlanR8
October 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I shared your view Mike. I have 8.04 on this Sony laptop running KDE 4.1.* and 3.5.*.

That said, I've not booted into 3.* for about three weeks now! KDE4 is a work in progress and is not as customisable as 3.*, neither does it have, (IMHO), as much functionality just yet. However, despite all that I find the system very usable and stable.

I have the RC version of KUBUNTU Intrepid on my "play machine", an EeePC, and it works well although I did have some issues getting the wireless up and running and I can't see how to share a folder graphically as the button doesn't seem to work! I'll be downloading the full version this weekend and will re-install to see if this bug has been fixed.

I'll probably do a fresh install on the Sony as well.

mikerobinson
October 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I did it :-)

Thanks for the link. I read that the multimedia keys should be working now in KDE 4, but the only one that half works for me is the "Play/Pause" button on my keyboard, which instead of doing what it is supposed to, it restarts the song... When I get time I'm going to either try to install KDE 3 again or just go back to hardy.

mikerobinson
October 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the link. I read that the multimedia keys should be working now in KDE 4, but the only one that half works for me is the "Play/Pause" button on my keyboard, which instead of doing what it is supposed to, it restarts the song... When I get time I'm going to either try to install KDE 3 again or just go back to hardy.

I just realized that these have to be configured manually in Amarok, but they do work now, except the "Play/Pause" button which doesn't want to listen when I try to configure it.

GreatBunzinni
October 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM
KDE3.5/4.0 was in the old versions of Intrepid. I think you'll find it's now KDE4.1 which is much better.

I beg to differ. I just finished upgrading from Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 and I have to say that, although the entire upgrading experience was surprisingly flawless, KDE4 is making me question my decision to upgrade.

KDE4 is terribly heavy and sluggish. Simple tasks that on KDE3 were performed instantly, like resizing a window or clicking on a checkbox widget, take endless tenths of a second to update on KDE4. Flicker and lag is a constant throughout the UI even when taking advantage of the graphics hardware, which turns light applications like yakuake into heavy, unresponsive beasts. And meanwhile all the 2GB of RAM is packed while Kubuntu with KDE3 barely topped 1GB. I mean, I'm all for taking advantage of all available resources but what's the point of making less with more?

All of this wouldn't be a problem if Kubuntu 8.10 also offered KDE3 but it appears that it isn't the case, which is a terrible shame.

blackbelt_jones
October 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
I expected kde4 to be the default, but no option at all for kde3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE&feature=related

Sure, KDE4 is sluggish and annoying. The difference between a a kde3 applet and a kde4 widget is that the widget has to be constantly adjusted, resized, locked and unlocked In 99 per cent of the cases, in terms of function, no difference. But I don't really mind any of this. What makes kde 4 completely unacceptable is the way they have debased that most powerful and venerable of desktop applications, Konqueror. No support for storage media, no filter bar for sorting files. They want people to use it as a web browser not as a file manager. Never mind that this isn't how most people use it, they're planning your desktop experience for you now.

With all the dozens of distros, there must be one somewhere that isn't in such a hurry to shove this down our throats. I'm hoping it's debian-based.

slakkie
October 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM
I was not pleased when I saw that KDE4 was used and there were not KDE3 packages in the official repo's. Due to another bug I will re-install 8.04 and get my kde 3.x version back.

GreatBunzinni
October 31st, 2008, 03:43 PM
I've just noticed that Sauerbraten became unplayable since the upgrade to 8.10. While on KDE3 the game played nicely, now it drags on even in 800x600 windowed mode. Not a good experience.

blackbelt_jones
October 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
I can't stay with Ubuntu if this is allowed to stand. I was assured by one of the KDE developers that as long as people kept choosing KDE3, it would be supported, but what happens when we're not given the choice?

I can respect the great work of the developers with KDE4, but it's not finished, and KDE3 represents the highest expression of a paradigm that has worked for the last 25 years. In a limited way, it's pretty much perfect, which is why it makes sense to break the mold and develop in a new direction, but to force the users to follow is pretty much against what Linux is supposed to represent.

Bad decision. Really bad!:mad:

mikerobinson
October 31st, 2008, 10:31 PM
I've just noticed that Sauerbraten became unplayable since the upgrade to 8.10. While on KDE3 the game played nicely, now it drags on even in 800x600 windowed mode. Not a good experience.

For some reason everything that is openGL flickers for me now, even glxgears. I'm using the latest proprietary drivers from ATI. I'll have to say good-bye to screen savers for now too :confused:.

bennywhere
November 1st, 2008, 02:00 AM
So no option to use kde 3.5 totally makes me regret upgrading. I admit, gonme runs very smoothly and is very fast, but I want my kde back!

Anyone of you guys tried to compile it from source? I haven't had the time, but will give it a shot as soon as possible. However, if someone already tried it and it's for some reason not possible, I can save some time and reinstall 8.04.

Anyone?

dentaku65
November 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM
So no option to use kde 3.5 totally makes me regret upgrading. I admit, gonme runs very smoothly and is very fast, but I want my kde back!

Anyone of you guys tried to compile it from source? I haven't had the time, but will give it a shot as soon as possible. However, if someone already tried it and it's for some reason not possible, I can save some time and reinstall 8.04.

Anyone?

Benny, did you read all the posts here or use the search in the forum?

VladK
November 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM
AAA! The pain! Make it stop! Oh my God! My eyes! My poor eyes! The KDE4 makes me actually feel my painful death! Now I at least know how is it - to die slow and horrified! Jesus Christ, guys! For the love of God! What's hell is this minion is suppose to be? Linux Vista???

P.S. AAAAAAA!!!!!!!! :(