PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Seedathon - Will you contribute?

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
So as everyone knows Ubuntu 8.10 Final release has come out today.

But did you know that you can get increased download speeds and help everyone else increase theirs at the same time?

Use Transmission (Applications -> Internet -> Transmission) to download your flavor of Ubuntu 8.10 from here: http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

I think its the least we can do as a community of Ubuntu users for the hard work the developers/Canonical put in. I also think they should release it only on torrents for the first day in the future, but thats just me.

Either way, I pledge to seed 8.10 for a week, how long will you?

alienprdkt
October 30th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Is this an add on for 8.04, or will it be a clean install in which case I will need an easy way to upgrade my LAMP?

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
No Intrepid is the next version of Ubuntu, and it should upgrade your LAMP server automatically, but I recommend backing up your configuration if you decide to upgrade.

Edit: You can upgrade or clean isntall, thats up to you.

Izek
October 30th, 2008, 03:27 PM
"Data not fully available," I love that message. I also love how someone with ZERO PERCENT is able to upload to me.

*torrenting Xubuntu 8.10 AMD64.*

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM
"Data not fully available," I love that message. I also love how someone with ZERO PERCENT is able to upload to me.

*torrenting Xubuntu 8.10.*

Theres only 1 seeder for Xubuntu (Canonical Id expect) so thats sort of expected right now when there are 92 people trying to get at it and none have finished downloading it completely. But it will change shortly obviously. The regular flavor is kicking off 800kb/s+ quite fine right now.

Izek
October 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I can see that with my AMD64 torrent for Xubuntu. Oh well, guess it's just a waiting game then. I just hope Xubuntu will solve SOME of my CPU issues... though I doubt it when compiz is the culprit. *shrugs*

alienprdkt
October 30th, 2008, 03:52 PM
No Intrepid is the next version of Ubuntu, and it should upgrade your LAMP server automatically, but I recommend backing up your configuration if you decide to upgrade.

Edit: You can upgrade or clean isntall, thats up to you.

So will this be available as an update (automatically) ? If so would prolly be safer to wait till then?

EpidemikE
October 30th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Can anyone direct me towards backing up my config? I am currently running 8.04 x64 and would like to upgrade to 8.10 but I just .want to make sure everything runs properly first.

BTW I am seeding Ubuntu 8.10 x64, woo hoo!

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
It will be available as a distribution upgrade on your update manager if you are currently running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy but only if you have it enabled in your Software Sources.

System-> Administration -> Software Sources -> Updates Tab

If "Release upgrade" is set to "normal releases" then it should show up when its available.

meganox
October 30th, 2008, 04:01 PM
So will this be available as an update (automatically) ? If so would prolly be safer to wait till then?

It's available as an upgrade right now, but it is not a Long Term Support release like 8.04. This means it will only be supported for 6 months. 8.04 will be supported for 3 years on the Desktop and 5 years on the Server. If you want a stable server version with support you should stick with 8.04. If your LAMP servers work fine then there's no need to upgrade, the software that makes up 8.04 will continue to recieve updates for the rest of its support cycle.

Edit: to upgrade open System -> Admin -> Software sources and on the Updates tab select "Show new distribution releases -> Normal" (default is "LTS only")

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Can anyone direct me towards backing up my config? I am currently running 8.04 x64 and would like to upgrade to 8.10 but I just .want to make sure everything runs properly first.

BTW I am seeding Ubuntu 8.10 x64, woo hoo!

Typically the only thing most users will need to back up is the home folder.

Keeping in mind also that it is sometimes recommended that you not keep some of the settings folders in your home foler (the folders whose names start with a period) because they may sometimes cause conflicts with new versions of applications, however your mileage/luck may vary and really depends on the application set you commonly use.

Do you run any services on your computer (web server, ftp etc)? You will also want to backup those if you do.

scouser73
October 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM
You didn't put a selection in for people that already have the beta or release candidate installed. But the answer is no for me.

Enigmatic
October 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Seeding away with my dedicated server, with 150GB uploaded thus far. I have 1500GB that I can use through the end of tomorrow when the bandwidth resets.

If anyone wants a direct link (should the other mirrors be slow), I'm also hosting it at www.gregschneider.net/ubuntu

Help me use up my bw :D

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
You didn't put a selection in for people that already have the beta or release candidate installed. But the answer is no for me.

You can basically consider it the final release if you have all the updates... I have been and still am running Ibex since I installed Alpha 6.

scouser73
October 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM
You can basically consider it the final release if you have all the updates... I have been and still am running Ibex since I installed Alpha 6.

Just reading what I posted, I didn't intend for that to sound snotty. Ibex is a great release for me personally.

lanr01
October 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Ok, I upgraded to 8.10 and all I can say is YES!! A few little glitches I was having with 8.04 are all gone now.. Things are popping faster and I like the looks of things better....Kudos.....

I would be willing to help out by seeding once I figure out how...

ju2wheels
October 30th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Ok, I upgraded to 8.10 and all I can say is YES!! A few little glitches I was having with 8.04 are all gone now.. Things are popping faster and I like the looks of things better....Kudos.....

I would be willing to help out by seeding once I figure out how...

Once your torrent download finishes using Transmission, simply leave Transmission open and it will begin seeding back to other people.

lanr01
October 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would, but I was having trouble and didn't use a torrent. I use azureus. I will just download the torrent and let it run...

side note, 8.10 fixed the issues I was having so everything is working right now ;-)

Yellow Pasque
October 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Good idea. I remember the havoc that the Hardy release caused. I'll try and remember to seed Ubuntu-amd64 for a while.

shaggy999
October 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I started up the torrents as soon as 8.10 went live. I'm not at home right now, which is where the torrents are running, but I'm sure they're done by now and are uploading to others. Weeee!!

teddks
October 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I've been seeding 8.04-amd64-alternate since it came out, and I expect to do the same for 8.10. I'll also seed the live CD until I decide I need the space.

I'll also be inserting both into GNUnet. Just for the heck of it.

shaggy999
October 31st, 2008, 12:13 AM
Well crap. I came home and discovered that the partition I had set the files to download to was full. :( I'm only about 30% done downloading. poop!

alienprdkt
October 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM
I would, but I was having trouble and didn't use a torrent. I use azureus. I will just download the torrent and let it run...

side note, 8.10 fixed the issues I was having so everything is working right now ;-)

Me too, it finished along time ago, isn't seeding for some reason, have upload max set to 25k, but zero connections. Where you want me to seed to?

pAsM
October 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM
So as everyone knows Ubuntu 8.10 Final release has come out today.

But did you know that you can get increased download speeds and help everyone else increase theirs at the same time?

Use Transmission (Applications -> Internet -> Transmission) to download your flavor of Ubuntu 8.10 from here: http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

I think its the least we can do as a community of Ubuntu users for the hard work the developers/Canonical put in. I also think they should release it only on torrents for the first day in the future, but thats just me.

Either way, I pledge to seed 8.10 for a week, how long will you?
Ill Join and seed as well

Also I have posted an http:// download on my dedicated servers

http://Ubuntu8.pAsM-Mirrors.com

ju2wheels
October 31st, 2008, 12:45 AM
Me too, it finished along time ago, isn't seeding for some reason, have upload max set to 25k, but zero connections. Where you want me to seed to?

I honestly havent used Azureus since I was back on Windows so im not exactly sure. But see if there is an upload or seed option on the torrents you downloaded and set the tracker to torrent.ubuntu.com:6969 or torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/announce. Im not exactly sure which one will work but my Transmission client shows the tracker as torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/announce on the ones Im seeding.

hellion0
October 31st, 2008, 01:37 AM
Me too, it finished along time ago, isn't seeding for some reason, have upload max set to 25k, but zero connections. Where you want me to seed to?You need to make sure your ports are open. If they're not, you won't be able to seed.

Foster Grant
October 31st, 2008, 02:48 AM
It's available as an upgrade right now, but it is not a Long Term Support release like 8.04. This means it will only be supported for 6 months.

Not true. Per Canonical policy, non-LTS desktop editions of Ubuntu are supported for 18 months, which goes until April 2010.

armageddon08
October 31st, 2008, 02:55 AM
I've been seeding the i386 cd iso.......soon will be doing it for the dvd iso.