PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu with own target

maddis
October 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I need to install Ubuntu for multiple computers. I wouldn't want manually do the package selection for every computer so I was thinking how could I make my own target for Ubuntu. Now there is Desktop and Server version.

My version could be derived from Desktop version, but the list of packages that are installed by default need to be altered. Some other changes might be needed too, but that's later.

Is it documented anywhere how to make new target for Ubuntu and perhaps generate new installation media for it?

Zalbor
October 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I don't really know about that, but perhaps you could choose which ones to install and then make an "apt-get install" line including all of them, and run is as a script from each system?

maddis
October 31st, 2008, 06:12 AM
That would require me to install something first to those computers so that I would be able to run the script.

Also, later there are coming more computers, so I would make the package more maintainalable(is that a word?). Maybe small changes are needed etc.

Ng Oon-Ee
October 31st, 2008, 06:17 AM
I believe 8.10 has this feature about putting your Ubuntu install on a USB drive to be installed on another computer?

I was just glancing through the promotional material, of course, but I think it mentioned that you could install some packages which you want first and then put your install (with those packages) on a USB drive.

From then on, cloning the drive may help. This, of course, requires that you have quite a lot of USB drives :)

Partyboi2
October 31st, 2008, 06:20 AM
maybe remasterys (http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com/) might be useful.

maddis
October 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Remasterys seems good. I'll give it a try. Maybe later I'll check that Ubuntu 8.10 too.