PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Instal: fatal error while setting grub

smauleon
October 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hi,

I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 in 20 Windows PCs in my school, in dual-boot mode. I use the livecd for that.

It worked in about half the cases. The rest give me a fatal error near the end, while installing grub. What puzzles me is that I can't find a pattern.

Some are W2000, others XP. There are three different HW configurations, but in all cases I succeeded with some units and failed with the rest. In 2 of the HP all went OK, and the other 3 give me the error. In some of them I tried several times and the error repeats (well, that's a pattern, I guess :-) )

I tried to install Vector Linux light in one of the rebels and it worked. But i prefer Ubuntu :-)

All PCs have the C: partition frozen with DeepFreeze, but I thaw them, uninstall DeepFreeze and reboot in Windows, then reboot again with the Ubuntu CD. So I don't think DeepFreeze is the cause.

Perhaps a fixmbr would help? I'm puzzled.

smauleon

garyedwardjohnston
October 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
In my case it was the cd itself.

I cleaned the cd with glass cleaner and a paper towel and it worked.

Seems like a strange fix but it worked for me.

caljohnsmith
October 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
If the installer fails at about 94% with a "grub-install" error, that is unfortunately a known bug, but here is a workaround:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=893156

Let me know if that works for you. :)

smauleon
November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Thank you for your answers.

Gary, I'm sure the cause was not a dirty cd. The problem appears always in the same computers, even with different CDs.

Cal, I'll try your solution next tuesday and I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

smauleon

smauleon
November 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Well, it worked!

Using ext2 instead of ext3 fixes the problem. I haven't tried to convert the format after installing, I'm just introducing Linux to my pupils after all.

Thanks again Cal,

smauleon