PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is KDE losing its desktop share against GNome?

TusharG
October 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I'm using linux for past 10 years and I was using KDE for many years. The last time I used KDE full time was on Fedora core 5. Ever since I have used Ubuntu with GNome I've not switched back to KDE. I've tried many times to go back to KDE because I always used to like KDE more than GNome. However in recent years GNome has made really good improvements and I've many failure attempts to switch back to KDE. My question is are there many users similar to me how were earlier KDE users and are now using GNOME full time? KDE 4 is supposed to be good but it is still way behind in features and stability while KDE 3 seems out dated. Ofcousre full credit to GNOME as well after switching from KDE to GNOME i have not regretted of my choice. Can people share their experience on the same topic?

garyedwardjohnston
October 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
IMHO Kubuntu is not a priority for Canocial and it shows.

Also KDE's switch from 3.x to 4.x has caused problems thus turning people away from KDE.

Once KDE 4.x becomes solid (I've read that 4.2 is supposed to be that release) KDE will resume its popularity.

TusharG
November 3rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
Did they hurry to much to release KDE 4 before its completely ready to replace 3.5? Loosing lot of users is not a good idea.