PDA

View Full Version : It`s time to install Hardy

nothingspecial
October 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
On my laptop.

I have hardy installed on my pc (media server) and my aspire one (very new), but my laptop which I use for general computerising works perfectly with Gutsy.
I installed Hardy on it when it was released but had so many problems I reverted to Gutsy. So my thinking is - by the time time they release a new one, the old one works perfectly. Thats my plan. When 9.04 comes out I`ll install Intrepid.

Anyone else think the same?

Hire
October 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM
No because I haven't problem with each release of Ubuntu and instead I find Intrepid stable and very responsive.

nothingspecial
October 30th, 2008, 12:30 PM
No because I haven't problem with each release of Ubuntu and instead I find Intrepid stable and very responsive.

That`s cool but I have a wife and she wants our computer to "just work". I can tweak and fix the pc to my hearts content (I love to tweak). But I'm worried something will break on the laptop.
You can`t imagine the **** I got when I installed Hardy on it and she couldn't do what she wanted straight away.

Muflon
October 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I kind of agree with you. You get a lot of updates to any new release in the first few weeks after it becomes generally available. This is when the real testing gets done on a wide range of hardware that didn't get picked up in the Alpha and Beta stages. I will be waiting about a month or until the general flow of updates reduces from a torrent to a trickle.

The only down side is that you miss out on having the ‘latest and greatest’ and that hurts :-(

Muflon

Keyper7
October 30th, 2008, 01:04 PM
From past experiences, both as an user and bug subscriber, I'd say that waiting six months is way too much.

Also, this approach of yours can backfire. Unlike a new version of Windows or Mac OSX, new Ubuntu releases are not composed of major rewrites, structural changes of core sections and lots of new features. Instead, they are usually small, incremental upgrades of all packages Ubuntu is composed of and usually such upgrades include bugfixes that did not qualify for a SRU in the previous version yet, or might never will.

So it might be that someday you'll start using a new hardware or software you didn't use before and find out you're stuck with a bug that's already been fixed in the current Ubuntu version you refuse to use.

The expression "you mileage may vary" does not apply only to different users. It also applies to different Ubuntu versions. Just because you had to wait a certain time for a stable Hardy, doesn't mean you have to wait a certain time for a stable Intrepid.

eternalnewbee
October 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I kind of agree with you. You get a lot of updates to any new release in the first few weeks after it becomes generally available. This is when the real testing gets done on a wide range of hardware that didn't get picked up in the Alpha and Beta stages. I will be waiting about a month or until the general flow of updates reduces from a torrent to a trickle.

The only down side is that you miss out on having the ‘latest and greatest’ and that hurts

Especially because Intrepid looks and feels... well let's say Advanced.And this is only my first-and-a-half impression.

That`s cool but I have a wife and she wants our computer to "just work". I can tweak and fix the pc to my hearts content (I love to tweak). But I'm worried something will break on the laptop.
You can`t imagine the **** I got when I installed Hardy on it and she couldn't do what she wanted straight away.
I can relate to that. Just install Intrepid on one of your other two computers and... Enjoy.

nothingspecial
October 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I can relate to that. Just install Intrepid on one of your other two computers and... Enjoy.

Oh I will. Don`t get me wrong, I love Ubuntu. It`s the only OS I`ve ever used (at home).

MaxIBoy
October 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I haven't used Intrepid on my computer, but a friend of mine has run into a bit of a problem (with the release candidate, too.) The 2.6.27 kernel has drivers for his wifi card, but these drivers are unstable as hell and frequently cause kernel panics and lockups. I had to revert his computer to the 2.6.25 kernel (2.6.24 didn't seem to be in the repos for Intrepid.) This temporarily disabled his wifi card. I told him to go home, use his ethernet port, and run "sudo apt-get update --fix missing." I told him that if that didn't work, he should just wipe it and use Hardy until Intrepid becomes more stable.

I NEVER had hardware problems with Hardy. And people who did have them, have largely seen these problems fixed. After 6 months, it's rock solid, and I'd recommend installing Hardy even after the release of Intrepid, at least for a couple more months.

That being said, if you had problems before, maybe you should dual-boot hardy and gutsy on that laptop until you know that Hardy isn't going to be a problem child.

aeiah
October 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM
i think hardy got updated during the release cycle. the one you get now is 8.04.1. its wise not to install something straight away and perhaps see if any problems occur for others as there may be a .1 release around the corner. hardy is LTS too so its a wise one to stick with if you dont want any new features that 8.10 has that arent available in 8.04.1

Vadi
October 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Nope, not agreeing, 8.04 and 8.10 worked great.

Then again, I bought my laptop that came with a "powered by ubuntu linux" sticker and not "designed for windows", unlike many people do.