PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu vs. Ubuntu with xubuntu-desktop

Kishar
October 30th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

I've just bought a new laptop that I'm going to be putting Ubuntu on today.

I like the look of xfce as a desktop environment, so I was thinking of installing Xubuntu directly. However, a few people I've talked to have suggested that instead of doing that, I just install the xubuntu-desktop package within Ubuntu and choose the session type when I log in.

I'm aware that Xubuntu comes with different default software, but that I can download gnome packages anyway. If I install xubuntu-desktop I know I get all the gnome default stuff as well, but I can get rid of some or all of that.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either method? I'm looking at xfce for aesthetics and minimalism, not because my machine has limited resources, so (a small amount of) redundancy won't bother me overly. If I'll have a harder time configuring or getting support one way, however, that would influence me.

Licurgo
October 31st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Kishar:
I've been analyzing if it is best to install xubuntu or install Ubuntu and then install the xfce-desktop package.
I've worked with ubuntu I like it but I want something minimalist and faster.
If I encounter something useful I'm gonna tell you

Koaguin
October 31st, 2008, 01:43 AM
If you're not going to use GNOME, installing xubuntu only might be better. If you use both, then install xubuntu-desktop on ubuntu

OrangeCrate
October 31st, 2008, 01:49 AM
I've added the Xubuntu desktop to Feisty, Gutsy, Hardy and now Intrepid, by using these instructions. Easy as pie...

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

Personally, I set the Xfce desktop as default, I like it's interface, but it is nice to have the full Gnome Ubuntu install as an option.

ugm6hr
November 2nd, 2008, 01:05 AM
You choose!

If you don't want Gnome - I'd suggest Xubuntu.

Remember that any installed apps / desktop managers will be updated unnecessarily (and use bandwidth) if you don't use them. All the apps will also be added to your menus automatically (which may be unnecessary clutter requiring removal).

Another option is to just add xfce4 to Ubuntu (which will then not add the "lighter" apps of Xubuntu, but maintain all the Gnome stuff).

Otherwise - consider a minimal installation, and build from there.

OrangeCrate
November 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM
You choose!

If you don't want Gnome - I'd suggest Xubuntu.

Remember that any installed apps / desktop managers will be updated unnecessarily (and use bandwidth) if you don't use them. All the apps will also be added to your menus automatically (which may be unnecessary clutter requiring removal).

Another option is to just add xfce4 to Ubuntu (which will then not add the "lighter" apps of Xubuntu, but maintain all the Gnome stuff).

Otherwise - consider a minimal installation, and build from there.

Now, this is something I simply did not know.

As a test, I just deleted the Xubuntu desktop, and installed Xfce4 from Synaptic. That's pretty cool.

Thank you kindly for the tip!

:)