PDA

View Full Version : Something AWESOME in Firefox

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yes people are probably going to laugh because I never knew this before.

But you can hit "/" and Firefox will search through and find the first occurrence of what you type. You can tab through them and if something is a link you can hit enter to follow the link. I never knew that! I thought there was only Ctrl-F

Edit: Now someone just needs to tell me how to use j and k to move up and down and I will have web surfing perfection.

hellion0
October 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Nice. Good to know when I'm delving through text-only strategy guides.

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks. I never knew this and this works like a charm in my Opera too.

jespdj
October 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
See: Firefox keyboard shortcuts (http://support.mozilla.com/nl/kb/Keyboard+shortcuts)

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks jespdj, the find as you type links only looks really useful too (').

I found the vimperator plugin, but I don't really want to turn my whole browser into vim, only the j and k keys for scrolling. Anyone know the best way to do this?

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I got my j and k keys working. Had to use the Mouseless Browsing plugin to set the shortcuts. There were tutorials for setting keyboard shortcuts but they all talked about a /res/builtin directory and a chrome/comm.jar file, neither of which seem to be present. This works ok but holding the keys down doesn't have any effect, I have to press the key multiple times.

Laibcoms
October 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm surprised few people are aware of it. I actually hate it, it gets stuck, I have to press CTRL+F then ESC to get it removed.

mr.propre
October 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
thanks. I never knew this and this works like a charm in my opera too.

+1 :ks

brunovecchi
October 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
This also works in Evince. I was surprised that Evince has some cool vim-like shortcuts: "/" for searching, "n" for looping through the matches, space for scrolling down, and "j", "k", "h", "l" for moving around.

Firefox also has this shortcuts with the Vimperator plugin, it brings a lot of consistency.

Sand & Mercury
October 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
You can set it to search automatically whenever you start typing too, through preferences.

jpeddicord
October 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Also works if you click/focus the desktop in GNOME and hit / except it brings up an Open Folder dialog. Kinda the same? :D

ad_267
October 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks, I didn't know that one either.