PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP!! A problem cornered me for Hours..

Ioky
October 30th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I was playing piano in my room, and all the sudden a question hit my head. I am looking at my keyboard, I was like, Why this thing doesn't have Letters? I think my question really is, why computer keyboard DO have letters?

I don't get it? would someone help?

pp.
October 30th, 2008, 07:44 AM
You can buy computer keyboards which are not lettered.

The lettered ones are usually sold because manufacturers feel that scarcely anyone would buy an unlettered keyboard. Most people simply can not touch type.

Lettered keys on a piano would be rather ridiculous.

Saint Angeles
October 30th, 2008, 07:48 AM
theres only 7 letters and 12 notes in music, so it would be very redundant writing those on every key of a piano

chucky chuckaluck
October 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
a typing keyboard only exists for the purpose of typing figures, like letters. a piano can be played without any association with letters (there are thousands of examples of keyboard players who never learned to read music). in fact, a piano's association is with pitch, while notation is simply a visual convenience. so, letters in music is a secondary concern while letters in typing is a primary concern.

alwez_loner
October 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Why would you need a keyboard with out letter may i ask?

igknighted
October 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Easy, so when one comes back from the bars after drinking a little too much (and are unable to touch-type), you can't stare at the keyboard and drunk-post or email. Saves a lot of embarassment.

In reality, I think the reason would be that there is simply no need for labeled keys if you know how to type. You shouldn't be looking at the keys anyways, so why bother labeling?

namegame
October 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Why would you need a keyboard with out letter may i ask?

It can help you learn to touch-type.

chucky chuckaluck
October 30th, 2008, 08:23 AM
It can help you learn to touch-type.

wouldn't wearing a hairshirt do the same thing?

namegame
October 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
wouldn't wearing a hairshirt do the same thing?

I'm not sure. I never struggled with touch-typing, so I can't relate the difficult learning process that some people encounter.