PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing Ubuntu ?! / USB Hard Disk ?!

q8stanley
October 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Hello people .. after googling around with no satisfactory results .. I've decided to join the community and seek help here.

I have HP Laptop (pavilion ze4900) running XP with 40GB HD + 2GB RAM (upgraded from 256MB) + 1.5 GHz Centrino Processor.

I have bought 160GB external USB hard disk few days ago and installed ubuntu 8.04.1 on that.

My problem is:

I want to resize the partition of the ubuntu on the external USB hard disk as 160 GB is too much for this OS! .. I'd rather have 100GB as USB storage to use for windows XP + 60GB for ubuntu.

I tried to use GParted to do that on LiveCD but I could not do it.

It is OK for me to remove it completely and re-do the whole thing again, but how?! I need your help on that!

2nd thing I want to ask about is how could I do the partition on the USB hard disk from the first place? on the installation I only could do partition with the laptop's 40GB hard disk, and I could only use this USB hard disk entirely for ubuntu! (no options for partitioning it!)

your help is certainly appreciated!! thanks!

Phil112
October 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
How-To on Gparted:
http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

2nd bit:
Normally it gives you an option to only use a certain amount of the hard drive on the install, I think it's in the advanced options on the screen where it says it's going to use the whole drive.

q8stanley
October 31st, 2008, 03:19 AM
thanks. fixed :)