PDA

View Full Version : LaRoza: 1, Mouse 0

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I finally caught him!

He's been coming up from the basement I think, and I've seen him often, but I finally caught him tonight.

It was the most daring and cunning plan, and I won't wow you all with my 1337 mice catching skills.

It is cold out, and I figured he'd find a way in again, so, he's in a large box in the basement.

Hope my mother doesn't mind (she's not squeamish around mice).

If he's still there when I get up, I'll have to get a better home and food: http://pet-mice.com/

Darkade
October 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM
:lolflag: Mothers never like mice LOL

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Mothers never like mice LOL

Well, she obviously doesn't want him running around the house.

SuperSonic4
Was I the only one who thought it was a pc mouse?

FuturePilot
Is it compatible with Ubuntu?

smartboyathome
LaRoza: When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you had finally got a mouse to work, so that you could get rid of your keyboard-driven window managers. :p

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I finally caught him!

He's been coming up from the basement I think, and I've seen him often, but I finally caught him tonight.

It was the most daring and cunning plan, and I won't wow you all with my 1337 mice catching skills.

It is cold out, and I figured he'd find a way in again, so, he's in a large box in the basement.

If he's still there when I get up, I'll have to get a better home and food: http://pet-mice.com/
How did you know it's male or female?
Or should I start a thread - LaRoza's Mouse - Male or Female?

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Idk stick his tail into the pc and find out. :p Well at least LaRoza has a new pet and a new best friend. :p lol jk :p XD

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Was I the only one who thought it was a pc mouse?

You know, when I got him in the box, I was reminded of when I was bring a few computer things over to someone's house. I had a small box, with a mouse and a few disks in it for the person. A child (aged 6 I think) was there, and on impulse I held the box closed and ask if he wanted to see the mouse. He was excited and the other kids gathered around, and then I opened the box with some fanfare to show them the optical mouse.

Kids these days... I was trying to be mean, but they (all young kids) thought it was funny.

I slipped my Dell 910 into the box, and he'll give a review later.

Crafty Kisses
October 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
So when are you going to unbox this mouse?

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
How did you know it's male or female?
Or should I start a thread - LaRoza's Mouse - Male or Female?

I hope its male.

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM
So when are you going to unbox this mouse?

I'll take some.

zmjjmz
October 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I thought you had entirely removed all digital mice from your computer(s).

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I thought you had entirely removed all digital mice from your computer(s).

LaRoza did. Its analog mouse that was caught. :p

blithen
October 30th, 2008, 04:46 AM

HAHA! Exactly what I thought. I thought LaRoza had beaten a driver problem or something.

Crafty Kisses
October 30th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I'll take some.

I changed my post, when I first read it I was like, OK.

Bölvaður
October 30th, 2008, 04:47 AM
get a pet snake too and make them play together :KS

MaxIBoy
October 30th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Do NOT keep that mouse as a pet. It is very likely that the mouse has some kind of disease. Furthermore, wild mice bite. A LOT.

I've seen a friend go to the hospital because of this.

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 04:48 AM
get a pet snake too and make them play together :KS

..Yes and they eventually become one. Can you guess who will be the dominate?

Giant Speck
October 30th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Are you sure it's going to be safe keeping a wild mouse as a pet? You may want to have it checked out for diseases first.

Not trying to insult or anything. I'm just saying it would be a smart thing to do, just in case.

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Are you sure it's going to be safe keeping a wild mouse as a pet? You may want to have it checked out for diseases first.

Not trying to insult or anything. I'm just saying it would be a smart thing to do, just in case.

Yea. It might carry fleas, rabies, plagues, aids, stupidity, or The Michael Jackson disease.

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Well, I didn't plan on keeping him (just for a day, actually) but mice can climb and jump very well...

That box was three feet high, so no pics.

kerry_s
October 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
your lucky it was a mouse, we get huge rats. they make so much noise you know it's there, just knocking over all kinds of things, even my dogs would run and hide behind me. :(
if they get caught in the trap, they take it with them, you'll find it later all chewed up. shh...i can here them laughing...
:lolflag:

Giant Speck
October 30th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Well, I didn't plan on keeping him (just for a day, actually) but mice can climb and jump very well...

That box was three feet high, so no pics.

Ah, okay. I guess I somewhat misinterpreted what you said in your first post. But my advice still stands if you change your mind! :)

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Do NOT keep that mouse as a pet. It is very likely that the mouse has some kind of disease. Furthermore, wild mice bite. A LOT.

Yes, that is true. I just didn't want to stick him outside into the freezing temps right before bed. Also, I am borg. Mice don't bite me, I byte them.

I'd hardly call it "wild" seeing how it lived and ate in the same places I do ;)

No, it isn't going to be a pet, although it was very cute, and I planned on setting him out later.

FuturePilot
October 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Nice, can't wait to hear what he thinks :)

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ah, okay. I guess I somewhat misinterpreted what you said in your first post. But my advice still stands if you change your mind! :)

If I catch him again...

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Nice, can't wait to hear what he thinks :)

Turns out, he's been using 8.10 since Alpha and he made fun of me for using ancient software.

MasterNetra
October 30th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Turns out, he's been using 8.10 since Alpha and he made fun of me for using ancient software.

He is probably making fun of you for using something he can chew straight through to contain him too.

FuturePilot
October 30th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Did he crash at all? :p

zxscooby
October 30th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Mice and rats creep me out big time.
I would have used lethal means to eliminate it.
Once there was a rat in my garden shed, I was almost too freaked out to go inside and place poison for it.

frankleeee
October 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM
..Yes and they eventually become one. Can you guess who will be the dominate?

Don't wager.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3041502.html

LaRoza are you making fun of Xeb. ;)

I-75
October 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM
We used to go camping in NY State in the winter. A field mouse used to come by the campfire and we used to throw it scraps of bread. It would hang around for a few hours...It was brown and had a white underbelly...

pp.
October 30th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Wild mouse? Well roared, mouse!

rakris
October 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Is LaRoza Indian? I saw some hindi scripts on his/her DP :)

I-75
October 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Her

Giant Speck
October 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Her

Way to answer the question!

:lolflag:

rakris
October 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Her

I kinda knew that by seeing this topic. A guy cant create mice topics :D

billgoldberg
October 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I finally caught him!

We didn't use to catch the mouse in our garden ourself.

Our cat was happy to do that for us, she even showed us her trophies.

Now that I live in an apartment I don't have to deal with that anymore.

rakris
October 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
We didn't use to catch the mouse in our garden ourself.

Our cat was happy to do that for us, she even showed us her trophies.

Now that I live in an apartment I don't have to deal with that anymore.

COuld "he/she" be Another "Her"?:lolflag:

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM

She's American. She just enjoys learning Hindi.

rakris
October 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Okies. Thats cool.

alwez_loner
October 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hey LaRoza, have you given you pet a name yet? You should and make sure you don't get to attached to it...

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hey LaRoza, have you given you pet a name yet? You should and make sure you don't get to attached to it...

If she gives the mouse a name, wouldn't she be more attached?

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Hey, finally somebody who's hands (paws?) fit perfectly on those netbooks! Maybe he won't have any problems with the apostrophe key?!

My 3 year old has no qualms about picking up and playing with small animals... even if they aren't alive :P

We were ("we"?.. I don't think I get to lay claim on being involved) rehabilitating a chipmunk (in pretty sad shape) the cats brought home and every time my wife turned her back, my daughter was picking him up and petting him.

Heck, she had a "pet fly" in her music box. Darn thing got out once and answered my question on how she kept it for so long (with her constantly opening the lid to look at it); it only had one wing!

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
This reminds me of a time when my wife caught a mouse. We had one in our house once and she got the idea that she would catch it. She set out a line of cereal pieces on the counter that led to a container lying on its side. I couldn't believe it, but the thing actually followed the line of cereal into the container and she caught it.

Then she made me drive her out into the country to let the mouse loose in a field. I laughed and told her that the mouse wouldn't live past that night because a hawk or owl would have it for supper.

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
We used to go camping in NY State in the winter. A field mouse used to come by the campfire and we used to throw it scraps of bread. It would hang around for a few hours...It was brown and had a white underbelly...

OMG! :shock: This one had was brown and had a white underbelly. It must be the same mouse!

Well, I'm Irish, Basque, Native American ("Indian"), and some others. "American" is hardly descriptive ;) I know a lot of Indians here (your kind).

Its not a pet. It is in the basement somewhere (which is how I think he got into the house, the coal room).

Hey, finally somebody who's hands (paws?) fit perfectly on those netbooks! Maybe he won't have any problems with the apostrophe key?!

Actually, he doesn't like the FN key, as he can't reach the other keys to use it.

This reminds me of a time when my wife caught a mouse. We had one in our house once and she got the idea that she would catch it. She set out a line of cereal pieces on the counter that led to a container lying on its side. I couldn't believe it, but the thing actually followed the line of cereal into the container and she caught it.
I'll have to try that. I caught this one by chasing it into a box, I didn't believe it worked.

Then she made me drive her out into the country to let the mouse loose in a field. I laughed and told her that the mouse wouldn't live past that night because a hawk or owl would have it for supper.
Mice are more clever than you think ;)

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Well, I'm Irish, Basque, Native American ("Indian"), and some others. "American" is hardly descriptive ;) I know a lot of Indians here (your kind).

Hmm...I'll keep that in mind... :)

Seriously, I call anyone who lives in the US as a citizen as American, even a PIO in the States.(and no that's not Programming I/O)

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hmm...I'll keep that in mind... :)

Seriously, I call anyone who lives in the US as a citizen as American, even a PIO in the States.(and no that's not Programming I/O)

Thats ok. I tend to refer to Indians by their state, instead of just "Indian". So the Indians I know nearby are "Gujarati" and that is how I think of them.

The person asking if I was Indian may have meant it as a ethnicity, not a citizenship and I wanted to clear that up.

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thats ok. I tend to refer to Indians by their state, instead of just "Indian". So the Indians I know nearby are "Gujarati" and that is how I think of them.

The person asking if I was Indian may have meant it as a ethnicity, not a citizenship and I wanted to clear that up.

In India the case is different. The amount of diversity is gignatic. And here, there's lots of difference among people from state to state which I don't think is the case in the US. (ethnicity I know but they have same language after all)
Personally though I prefer to be known as Indian rather than Dilliwalla or Oriya.

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Its not a pet. It is in the basement somewhere (which is how I think he got into the house, the coal room).

Got any coal in your coal room? With the coming winter, a modified wood stove could burn coal instead! Or is it the other way, a stove made for coal could (modified) burn wood? One needs air underneath while the other doesn't or something like that.

My (late) Grandmother's house in Edwardsville (near Wilkes-Barre,PA) had a coal room, complete with coal! I was amazed how big the room was (and thus how much coal was in it) after it was cleaned up!

Thelasko
October 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Not a good idea to keep a wild mouse as a pet. They can carry diseases. I recommend cleaning out any coal in that coal room and then sealing up any cracks. The CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/prevent_rodents/seal_up.htm) is a good source of information about mice.

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
In India the case is different. The amount of diversity is gignatic. And here, there's lots of difference among people from state to state which I don't think is the case in the US. (ethnicity I know but they have same language after all)
Personally though I prefer to be known as Indian rather than Dilliwalla or Oriya.

In the US, there is little division like that. There are places that are mostly Chinese, or Amish, and they would be unique, but not like India.

I go by states to keep the languages in check. It helps to know what I can't under those Indians because they are speaking a different language than Hindi.

I prefer to be called a Pennsylvanian/Texan than American ;)

Got any coal in your coal room? With the coming winter, a modified wood stove could burn coal instead! Or is it the other way, a stove made for coal could (modified) burn wood? One needs air underneath while the other doesn't or something like that.

No coal worth writing home about. The floor is covered in it, but that is it. Our basement is unique. We live on a hill so the basement is half underground and half a story above ground. It has 5 rooms, half of it (above ground) is quite nice, like a large room. The other half is darker, stone floor, and has the furnace (gas) and water heater in it. Two small rooms with door in that room lead to the oil tank room, and the coal room. (Yes, this house is old. Originally used coal, we got it with oil, and we recently switched to gas).

Not a good idea to keep a wild mouse as a pet. They can carry diseases. I recommend cleaning out any coal in that coal room and then sealing up any cracks. The CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/rodents/prevent_rodents/seal_up.htm) is a good source of information about mice.

Any animal can carry diseases, mice are not any special case. For the coal room, I'm not sure if that is how it got it, but it has it could get it. It is just the one I think, as I see it often (while watching movies) and it is always alone and always the same. I found a possible way of catching it again, in the basement. I refuse to kill it though, so that is not an option.

snova
October 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I prefer to be called a Pennsylvanian/Texan than American ;)

That sounds so much less silly than "Michigander". :) (At least the way I pronounce it).

Thelasko
October 30th, 2008, 08:36 PM
No coal worth writing home about. The floor is covered in it, but that is it...It is just the one I think, as I see it often (while watching movies) and it is always alone and always the same.

Mice aren't pack animals, they travel alone to avoid being seen. If you see one running around then there are likely more. They probably have a nest in the coal.

When you have one mouse in the house, you will never know it's there. When you see them running around is when they are overcrowded and need to go searching for another source of food.

I would like to add that as lots of animals carry disease, you don't live in close quarters with them. Mice are known for carrying lots of fun diseases, including, but not limited to, Hantavirus, Hemorrhagic fever, and everybody's favorite, the Plague. Seal up any places they could enter, set some traps, and clean up that coal.

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Mice aren't pack animals, they travel alone to avoid being seen. If you see one running around then there are likely more. They probably have a nest in the coal.

When you have one mouse in the house, you will never know it's there. When you see them running around is when they are overcrowded and need to go searching for another source of food.

Good points. I'll check it out. I am not 100% sure it comes up from the basement, but I'm pretty sure. We've made a special effort to keep everything clean which reduced/eliminated any signs of the mouse (I only caught him because of a few dishes I didn't wash immediately, like I usually do).

I will first make sure there is no way to get up from the basement, then investigate the basement. I will also have to check out the cabinets, as there is a hole (for wires) in the back and he could get in that way (if a cabinet door is left open)

snova
October 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
So put something tasty on the floor, and watch how quickly it disappears.

Waiting patiently for the "LaRoza: 12, Mice: 0" thread.

pp.
October 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Since the mouse escaped, this thread should be renamed to LaRoza: 1, Mouse: 1

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Since the mouse escaped, this thread should be renamed to LaRoza: 1, Mouse: 1

No, I'm keeping score. He has to kill or capture me to get a point.

lswest
October 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM
No, I'm keeping score. He has to kill or capture me to get a point.

Would you really change it to LaRoza: 1, Mouse: 1 if he did capture you though? :P I doubt anyone (myself included) would want to admit that lol.

Good luck with the mouse, we get mice in our cottage basement...but we go for a more..."lasting solution".

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Would you really change it to LaRoza: 1, Mouse: 1 if he did capture you though? :P I doubt anyone (myself included) would want to admit that lol.

Well, he'd have to give me mell Dell 910, but if he did, I'd give a report from prison.

Good luck with the mouse, we get mice in our cottage basement...but we go for a more..."lasting solution".
I was going to go for a joke, possibly a godwin, then I saw your location. I guess that'd be bad taste.

lukjad
October 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Well, he'd have to give me mell Dell 910, but if he did, I'd give a report from prison.

I was going to go for a joke, possibly a godwin, then I saw your location. I guess that'd be bad taste.

If you need help catching this mouse, Firefox should be of some use.

:razz:

http://stylefrizz.com/img/mouse-hunt.jpg

forrestcupp
October 31st, 2008, 03:32 PM
OMG! :shock: This one had was brown and had a white underbelly. It must be the same mouse!That's weird because I caught one like that just this year. Only I wasn't nice; I caught it in a trap that kills the mouse. When I found it, I saw teets on it's underbelly. I knew right away to expect more. After that I found a couple of dead baby mice in various places.

Since it looked like that instead of the normal gray, I wondered if it was someone's pet that got loose. Evidently not.

LaRoza
October 31st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Only I wasn't nice; I caught it in a trap that kills the mouse. When I found it, I saw teets on it's underbelly.

Is this some sort of weird furry necrophiliac voyeurism?

LaRoza
October 31st, 2008, 04:17 PM
If you need help catching this mouse, Firefox should be of some use.

:razz:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=avimage&iid=iM.8LTLsPRW4

Dragonbite
October 31st, 2008, 04:36 PM
That's weird because I caught one like that just this year. Only I wasn't nice; I caught it in a trap that kills the mouse. When I found it, I saw teets on it's underbelly. I knew right away to expect more. After that I found a couple of dead baby mice in various places.

Since it looked like that instead of the normal gray, I wondered if it was someone's pet that got loose. Evidently not.

Yeah, we found a mommy mouse a few months ago too.

My wife has mentioned that there is a mouse in a trap in the attic that she needs to clean up but let's just say it was "cannibalized". Other mice tried taking off with parts and found it was still attached.... :evil:

lswest
October 31st, 2008, 05:09 PM

Well, the cottage is actually in Canada, and I'm part german, but feel free to make your joke (long as we all know it's a joke) if you feel like it :P

We mainly set mouse traps because we're gone for the better part of a year every year, and so we can't spend time chasing them when we get back :P

smoker
October 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM
is it white? according to some, white mice are the second most intelligent (or is it first?)species on the planet!

(haven't read D Adams for a while)

anyway, you must look after it, lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p9fyNu67rPA&feature=related

:-)

Sinkingships7
October 31st, 2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/data?pid=avimage&iid=iM.8LTLsPRW4

I stared at this picture for about 20 seconds trying to figure out what in the world your point was before I realized that it's a man singing opera... :lolflag:

afeasfaerw23231233
October 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
It reminds me something terrible happened many years ago
I saw a few mice (3 i thought) caught by a group of teens. You guess what they did, they poured boiled water on it. And they set fire on one mouse that was trapped on a "sticker sheet". I still remembered it cries in a very high-pitch sound, ee--iiii--i...
Though mice are dirty they should not do such inhumane thing on them. Crazy and cruel

LaRoza
October 31st, 2008, 09:05 PM
It reminds me something terrible happened many years ago
I saw a few mice (3 i thought) caught by a group of teens. You guess what they did, they poured boiled water on it. And they set fire on one mouse that was trapped on a "sticker sheet". I still remembered it cries in a very high-pitch sound, ee--iiii--i...
Though mice are dirty they should not do such inhumane thing on them. Crazy and cruel

If you aren't a vegan, realise that the animals you eat and those who give you food are treated in such ways for longer periods of time ;)

Those teens acted in a way that is repulsive, but it is protected and acceptable if they do it to thousands of animals.

Thelasko
October 31st, 2008, 10:01 PM
If you aren't a vegan, realise that the animals you eat and those who give you food are treated in such ways for longer periods of time ;)

Those teens acted in a way that is repulsive, but it is protected and acceptable if they do it to thousands of animals.

The woman I plan to marry is studying to be a veterinary technician. She just recently spent a week out at the feed lots treating cattle. I can assure you that they are not boiled alive. There are laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humane_Slaughter_Act) to prevent such a thing. If you are interested in where beef comes from I suggest you read this article. (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06E5DB153BF932A05750C0A9649C8B 63)

LaRoza
October 31st, 2008, 10:14 PM
The woman I plan to marry is studying to be a veterinary technician. She just recently spent a week out at the feed lots treating cattle. I can assure you that they are not boiled alive. There are laws (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humane_Slaughter_Act) to prevent such a thing. If you are interested in where beef comes from I suggest you read this article. (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06E5DB153BF932A05750C0A9649C8B 63)

Look at the factory farms and the link in Handy's sig called "Earthlings".

Not all are so bad, true, but I have yet to see of an operation of a large size that does anything "humanely".

Also, chickens are often boiled alive (after being "de-beaked") as their killing machines are ineffective at times.

Grant A.
November 1st, 2008, 12:15 AM
I would NOT recommend keeping a feral rodent as a pet. They can harbor many potentially deadly diseases, including, but not limited to:

The Black Plague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death)
Hantavirus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus)

Very deadly diseases indeed. I would however, recommend buying a rodent from a pet store, one that has been bred and born in captivity.

LaRoza
November 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM
I would NOT recommend keeping a feral rodent as a pet. They can harbor many potentially deadly diseases, including, but not limited to:

The Black Plague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death)
Hantavirus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus)

Very deadly diseases indeed. I would however, recommend buying a rodent from a pet store, one that has been bred and born in captivity.

Yes, we already went over this ;) I'm going to evict them and de-mousify the house. (They weren't in the coal room).

Also, it isn't the mice themselves that carried the plague, but the parasites on them (which went onto humans).

A single mouse in the basement isn't going to kill thousands of people ;)

pp.
November 1st, 2008, 12:23 AM

And if he's married?

Grant A.
November 1st, 2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, we already went over this ;) I'm going to evict them and de-mousify the house. (They weren't in the coal room).

Also, it isn't the mice themselves that carried the plague, but the parasites on them (which went onto humans).

Well, feral animals tend to have parasites such as fleas.

LaRoza
November 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM
And if he's married?

There really isn't any place they could be. They aren't upstairs at all, and there are only a few places they could be (which I've checked) if they were living on the first floor. This means it/they are in the basement, and there really isn't a sign of them in any larger numbers. I've only seen one and seen signs of one.

It is possible he has contact outside, but outside mice aren't my concern.

This week end, I'm taking measures to preven them from coming upstairs (there are two ways, one is the basement door (gap in the bottom) and the other is the cabinents under the sink). This means they'll be stuck in the basement or outside.

pp.
November 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
If you're successful, you might manage to confine it to the basement. Until it dies of hunger. Then it rots. The smell is not nice and the cadaver might be difficult to detect.

master5o1
November 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM

http://pet-mice.com/mice_as_pets/index_03.php

• Myth: Mice carry diseases.
• Ever since mice were fingered as the culprits in the transmission bubonic plague hundreds of years ago, they have had a certain stigma as diseased animals. In fact, the mice (and probably some humans) simply carried fleas infected with the plague bacterium. To say that a mouse is inherently prone to carrying disease is absurd. Most wild animals are infected with diseases and parasites. This is a cruel fact of nature and unfortunately many of these animal’s lives are cut short because of it. Our pets have the benefit of clean environments, uninfected food and water, and veterinary medicine and care. This is the reason that domestic pets have much longer and healthier lives than their wild counterparts. Perhaps because mice have only recently become more popular as pets that they still carry this stigma.

nick09
November 1st, 2008, 01:49 AM
Kids these days... I was trying to be mean, but they (all young kids) thought it was funny.

I would find it funny too.

LaRoza
November 1st, 2008, 02:10 AM
Well, my mum just saw the mouse. It is getting out of hand. If it stayed in the basement, fine, but it is not toilet trained (this is one way we know where it has been...) and it is now a risk.

If LL methods can't be used, we'll have to be more strict. He can't say I didn't warn him.

I did hang signs up at his eye level on index cards. Really, I did...

lukjad
November 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM
Looks like you need:

The Great Hunter!

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/349500/349905UBDa_w.jpg

LaRoza
November 1st, 2008, 02:47 AM
Looks like you need:

The Great Hunter!

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/349500/349905UBDa_w.jpg

I'm using sharpened Intrepid disks and making a tunnel in the only place he can get through to get upstairs. Its going to be like Indiana Jones... Only a penitent mouse may pass. God will be his judge and this time, there is no diary.

lukjad
November 1st, 2008, 02:53 AM
I'm using sharpened Intrepid disks and making a tunnel in the only place he can get through to get upstairs. Its going to be like Indiana Jones... Only a penitent mouse may pass. God will be his judge and this time, there is no diary.
Ah, I see. I seem to have found a pic o' the little guy.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016/2513721951_2f923ced06.jpg?v=0

LaRoza
November 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
Ah, I see. I seem to have found a pic o' the little guy.

It seems there is a picture of everything on the internet...

lukjad
November 1st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Except you.

LaRoza
November 1st, 2008, 03:13 AM
Except you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_Queen#Borg_Queen

Frak
November 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
http://technology360.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/waldo.jpg

I <3 where's waldo.

afeasfaerw23231233
November 1st, 2008, 08:08 AM

Yes, I am a vegan. But someone told me I was still killing baterias and microorganism everyday so it didn't make any difference. Furthermore, he said vegetables are alive too.
When I was small I had already seen so many slaughterings. Poultry, fish, frogs, snakes and even dogs. You may find what I am talking about disgusting, but it's my real experience.
An eel is usually cut to half as most customers wouldn't by a whole. The remaining half crawls in bloodshed but is still alive after an hour until another customer buys it too. Frogs are beheaded and the whole piece of skin is pulled off. One time i walked by and a headless frog jumped from the table on my foot. The skin of a snaked is peel off but still jumpy on the ground. Fish are cut from to head down on the back so that each half becomes a perfect horizontal section, which you could see the heart is beating. I don't think you would like to know how to kill a dog. That's more terrifying.
I hated those teens because what they did was simply a torturement with no purpose. Butchers kill the dogs because they have to make a living. Customers buy them cos they have to eat. But those teens did it just for fun. If cruelty could statisfy them then they could just go to the market and there were thousands of slaughterings for them to watch. Poured boiling water slowly on a mouse and they laughted. That's totally unacceptable.
I am a bit "cold-blood" towards animals as I saw too many of these scenes. Although I felt disgusting everytime a walk by a wet market, what i saw simply became "not a thing" to me, that's no good at all. But some foreign torists said with great astonishment," oh??!no?? what is that? what the hell? oh my gosh ... "

lukjad
November 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Ye no ken be fooli' me! That no be ye but an actress portrayin' ye Borgyness! Arrr!

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yes, I am a vegan. But someone told me I was still killing baterias and microorganism everyday so it didn't make any difference. Furthermore, he said vegetables are alive too.

Yes, that is true, but stupid. Try an experiment. Break a branch off a bush, try to kill some sort of insect, and try to kill some mammal. observe. They are not the same.

It is a stupid thing people say, and I ignore it. They don't mean it, and it is meant for themselves.

And speaking of the mouse, it has become (and was) a health hazard, so it is being dealt with. Hopefully, without any pain or violence. We can't risk any disease (it has no toilet training...) and there are kids over sometimes. It isn't a move I wanted to take, but a health hazard is a health hazard.

cardinals_fan
November 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
And speaking of the mouse, it has become (and was) a health hazard, so it is being dealt with. Hopefully, without any pain or violence. We can't risk any disease (it has no toilet training...) and there are kids over sometimes. It isn't a move I wanted to take, but a health hazard is a health hazard.
How would you like it if the mice decided you were a health hazard and "dealt with" you?

:)

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 12:49 AM
How would you like it if the mice decided you were a health hazard and "dealt with" you?

I am a health hazard to them now, as much as I didn't want to.

I consider my niece more important than the mice.

issih
November 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM
My family has a little cottage in the middle of nowhere in Wales. Its always been somewhat ramshackle, and regularly has mice in it. But they are always such stupid mice. We spent a very silly week there once catching several of them literally by moving whatever they were hiding under and putting a saucepan down over them as they cowered.

We then took the lot of them for a little walk to let them go about a mile away near a barn.

They were all very sweet, but the best one was the little guy that hid by running up the drainpipe. He came out after we flushed the toilet a few times looking very bedraggled and sorry for himself....

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
My family has a little cottage in the middle of nowhere in Wales. Its always been somewhat ramshackle, and regularly has mice in it. But they are always such stupid mice. We spent a very silly week there once catching several of them literally by moving whatever they were hiding under and putting a saucepan down over them as they cowered.

They do freeze when they think they are being observed, or run if they can. If you corner them, they will freeze (they will move if you approach them or try to grap them, so you have to be fast). That is how I caught it the first time. I caught it in a place where it couldn't escape. In truth, if it had run past me, I wouldn't have caught it (out of fear of injuring it, and I wouldn't strain myself). It eventually got cornered behind the toaster oven, and I put a long box at one end and reached from the other end (of the toaster) and it run into the box.

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2008, 01:53 PM
is it white? according to some, white mice are the second most intelligent (or is it first?)species on the planet!

(haven't read D Adams for a while)

anyway, you must look after it, lol
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p9fyNu67rPA&feature=related

:-)

Mice are the most intelligent. Dolphins are the 2nd most intelligent. After they leave, we'll be the 2nd most intelligent. :)

init1
November 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM
I finally caught him!

Nice :D
I assume that you have a lambda as your avatar because your previous avatar had one in it, right?

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I assume that you have a lambda as your avatar because your previous avatar had one in it, right?

A lambda? I didn't notice. Must be coincidence.

afeasfaerw23231233
November 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, that is true, but stupid. Try an experiment. Break a branch off a bush, try to kill some sort of insect, and try to kill some mammal. observe. They are not the same.

It is a stupid thing people say, and I ignore it. They don't mean it, and it is meant for themselves.

Not only one time I got a similar argument from the other people. But to my suprise was that one guy asked if I am a Nazi. I asked him why and he said, "Don't you know Nazi had an infamous slogan 'Jews are human beings but microorganism are living things also!'?" That made me didn't know what to say.

Nice :D

Doesn't lamda stand for L? Some guys in physicforums sometimes type "fake greek" in their chat room for fun.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/7c2933431c.gif (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Tux.Ice
November 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Þe lambda cant really be turned into english...

LaRoza
November 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V25m76tphDI

snova
November 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
I take it you won?

LaRoza: 2, Mouse: 0

lukjad
November 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Uhhhhh.... you are going on a crusade? There was only one pic and some really loud music, no vocals. Is there a reference I'm not picking up on?

LaRoza
November 3rd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Uhhhhh.... you are going on a crusade? There was only one pic and some really loud music, no vocals. Is there a reference I'm not picking up on?

really loud music? Solution: adjust speakers.

No vocals? Not usually in that piece.

If the title didn't help, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_march

lukjad
November 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
really loud music? Solution: adjust speakers.

No vocals? Not usually in that piece.

If the title didn't help, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_march
Well, I never saw the title as youtube isn't working for me right now and I just don't care enough to fix it. So, may I ask how you are posting from the grave? Did they send down a wireless computer with a crank?

LaRoza
November 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Well, I never saw the title as youtube isn't working for me right now and I just don't care enough to fix it. So, may I ask how you are posting from the grave? Did the y send down a wireless computer with a crank?

Youtube wasn't working? How did you listen to it?

It was just a funeral marche.

lukjad
November 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
1) youtube-dl

2) I know. Yours, right?

snova
November 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Since when can you kill Borg?

lukjad
November 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
I can't. But I have faith in Mouse.

LaRoza
November 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
I can't. But I have faith in Mouse.

Sorry to shatter your universe ;)

The mouse is dead. He has no next of kin, and apparently, no friends (besides me). It was most likely a male.

lukjad
November 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry to shatter your universe ;)

The mouse is dead. He has no next of kin, and apparently, no friends (besides me). It was most likely a male.
Oh. And I had the signs all ready:
LaRoza 1 Mouse 1
:(