PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is Ubuntu Server?

twintwo3
October 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Hello,

I have been using Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Edition for a couple months (Im using it right now) and I really like it for someone who has been using windows forever. But what exactly is "Server Edition". Do you install on a computer to make it a dedicated online server for stuff like email and website hosting?

Im sorry if this has been asked before but I would really appreciate an answer.

garyedwardjohnston
October 30th, 2008, 04:18 AM
A server is simply a computer that serves other computers. For example, shred directories, applications, databases, email and web sites, etc.

If you are asking this question, you certainly don't need the server edition. It is nothing like the desktop edition.

On the other hand if you did have a spare computer you could take a look. You won't like what you see because servers are for very advanced users but this might be something to kill a few hours and tinker with.

Servers are really quite boring things :)

twintwo3
October 30th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Well I certainly didn't expect this to be somthing like desktop edition.

Anyway I do have a spare computer that I used to use and my bro is a computer whiz and he can try to figure out anything.

I googled what ubuntu server was and I found this

"Using Debian as a foundation, the Ubuntu Server Edition, also called Ubuntu server, offers support for several common configurations, and also simplifies common Linux server deployment processes. Standard Internet services such as e-mail, Web, DNS, file serving and database management can be integrated."

But what I am trying to ask is can I use Ubuntu server to host a website or can you do that with any ordinary computer?

Girya
October 30th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Well I certainly didn't expect this to be somthing like desktop edition.

Anyway I do have a spare computer that I used to use and my bro is a computer whiz and he can try to figure out anything.

I googled what ubuntu server was and I found this

"Using Debian as a foundation, the Ubuntu Server Edition, also called Ubuntu server, offers support for several common configurations, and also simplifies common Linux server deployment processes. Standard Internet services such as e-mail, Web, DNS, file serving and database management can be integrated."

But what I am trying to ask is can I use Ubuntu server to host a website?

yes, I use mine to host a website on my local network for backups and a WIKI. The hard part for me was getting used to no GUI but it was a good learning experience.

alienprdkt
October 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM
You can run the same applications on the desktop version, ie. web hosting, email, dns, etc...
server edition has no gui (command line only), much more light weight for better performance. I don't run my LAMP (web server) with the server edition, because I am not familiar with the linux directory structure yet (but am getting pretty close), but have a gui-less gentoo router, because I don't need to access the directories that much on a system that just runs dns, dhcp, with iptables.

hyper_ch
October 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM
hosting a website at home is not very difficult... however it requires a bit of work :)

Kolipoki
October 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
A server is simply a computer that serves other computers. For example, shred directories, applications, databases, email and web sites, etc.

If you are asking this question, you certainly don't need the server edition. It is nothing like the desktop edition.

On the other hand if you did have a spare computer you could take a look. You won't like what you see because servers are for very advanced users but this might be something to kill a few hours and tinker with.

Servers are really quite boring things :)
I guess the first sentence is the best description. On my side, two or three month ago I was totally unaware of the benefits and challenges of a server. Today, at 53 years old, I'm having the time of my life working with Ubuntu Server Edition for the first time, and loving it.

I do believe this OS, in both desktop and server editions, is changing the world for good as we speak. The suggestion of trying it with a spare computer is good.