PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu install caused problem on DCHP server.

ivaarsen
October 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Heya guys. I've got an interesting one for you.

I recently attempted to start an install process on a machine using the 8.04.1 Alternate CD. I was on a mission to try out the OEM installation feature, so I was using OEM mode during the alternate install. I discovered something interesting and (maybe) potentially alarming.

Even though there's a Windows 2003 Server machine providing DCHP, I found that the DCHP query didn't work. Then, out of coincidence, another machine I had brought up on the network also couldn't get a DCHP address. This was the first thing I noticed.

It didn't take me long to start looking at my DCHP server, and to my horror, ALL (and I mean ALL) of the addresses in the DCHP pool that didn't have a lease already showed as a BAD_ADDRESS, and NO (and I mean NONE of the) addresses were available for new DCHP clients. For some reason Ubuntu rejected all of the addresses?

I confirmed this over and over by accident. I would delete the BAD_ADDRESSes out of the DCHP server and then immediately try to obtain an address in my Ubuntu install; same result. I was, however able to obtain an address with another machine after I deleted the BAD_ADDRESSes, but before I queried the DCHP server with my Ubuntu install. It took me shutting of the culprit machine to figure it out. It stopped happening after that.

I don't have any screen shots or anything to prove this, and I haven't tried to recreate it yet. I just wanted to know: Has anybody ever heard of this kind of scenario? Where a DCHP query clogs up a DCHP server like that? :confused: