PDA

View Full Version : Do you give blood?

jc87
November 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Since we usually only discust ubuntu and computers related matters in the community chat (geeks will always be geeks) , i think this is a serious matter , good for us to discust.

Do you give blood? yes , no? how often? why?

I´ve been thinking about this almost a year , and now that i´m almost doing eighteen , i already discussed this with some friends and relatives , and i decide to donate as soon as i can , and already convinced a friend to donate to.

P.S. I already did a search by the word blood , but i didn´t find any relative to this topic.

Brunellus
November 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Yes. Sadly, I've only given blood twice in the past five years--I was disqualified for several years due to the ongoing BSE/CJD (aka Mad Cow) scare, since I'd lived in the UK during that time.

I last gave blood in July, and I intend to give again when I'm not being dogged by my usual winter cold. (I get sick easily in the wintertime).

If you have ever needed a transfusion, or known anyone who did, you know how important it is to donate blood.

earobinson
November 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM
2X also (hate nedles)

Sheinar
November 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I would more than happily donate blood if I wasn't so petrified about having blood drawn from me.

gord
November 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
i gave blood last week infact and do so about twice a year. where i live the ammount of people that give blood is a good amount so they only need to do it twice to most people, instead of the usuall three times. its one hour out of your life and you get to save another life, good deal if you ask me.

its also very painless, if you have ever been scratched by a naughty kitten then you have felt more pain. its something everyone should do.

for those in the uk, you can get more info (including googlemaps style info on where and when your local donating center is up and running) you can visit the national blood service's website at http://www.blood.co.uk/

and on another note, they allways have the best biscuits! no digestives or the like, pengins, jammy dodgers and even mint clubs! they are also possibly the nicest people i have ever met in my life.

Pablo_Escobar
November 28th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I'd wish to donate, but i can't - jaundice I had some years back. Now my blood is no intrest to anyone :(

Stormy Eyes
November 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Not in the last year, since I had gotten a tattoo on my shoulder.

az
November 28th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Often.

Biased turkey
November 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I'd wish to donate, but i can't - jaundice I had some years back. Now my blood is no intrest to anyone :(

Me too, I wanted to donate blood ( My grandfather and my father were both giving blood ). But I didn't even pass the form filling stage at the blood clinic because the 1st question I asked was: " May I give blood if I had an hepatitis when I was a kid ?" ( that's true, I had it when I was 7 ).
Too bad.

Malphas
November 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Can't because I've had blood transfusions.

cstudent
November 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Every 2 months since my Mother was diagnosed with cancer about 3 years ago. She had to have several transfusions and I felt I'd better do something to give back. She has sinced passed on, but I still keep giving. In fact today is the day to give again at my local fire station. I'll be there after work.

Bill

welsh_spud
November 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I would like to donate blood as often as possible, but alas i'm too young

jyank
November 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I've done it twice, both times when I was in high school. At my school you needed a certain amount of community service hours, so the school would sponser blood drives for students to get the hours. Did it once in the fall semester, once in the spring

disabled_20220313
November 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Just started giving blood. Just a week or two ago.

I am petrified of needles, though its a relativly painless procedure. Only mild discomfort really.

Looking forward to giving again, where else can I lie on my back, feel good and get free food afterwards ........................... :rolleyes:

Now want to convince all my pansy of a bunch of mates to do it.

Here's a note :

Birmingham University have banned the Blood service from asking for donations during freshers week (before they attempt to replace it with beer), as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transexual society cannot protest against them.

transactionlogfiller
November 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I've given a few times in the past, but I've lapsed over the last 5 years because of one thing or another.

I just re-registered last week but, due to being in a country with malaria on vacation, I won't be able to bleed for another 6 months. I'm looking forward to getting started again.

matthew
November 28th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I started giving blood when I was 17 (with a permission slip form my parents) and I used to give blood about every 2-3 months. Then I travelled to some interesting places in South America and they wouldn't let me donate any more. Since then I have been in even more interesting places in Africa and Southeast Asia and my blood is no longer welcome as a donation.

Kudos to those who can and do donate!!

aysiu
November 28th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I used to do it a lot, but recently I've gotten lazy.
Someone who drew blood from me complimented me on my veins, though. If I ever turn drug user, I'll have an easy time of it, I suppose.

N8MAN1068
November 28th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Not in the last year, since I had gotten a tattoo on my shoulder.

Word. Red Cross won't let me either. I think they will if you go a year without a tat....but for me, that hasn't happened in 6 years or so. I used to volunteer for the blood drives to work the boothes.

Other than that, I'm a big sissy. last time I had blood taken for some work I passed out. haha. I can sit forever getting a tattoo done, but can't hold still for 5 minutes to get a bit of blood out.:???:

erikpiper
November 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I am too young and I doubt I ever will- too many "weird" places.

somuchfortheafter
November 28th, 2005, 11:20 PM
I used to do it a lot, but recently I've gotten lazy.
Someone who drew blood from me complimented me on my veins, though. If I ever turn drug user, I'll have an easy time of it, I suppose.

I got a similar response, however were you ever told "My that blood is comming out awefully fast"? i think not sir, actually i took like 8 caffiene pills as a joke with my friends and gave blood so my heart would speed up *pills werent that strong I think mints have a bigger kick* alas i will donate again the next chance i get.

xequence
November 28th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Nope, I havnt. Needles scare me extremly...

If I ever turn drug user, I'll have an easy time of it, I suppose.

Dont get ideas.

majikstreet
November 28th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I'm too young..... and I'm worse than petrified of needles... I can't have shots, tests, IV's, blood drawn.. it's horrible!

My grandfather is a freemason, and he runs his lodge's bloodmobiles.. I've helped at one before.. Still seems painful!

matthew
November 29th, 2005, 12:18 AM
I'm too young..... Still seems painful!For you and xequence: when you get a bit older give it a go at least once. It isn't nearly as painful as you would expect. Just make sure to eat first and don't show up dehydrated. One time I fainted because I hadn't eaten all day and somehow thought giving blood was still a good idea. Another time I was a bit dehydrated and the blood draw took a lot longer than usual.

Blynder
November 29th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Actually I used to give plasma, I got $50.00 a week doing it $20.00 and then $30.00, but despite the money I felt pretty good. With the job that I have now I don't have time, but if I ever had the chance I would do it again in a second.

otake-tux
November 29th, 2005, 03:46 AM
I have donated blood many times. I like to help as much as I can and since I'm an O- type I can help a lot of people.

jrib
November 29th, 2005, 03:55 AM
A couple of times there has been a local blood drive and I told myself I would but the date passed and I never signed up. I've been meaning to though. I figure I can help someone and it doesn't really cost me anything other than a few minutes of my time. Next time they have one on campus, I'm definitely going to make more of an effort to go to it.

megamania
November 29th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I've been giving blood 4 times a year since 2001 (I'm 35).

It's not painful as some imagine, and I consider it the least we can do to help the "others".

I'm just surprised to read that someone gives blood every two months, as you're not allowed to do that so often nor in Italy nor anywhere else I know of.

But I'm more surprised to see how many people don't give blood - I'm sure that the day we need to receive blood we all expect it to be promptly available. Can I compare it to the "open source" philosophy? If you want it to be there when you need it, start giving. :-)

cstudent
November 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
For you and xequence: when you get a bit older give it a go at least once. It isn't nearly as painful as you would expect. Just make sure to eat first and don't show up dehydrated. One time I fainted because I hadn't eaten all day and somehow thought giving blood was still a good idea. Another time I was a bit dehydrated and the blood draw took a lot longer than usual.

I found out that giving can affect you for a week or so. I was into running half marathons and I ran a few full marathons. I had a half coming up one time and gave blood about a week before. I thought I would OK with a week. It was all I could do to get through the race.

BTW I gave yesterday after work.

Bill

YourSurrogateGod
November 29th, 2005, 04:42 PM
<<delete>>

transactionlogfiller
January 1st, 2006, 11:02 PM
I got a similar response, however were you ever told "My that blood is comming out awefully fast"? i think not sir, actually i took like 8 caffiene pills as a joke with my friends and gave blood so my heart would speed up *pills werent that strong I think mints have a bigger kick* alas i will donate again the next chance i get.

I too have been complimented on my veins, and told I am a fast bleeder.

majikstreet
January 1st, 2006, 11:10 PM
For you and xequence: when you get a bit older give it a go at least once. It isn't nearly as painful as you would expect. Just make sure to eat first and don't show up dehydrated. One time I fainted because I hadn't eaten all day and somehow thought giving blood was still a good idea. Another time I was a bit dehydrated and the blood draw took a lot longer than usual.
I've had blood drawn for medical stuff, and I still can't stand it.

mstlyevil
January 1st, 2006, 11:16 PM
I can't because of exposure to Hepatits. I never got sick from it though.

bonzodog
January 2nd, 2006, 12:53 AM
I'm banned in Ireland because I'm british. They banned anyone who has lived in the UK in the last 5 years from giving blood because of the BSE/CJD scares. So, i'm not allowed to give blood, otherwise I would happily do so.

mjkey
January 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM
It was available when I needed it. So its my responsibility to give as often as allowed.:D

chimera
January 2nd, 2006, 02:10 AM
No, because doing so might help someone else sin (by recieving my blood), and I'm not about to ruin anyone's chance to go to heaven.

mstlyevil
January 2nd, 2006, 02:30 AM
No, because doing so might help someone else sin (by recieving my blood), and I'm not about to ruin anyone's chance to go to heaven.

You could have just said no because it is against my religious beliefs or that I'm a devout Jehovahs witness. (Or whatever religion you belong to.)

23meg
January 2nd, 2006, 02:33 AM
I don't and won't; I don't trust my blood.

Mr. Electric Wizard
January 2nd, 2006, 02:33 AM
Twice a year.
I'm all "rare" and stuff so they always want my blood...:p

eriqk
January 2nd, 2006, 03:12 AM
I'd love to, but I'm not allowed to. Got hepatitis as a kid.

Groet, Erik

TeeAhr1
January 2nd, 2006, 03:45 AM
They don't let people like me (bisexuals) give blood in America.

Rather than start bitching about that (because I could), let me ask this question, to satisfy my curiousity: can anyone from outside the United States tell me whether the rules are the same in their nation?

eriqk
January 2nd, 2006, 03:55 AM
They don't let people like me (bisexuals) give blood in America.

Rather than start bitching about that (because I could), let me ask this question, to satisfy my curiousity: can anyone from outside the United States tell me whether the rules are the same in their nation?

It's similar in the Neitherlands. I've only ever heard this about homosexual men, but since the same reason applies (STDs, mostly, especially HIV because of the long incubation time) I suspect this is true for bisexuals, too.
There have been many protests, but to no avail.
I suppose all heterosexuals practice safe sex and refrain from anal sex, then.

Groet, Erik

pmj
January 2nd, 2006, 04:39 AM
I'd like to give blood, but I'm convinced that my blood is of no use to anyone. It's probably full of disease and stuff.

mstlyevil
January 2nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
I'd like to give blood, but I'm convinced that my blood is of no use to anyone. It's probably full of disease and stuff.

You probally have your reasons for believing this but I beg you to get tested for STD's or other diseases you think you might have. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to HIV, Hepatitis or other diseases.

Titus A Duxass
January 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
I used to give blood 2 -3 times per year (tea & biscuits helped), but I am no longer allowed because I lived in the UK!

anil_robo
January 2nd, 2006, 07:10 PM
I have donated blood eleven times so far in the last six years. I wished to complete a dozen mark by this time, but then I moved on to US, and they don't accept Indian blood! :D I'll donate when I visit home in summer vacations this year! :) If doctors don't donate blood, who else will?