PDA

View Full Version : I want my 8.10, how much more I should wait?

legolas_w
October 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi
I think it is time to see 8.10 DVD images on the mirrors but I can not find it anywhere, does anyone know when Canonical is going to put the bits available for download?

Thanks

kernelhaxor
October 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Have patience, mate .. home page still says 1 day to go .. its actually still the 29th for me .. in the UK too where Canonical is based

Mazza558
October 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Any time tomorrow, though it depends where you live.

Xzoky
October 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
The ISOs will be released sometime between 0:00 and 23:59 GMT, on the 30th of October I suppose, since Canonical is based in the UK ...
It's just like waiting for Santa, eh ? :P

billgoldberg
October 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Download the rc and install it.

Tomorrow you'll get some updates and you'll be on the final.

Ubuntu's servers will get hammered tomorrow, so a download from their servers will take a few hours.

You could try the torrent, but I don't know if it will get good speeds.

I believe (atleast with 8.04 this was the case) that they have a special download area for the mirrors. You can get it from there before it hits the official pages.

pluckypigeon
October 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
How can you check what intrepid version you have?

Sam
October 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM
How can you check what intrepid version you have?

lsb_release -a

aeiah
October 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM

I believe (atleast with 8.04 this was the case) that they have a special download area for the mirrors. You can get it from there before it hits the official pages.

if i remember, last time the torrents were pretty quick. think i was downloading at about 1200kb/s, which is about max for me here. i suggest everyone who can use the torrents do so and save the mirrors some money and stress.

as for grabbing the iso from the place set up for mirrors, its also a little bit rude. its not meant for 300 forum users to use, its meant for the mirror owners so they can help support canonical.

incidentally, im gonna be in bruges next week. i shall keep my eye out for any cylons if im sober enough.

waapwoop1
October 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hi
I think it is time to see 8.10 DVD images on the mirrors but I can not find it anywhere, does anyone know when Canonical is going to put the bits available for download?

Thanks

Must be in australia like me. Its the 31st for us I think.

elmer_42
October 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Last time there were numerous reports of people maxing out their connections with the torrent. I highly recommend using the torrent to lighten the load on Canonical's servers.

And to be more on topic, you should wait at least one month after the official release date. By then all the major wrinkles will be ironed out and you should be more successful in your Intrepid endeavors.

aeiah
October 29th, 2008, 11:55 PM
i agree. i usually download the torrent as soon as i can so people can download from me, but i wait a while to see if any massive problems arise.

how long was it between 8.04 and 8.04.1 by the way? anyone know off the top of their head?

init1
October 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
If it does indeed happen at 12:00 GMT, then there should only be another hour to go

legolas_w
October 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Wow,
What more included in 8.10 which cause its size to grow something about 400 Megabytes?
8.4 is something around 3.7G while 8.10 is something around 4.1. :-D

zachtib
October 30th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Last time there were numerous reports of people maxing out their connections with the torrent. I highly recommend using the torrent to lighten the load on Canonical's servers.

I'll be seeding all day, last time I got a seed ratio of 10 on a Hardy torrent before my ISP reset my internet. :D

pluckypigeon
October 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM
lsb_release -a

That doesn't show you the version of intrepid it shows you the version of ubuntu

Tom--d
October 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Wow,
What more included in 8.10 which cause its size to grow something about 400 Megabytes?
8.4 is something around 3.7G while 8.10 is something around 4.1. :-D

They are both just under 700MB to fit onto a CD.

You talking about the DVD version?

legolas_w
October 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yeh, I mean the DVD version.

Thanks.

bobbocanfly
October 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM
i agree. i usually download the torrent as soon as i can so people can download from me, but i wait a while to see if any massive problems arise.

how long was it between 8.04 and 8.04.1 by the way? anyone know off the top of their head?

Its normally a couple of months. IIRC it comes out just before halfway through the development cycle, which is about 2 and a bit months in.

Packages "recommends" are now installed by default now. This means that all the packages that developers recommend you install with all the stuff that was on the disc last time is also installed, which is probably quite a bit of software.[/QUOTE]