PDA

View Full Version : Mac Software In Ubuntu?

Tlon
October 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM
My workstation at home is a Ubuntu box, but I've got a Mac for work. There are some Mac-only apps that are simply phenomenally clever. While there are multiple solutions to the dilemma of running Windows apps on Ubuntu, I haven't come across any that I know of for running Mac apps. Even though I understand the economics involved, I'm still surprised about this, because the heritage of OSX and Linux makes it seem like it should be a lot easier feat to accomplish than getting Win apps to work. Am I missing something here?

fatality_uk
October 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Contains swearing. Apologies if offends anyone :| But make the point :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAJDbV9Vfs

SunnyRabbiera
October 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
yeh currently there isnt a "wine for OSX apps", its just a major priority right now

earthpigg
October 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
well, in the case of my computer - linux does look exactly like os x ;)

(well, some days. right now my 'theme' is just a random collection of a bunch of theme parts thrown together into some unholy abomination.)

billgoldberg
October 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
My workstation at home is a Ubuntu box, but I've got a Mac for work. There are some Mac-only apps that are simply phenomenally clever. While there are multiple solutions to the dilemma of running Windows apps on Ubuntu, I haven't come across any that I know of for running Mac apps. Even though I understand the economics involved, I'm still surprised about this, because the heritage of OSX and Linux makes it seem like it should be a lot easier feat to accomplish than getting Win apps to work. Am I missing something here?

If you tell us what kind of programs you are looking for, we might provide alternatives.

Bölvağur
October 30th, 2008, 02:57 AM
My friend has mac version of mathlab, which had to be hacked a little bit to be run. I think he was running debian.