PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password problem

petersmart
October 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi,

I've just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows XP Pro.

The problem is that it keeps asking me for my name and password and won't start.

I didn't put in any password while I was installing it and no matter what I try all I get is an "Incorrect name or password" message.

How do I actually get past this?

I don't actually have a password installed for Windows.

Pumalite
October 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
This might help:
http://nixcraft.com/getting-started-tutorials/3293-create-new-user-account-ubuntu-linux-command-line.html

petersmart
October 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Nope that didn't help'

I got the grub> command line but when I typed in useradd sweta or passwd sweta all I got was an "incorrect command" message.

oldos2er
October 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I've just installed Ubuntu on my PC alongside Windows XP Pro.

The problem is that it keeps asking me for my name and password and won't start.

I didn't put in any password while I was installing it and no matter what I try all I get is an "Incorrect name or password" message.

How do I actually get past this?

I don't actually have a password installed for Windows.

If you didn't enter a username and password when you installed Ubuntu, something is seriously wrong. Did you install from the Live CD? If so, did you run 'Check CD for defects' or md5sum first?

petersmart
October 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
No I used the Ubuntu installer which downloaded all the files etc then I installed it.

petersmart
October 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I solved the problem - it was my own fault - I had forgotten the username and password I DID put in at installation!
Thanks for the help.